W.A.R.S. System -- Questions, suggestions, and feedback

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
KG_Kharkov said:
I would agree that player 1 has a better record, but his victory percentage is not 100% -- he has only won half of his games. It's really a non-loss percentage that you are showing. Where it really doesn't make sense for example is when a guy is 1-0-3. A guy like that has won just 1 of 4 games yet shows up with a 100% victory percentage. In addition, there are different levels of losses and victories in CM, so in fact, Player 2 could be just as good -- maybe he has all Total Victories and all Minor Losses while Player 1 has just squeaked by in his victories.

Just throwing that out there. Maybe it's just really a question of labelling the column correctly -- otherwise, to a lot of people, I don't think it would make sense on first blush.

Just putting that out there.
You make excellent points! One question the staff struggled with while designing W.A.R.S is "who is the ladder leader?"

We decided that each section or even each player can decide! W.A.R.S gives you the ability to order the players how you decide. Here are just a few examples (for the CM Ladder) that any player generate with the W.A.R.S - View the Ladder option:
We could also look at relabeling the column. What would you suggest as a different label? Maybe "Win/Lose Ratio"? The beauty of W.A.R.S. is that WE can easily change this label (and the calculation!)

Menschenfresser

The Amazing Rando
Reaction score
In reference to the victory calculation, it makes no difference to me, but I'm wondering whether you considered counting draws as .5?

So while your 5 wins and 5 losses guy would have a 50%, your 5 wins 5 draws guy would have a 67%.

Like I said, ladder numbers aren't that important to me, but the above sounds a little better than giving someone 100% while having 5 draws on their record. If you think about it, someone who plays 20 games and draws every single one, is actually a pretty good player in many respects.

EDIT: And I really like the new system! Primo piece of websiting. Hats off to the admins!

Last edited:

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Menschenfresser said:
In reference to the victory calculation, it makes no difference to me, but I'm wondering whether you considered counting draws as .5?
I like that idea! Let me take that to the rest of the staff.

Menschenfresser said:
EDIT: And I really like the new system! Primo piece of websiting. Hats off to the admins!
Thx!

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
This makes sense to me too. a guy who is 1-0-20 shouldn't be listed as 100%.

KG_Kharkov

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like that as well -- basically it would be a system that resembles hockey in a lot of aspects with ties counting half as much as wins.

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
What browser and version are you using? The "Quick Links" menu is a basic part of VBulletin itself. I have never heard of anyone else reporting this error, so I'm guessing you are using a browser I'm not familiar with.
Microsoft Internet Explorer - Mac and PC.

Is there a control or link on this page that displays a label that specifically shows the phrase "Quick Links" to the viewer? If so, I am not seeing that phrase on either my Mac or my PC.

I suspect this is a human to human communication problem based on one party using inside jargon (perhaps a VBulletin feature name) that is not familiar to the other party. The phrase "Quick Links" doesn't communicate anything to me so I unsuccessfully look for those words on the page while you probably pull your hair out wondering why I am so dense. :)

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Temujin said:
In relation Steel Panthers, how do we submit a report as there are no listed scenarios in the game report section, also will we be able to submit random generated battles?
Yes, you will. Because so many use the Battle Generator in SPWAW and there are so many custom scenario's out there for these games the possible scenario name combinations could be endless. I am working on converting the data for all the stock scenarios for SPWAW into a spreadsheet so we can get them uploaded. This is not easy task :cry: . Also we are awaiting the release of SPMBT 3.0 and the included scenario's for it. Then I can begin the spreadsheet process for it as well.

Temujin

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Double Deuce said:
Yes, you will. Because so many use the Battle Generator in SPWAW and there are so many custom scenario's out there for these games the possible scenario name combinations could be endless. I am working on converting the data for all the stock scenarios for SPWAW into a spreadsheet so we can get them uploaded. This is not easy task :cry: . Also we are awaiting the release of SPMBT 3.0 and the included scenario's for it. Then I can begin the spreadsheet process for it as well.
OK, i pity you :drink: have one on me, sounds like a big job.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
MajorH said:
Microsoft Internet Explorer - Mac and PC.

Is there a control or link on this page that displays a label that specifically shows the phrase "Quick Links" to the viewer? If so, I am not seeing that phrase on either my Mac or my PC.

I suspect this is a human to human communication problem based on one party using inside jargon (perhaps a VBulletin feature name) that is not familiar to the other party. The phrase "Quick Links" doesn't communicate anything to me so I unsuccessfully look for those words on the page while you probably pull your hair out wondering why I am so dense.
Actually, that may not be the problem this time. "Quick Links" is an exact quote. You should see a navigation bar toward the top of the forum. The VBulletin links listed on it from left to right should be:

User CP
FAQ
Members List
Calendar
Search
Quick Links
W.A.R.S. (Ladder)
Log Out

Search, Quick Links, and W.A.R.S. all bring up a pop-up menu or cascading link list. If you're not seeing that, then there is a browser problem. VBulletin is supposed to be cross-browser compatible with all browsers so I'm not sure why this is a problem.

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
PC only. I have the "Quick Links" item now at the top of the page and it does work proplerly as a cascading menu item. As do several other items on that line plus additional items near the top of the page that I have not seen before - Thread Tools, Search This Thread, Rate Thread, and Display Modes. In order to see these items I needed to log out on the Mac and then log in using a PC.

Macintosh only. It looks like cascading menu items do not work or display as cascading menus on my Mac. I run Mac OS9. It is possible that these items work properly on a Mac running OSX. I will check the next time I am messing around with OSX.

Not something to worry about either way. If I ever need any of those features I can switch to a nearby PC.

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just checked and the cascading menu items do not display nor work for me on Mac OSX either. Mac G4, OSX v10.2.8, Microsoft Explorer for Mac v 5.2.

Perhaps a newer version of OSX would be OK or a newer Mac version of Microsoft Explorer. Don't put any work into this on my behalf. However, you might want to ask around to see if there are other Mac users here who might be running the latest versions of everything in the OSX world to see if cascading menus work for them.

Secadegas

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
TOAW new point system

I've been "moving around" on the new ladder and i must say that's a brilliant work :love: !!! Congratulations

Speaking about the new point system i think it's much fair to consider the new scenario complexity formula than the old "huge (x1.04) bonus". But i'm afraid the example given isn't correct. Please check it again...

Is the W.A.R.S. ready to receive news batlle reports?

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Secadegas said:
Speaking about the new point system i think it's much fair to consider the new scenario complexity formula than the old "huge (x1.04) bonus". But i'm afraid the example given isn't correct. Please check it again...
Grrr .... how'd I miss that! Fix it, thx.

Secadegas said:
Is the W.A.R.S. ready to receive news batlle reports?
YES! You just need to make sure that you and your opponent have both joined the ladder. Your names will then appear on the pick list for reporting a game.

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Menschenfresser said:

So while your 5 wins and 5 losses guy would have a 50%, your 5 wins 5 draws guy would have a 67%.

Like I said, ladder numbers aren't that important to me, but the above sounds a little better than giving someone 100% while having 5 draws on their record. If you think about it, someone who plays 20 games and draws every single one, is actually a pretty good player in many respects.

And so it is ... a draw now counts for .5 so that a player with nothing but draws will have a 50% victory rate.

Tiberius

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I noticed an error in one of my game reports. Middle East 2000, I am reported as Israeli, JoeBob as Arab, but it is the other way around. I don't know if we reported the game wrong or what. We should correct it though, otherwise it will throw off the scenario stats.

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tiberius said:
I noticed an error in one of my game reports. Middle East 2000, I am reported as Israeli, JoeBob as Arab, but it is the other way around. I don't know if we reported the game wrong or what. We should correct it though, otherwise it will throw off the scenario stats.
Do you know remember if the Arab's are side 1 or side2?

Wolf

Reaction score
Country
ll
WestPointer said:
Do you know remember if the Arab's are side 1 or side2?
The Israelies start in that one so that should make them side 1.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great Work

Nice work guys. The only additional feature that would be nice (maybe it's there somewhere) is a search tool, so I could put in the name of a scenario someone wanted to play me, without having to search for the scenario manually. Not a big deal though.

Anyway, I was one of the guys asking for this and I think you've done a great job.

Thanks!!

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gnrl Confusion said:
Nice work guys. The only additional feature that would be nice (maybe it's there somewhere) is a search tool, so I could put in the name of a scenario someone wanted to play me, without having to search for the scenario manually. Not a big deal though.
I'd started doing that ... now I finished it! Look at the bottom of the View Ladder options. :cheeky: