VotG1 & CGs - Ferry Landing Interdiction and Smoke/FFE Hindrance

WBRP

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've just sent the following message off to Tom Morin. I'll post the reply to the Q&A sticky once I have received it.
---------
Tom,

I’ve tried searching/perusing the Gamesquad site for an answer with no luck, so I’m going straight to you. We’re nearing the end of our First Bid playing, and I realised I might not have interpreted the CG12.1 INTERDICTION rules properly. According to my current reading, any SMOKE/HE FFE left at game end will still be on map and hence will block Interdiction because it is considered LOS Hindrance rather than LV Hindrance. This would be true even for a CG Scenario because Ferry Landing Interdiction (V12.602) occurs before FFE/SMOKE is removed from the map (V12.603).

However, we’ve been plugging along assuming SMOKE/FFE Hindrance would not affect Ferry Landing Interdiction...does it? It makes a considerable difference to VotG1 because Interdiction can be broken simply by a late game SMOKE placement, especially by the Off-Board Observer’s OBA battery. If this is the case, then it really puts the onus on the Germans to get to the bank rather than setting up a series of MG/MTR/ATR nests in the Level 2 of buildings.

If this was not the design intent and FFE/SMOKE is supposed to be ignored for Ferry Landing Interdiction, it needs an erratum.

Brent

WBRP

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That’s how we played it – as written. Just seemed odd that something as temporary as Ordnance/FFE SMOKE (or even CX, come to think of it) could effect something that feels longer term, but the rules are definitely clear as written.

Turned out not to matter as my feldgrau boys were able to overrun the river bank in the VotG1 we just finished yesterday afternoon..

-----Original Message-----
From: tmorin2454@comcast.net [mailto:tmorin2454@comcast.net]
Sent: Sunday, July 11, 2010 1:41 PM
To: b3b@telusplanet.net
Subject: Re: Ferry Landing Interdiction & SMOKE/FFE Hindrance

Brent,

Yes, Smoke/FFE Hindrances would negate interdiction.

Regards,

Tom
----- Original Message -----
To: tmorin2454@comcast.net
Cc: "Colin Jeschke" <Colin.Jeschke@Shaw.ca>, "Colin J" <Colin_J@MaltaisGeomatics.com>, "Marcus Leja" <marcusleja@shaw.ca>
Sent: Saturday, July 10, 2010 1:57:06 PM
Subject: Ferry Landing Interdiction & SMOKE/FFE Hindrance
Just relabelled the Subject so it corresponds to the message text...

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, July 10, 2010 11:55 AM
To: 'tmorin2454@comcast.net'
Cc: 'Colin.Jeschke@Shaw.ca'; 'Colin_J@MaltaisGeomatics.com'; 'Marcus Leja'
Subject: RE: 2Qs on VotG: B24.71/V4.71 & SSR VotG2?

Tom,

I’ve tried searching/perusing the Gamesquad site for an answer with no luck, so I’m going straight to you. We’re nearing the end of our First Bid playing, and I realised I might not have interpreted the CG12.1 INTERDICTION rules properly. According to my current reading, any SMOKE/HE FFE left at game end will still be on map and hence will block Interdiction because it is considered LOS Hindrance rather than LV Hindrance. This would be true even for a CG Scenario because Ferry Landing Interdiction (V12.602) occurs before FFE/SMOKE is removed from the map (V12.603).

However, we’ve been plugging along assuming SMOKE/FFE Hindrance would not affect Ferry Landing Interdiction...does it? It makes a considerable difference to VotG1 because Interdiction can be broken simply by a late game SMOKE placement, especially by the Off-Board Observer’s OBA battery. If this is the case, then it really puts the onus on the Germans to get to the bank rather than setting up a series of MG/MTR/ATR nests in the Level 2 of buildings.

If this was not the design intent and FFE/SMOKE is supposed to be ignored for Ferry Lansing Interdiction, it needs an erratum.

Brent