VotG to RO

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
There is a limit to what can be realistically portrayed at ASL level and still expect to retain a reasonable portrayal of what occurred historically. For something that size Streets of Stalingrad 3rd edition has it covered.

limitations- number of troops involved
command and control
massive artillery support, this is a huge feature in the Streets turn sequence.

the turn sequence in streets is less complex that ASL but to play the battle, even the areas portrayed on the maps shown would take weeks for a couple of players. The full campaign would easily take a team months to complete. To expect it to be portrayed at ASL level with a reasonable expectation that it could be balanced via play testing and then completed by players is a dream.

wrong scale for an action that size. IMHO.

Paul
Agreed, just looking at that map group is enough to melt your mind. RB or VotG for me but I can see the demand to play any action from that epic campaign on HASL maps, I would love to have MMP look at the Grain Elevator and the Tennis Racquet before I pass on. Epic ASL to come, some day. ⚡

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Yeah well, you'd need to find a LOS. Being on a rooftop will help, but even with the non-euclidean LOS across levels in ASL, a level 1 obstacle 100 hexes away creates 20 blind hexes. Good luck! :)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Yeah well, you'd need to find a LOS. Being on a rooftop will help, but even with the non-euclidean LOS across levels in ASL, a level 1 obstacle 100 hexes away creates 20 blind hexes. Good luck! :)
Truth told...

But on the bright side, the opponent will hava a helluva time finding the Spotter. And even if he does, he'll be invulnerable by anything but guns with similar ranges.

That is, if your Spotter is not taken out in the exact moment when you grabbed your pen with the intention of marking Spotted Fire at 150 hex range off your bucket-list...

von Marwitz

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has anyone worked on an additional Stalingrad Module? I was looking over Red Factories and the book from Jason D Mark Island of Fire to see where the current scenarios fit in. Does anyone think more could be made?

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Has anyone worked on an additional Stalingrad Module? I was looking over Red Factories and the book from Jason D Mark Island of Fire to see where the current scenarios fit in. Does anyone think more could be made?
20 years ago Tom Morin and myself might very well be knee deep in the Tennis Racket or the Grain Elevator but not so much anymore as we concentrate on Dispatches and actually playing published scenarios, something that took a back seat for some time but not anymore. I have played at least a dozen scenarios from the last 2 journals, more ASL FUN to come!

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Critical hit had done several others including mamayev Kurgan and there are also there’s in files on here , and two FB forums for other maps to link them all together

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Critical hit had done several others including mamayev Kurgan and there are also there’s in files on here , and two FB forums for other maps to link them all together
Good luck to anyone developing scenarios and campaigns for more of Stalingrad, we need official versions of the Tennis Racquet, Mamayev Kurgan and the area around the Grain Elevator at some point, all I know is it is a lot of hard work but quite the payoff when done.

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anyone know about 'the Mushrooms' - location of some serious fighting along the Volga, just north of the city?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is Glantz a good starting point?
If you have the patience to plow through him, I would say yes. His descriptions and reference materials are exhaustive (literally), but there's a wealth of information there. Be advised, he does have a bias though, even if less so, or at least presented in less overt tones, than many other historical presentations.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Towards Soviets or German?
I tend to feel that he takes a slightly pro-Soviet bent to accepting their reports of successes. One can tell by the words he uses when describing various actions, especially those in the Don bend and early actions on the outskirts and north of Stalingrad. It's certainly not as pronounced as many of the pro-German/early western accounts, nor as poor and pro-Soviet as Werth's accounts or certainly not Chuikov's or Zhukov's, but there none-the-less I feel. Then again, all history is written with some bias, some more overt than others.

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
TIK from YouTube just did a review on the books he uses for his Stalingrad series. He ranks all the books. No shocker Glantz and Jason D Mark are rated the highest.

Last edited: