VotG to RO

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It looks great but has anyone attempted making scenarios or CGs?

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With enough work on mapping the rest of Stalingrad you could eventually marry Avalon Hill's "Stalingrad" game with this and fight the whole battle.

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How much of the city has been mapped? I know Mark had something showing the places mapped out.

Last edited:

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Before making scenarios or CGs for this, anyone first needs attempting to build a barn to house the map...

von Marwitz
Or figure out how many monitors would be needed to display it all in VASL.

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I really don't get the fixation with this. So many other battles don't have a historical map at all - and god forbid another Stalingrad CG....surely this must be the most overrepresented battle in all of ASL.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I really don't get the fixation with this. So many other battles don't have a historical map at all - and god forbid another Stalingrad CG....surely this must be the most overrepresented battle in all of ASL.
And those additional maps won't even see any playing.
It is just a sort of painting contest, seemingly.
Uninteresting for people who focus on playing ASL.

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This goes back to my question of how much research has gone into the maps to support creating the scenarios. In fact how much fighting was done in the area of these maps? I enjoy seeing the creation of the maps. Didn’t the original Squad Leader booklet say the city fighting would be 10 maps?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Or figure out how many monitors would be needed to display it all in VASL.
I have got a simple solution for that:

Rent a football-stadium throw out both of the annoying teams, the 10,000s of spectators, mascots, and everything. Then you could use the roughly 100 yards of screens at the edge of the playing field on which they usually run the commercials.

Thinking about it, when you evict the whole damn zoo, you might as well keep the cheerleaders...

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
This goes back to my question of how much research has gone into the maps to support creating the scenarios. In fact how much fighting was done in the area of these maps? I enjoy seeing the creation of the maps. Didn’t the original Squad Leader booklet say the city fighting would be 10 maps?
I remember that a chap from the UK and former soldier who was pretty active here in the forum a couple of years ago but who since then seems to have disappeared (at least here) was putting quite some work in such maps. He also did others and they were of good quality. Dunno if this is that same Alan Findlay.

As for the fighting: I reckon enough was going on in those areas to warrant ASL coverage in general along the length of these maps. It's been some time since I last read about Stalingrad, but any general book on the matter with a map in it would tell.

von Marwitz

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I remember that a chap from the UK and former soldier who was pretty active here in the forum a couple of years ago but who since then seems to have disappeared (at least here) was putting quite some work in such maps. He also did others and they were of good quality. Dunno if this is that same Alan Findlay.

As for the fighting: I reckon enough was going on in those areas to warrant ASL coverage in general along the length of these maps. It's been some time since I last read about Stalingrad, but any general book on the matter with a map in it would tell.

von Marwitz
That would be Perry. He worked on the maps south of VotG to the Grain Elevator. I made some Burnt Out Factories for him to use. I don't remember if he worked on the RB-to-DTW maps, or if that was someone else. Putting all these maps together would be awesome to behold, even if unmanageable to play.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
That would be Perry. He worked on the maps south of VotG to the Grain Elevator. I made some Burnt Out Factories for him to use. I don't remember if he worked on the RB-to-DTW maps, or if that was someone else. Putting all these maps together would be awesome to behold, even if unmanageable to play.
Perry did a RB to DTW map but it was too small and inaccurate. I did my own version which was based on aerial photos.