VotG24 Raid on Radimtsev anybody play it?

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi ya-

probably going to give this one a go Saturday, anybody try it. Thoughts?

Scott

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scott,
Played this one a few years back against my regular opponent,with myself as the Germans. Ended early as Russians set up weak in the middle and I blew a hole in his line at that weak point and rolled up both his flanks. Looks like it would have been a slugfest if not for that bad setup.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, played it against Major Spurlock. We both rate it highly. Though you need PMC as the German vs the Russian sniper. I had my Russian sniper go 27 for 35.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just saw the date of the battle, I though the Germans had secured that area by the end of september. As for the sniper, deploy a bunch of HS's and keep them near the russian sniper, the Germans have plenty of 447's to do this mission with. And when the sniper activates, hopefully it will land near a group of these HS's and they can go TI and reduce the SAN #.

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I also agree, this is a very good scenario. I won by 2 points as the Russians, but a real dogfight to the end.

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The scenario seems very realistic as to how the front line "should' have looked as daybreak begins. The Germans have a "picket line" along the front line of 1st and 2nd line troops. The main assault troops for the morning are massed up just behind the front lines ready for their break through attempts. Tom Morin has SSRs that pretty much spell out how the Germans have to set up to reflect this. I know some ASLers do not like heavy handed SSRs that restrict their set up options. I feel however that these set-up SSRs really re-create the feel of Stalingrad.

Scott could not make it Saturday so we deferred this to next week.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi ya-

Bob and I did play this scenario today and it is loads of fun. But my Germans just did not have enough bodies left to repel the Russian counter attacks. The whole picket line in the initial set up for the Germans is an interesting dynamic, the Germans will need to really think about where they place their assets. The mistake I made I think, was trying to smash my way through the middle and the south which costed me a few squads and really did not make an effort to go after Pavlovs House initially. If I was to play the Germans again, I think attacking from the north might be a better option.

All in all, great scenario, a bit tough on the learning curve but I would highly recommend this action.