VotG to RO

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mamayev Kurgan should be in there as well, that location was one of the most important position of the entire battle.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There is a limit to what can be realistically portrayed at ASL level and still expect to retain a reasonable portrayal of what occurred historically. For something that size Streets of Stalingrad 3rd edition has it covered.

limitations- number of troops involved
command and control
massive artillery support, this is a huge feature in the Streets turn sequence.

the turn sequence in streets is less complex that ASL but to play the battle, even the areas portrayed on the maps shown would take weeks for a couple of players. The full campaign would easily take a team months to complete. To expect it to be portrayed at ASL level with a reasonable expectation that it could be balanced via play testing and then completed by players is a dream.

wrong scale for an action that size. IMHO.

Paul

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Whatever happened to Perry? He was all over the forums a few years ago
Are you talking about Perry Pender? If so, he gave up playing and sold his ASL stuff for another wargame.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mamayev Kurgan should be in there as well, that location was one of the most important position of the entire battle.
You'll find the current rendition here:

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Are you talking about Perry Pender? If so, he gave up playing and sold his ASL stuff for another wargame.
Wow, I wasn’t aware of that. I know he was full of praise for some of the Grognard Death Ride WW2 games. They aren’t cheap. Kursk at platoon level, 3000 counters just for the Gross Deutschland sector! Too many counters for my liking. Give me an OCS game every time.

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Wow, I wasn’t aware of that. I know he was full of praise for some of the Grognard Death Ride WW2 games. They aren’t cheap. Kursk at platoon level, 3000 counters just for the Gross Deutschland sector! Too many counters for my liking. Give me an OCS game every time.
Perry is now into Death Ride series of games. He sold his ASL kit, Joe Arthur bought it via EBay.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Checked out the Death Ride series. Looks really interesting.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Were there any battles on the far left?

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Were there any battles on the far left?

23 Aug 1942
Despite Soviet bombing raids and Katyusha strikes overnight, at 0415 or 0430 hours 16th Panzer Division headed east (Beevor, 1999; Erickson, 1993). The first real resistance was at Gumrak with anti-aircraft (AA) guns firing at the Panzers from the north-west corner of Stalingrad. German tanks attacked the AA batteries, which were largely crewed by partially trained young women. In an unequal battle the young women fired their 37mm guns directly at the advancing Germans. Eventually the Panzers, with Stuka help, knocked out the batteries. At 1600 hours 16th Panzer Division, reached Rynok and the Volga north of Stalingrad. German tanks and artillery began to fire on river traffic, although they also had to continue to suppress newly discovered AA positions. The German division reported destroying 37 separate AA posts during the day. LI Corps followed the Panzers into the breach.

At 1800 hours the Luftwaffe commenced its bombing campaign of Stalingrad (Fowler, 2005). This was the heaviest raid the Luftwaffe had conducted since 22 Jun 1941, and included the all 1,200 available planes (Beevor, 1999; Clark, 1965). Over 40,000 people were killed in the first week of bombing. Most of the wooden buildings on the outskirts of Stalingrad burned during the night. Subsequent fighting in those areas took place in the charred remains of the bungalows and workers settlements, where there was little cover except for the forest of brick chimneys that remained.

The motorcycle battalion of 16th Panzer Division probed the northern suburbs and captured a train of weapons and supply vehicles (Beevor, 1999).

At 2310 hours 79th Panzer Grenadier Regiment was in Spartanovka, the northern most suburb of Stalingrad on the banks of the Volga.

Those workers not directly involved in weapons production were drafted into ‘Special Brigades’ (Beevor, 1999). Most, but not all, were issued weapons and ammunition, before being sent to the front. Some of these untrained and badly equipped battalions were mauled when sent against the 16th Panzer Division in the northern suburb of Spartakovka.

Meanwhile tank manufacture continued, and unpainted T-34s rolled off the production line directly into battle (Beevor, 1999)

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
By how much did Perry shorten the GE maps?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm thinking of re-doing the section Perry did (making it longer), and then pushing further south.

But first... I gotta finish Rynok & Spartanovka.
Certainly needs to revisit the Grain Elevator (at least as to its dominance of other terrain in the area-perhaps a level 3 building on one side).https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiMiaKLmY_zAhUaHc0KHdvJBCYQwqsBegQIAxAB&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3pMF_8ik6A&usg=AOvVaw07Vk2-e9D_aF61rqUaO79d

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
By how much did Perry shorten the GE maps?
In the positioning of the Grain Elevator itself, there's only about a 4" difference - mine will be south (and a bit east) of his placement. This can mostly be attributed to differences in source material, and assumptions made about scaling - all "in the eye of the beholder", rather than 'exact science'.

My biggest difference will be the Yelshanka River and the big curve of the rail line from the docks. With the material I'm working with, the rail line will exit the west side of the map at the equivalent of the extreme bottom left corner of Perry's map - about 12 hexes lower than Perry has the exit. All the topography south of that rail line will obviously be pushed farther down. However, I do have the mouth of the Yelshanka at the same spot as Perry.

Differences in interpretation.