VotG Sewer Map

carlsson

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I have done a Sewer Map for the Valor of the Guards map.
I'd be happy if you guys could confirm if it's correct or not.

When finished it'll be available for anybody to use that already have the real map. Copyright for the map itself is of course entitled to MMP.

Thanks,
Andreas

Attachments

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
It's not correct:

X11->A11
X11 should not connect to X15
AA14 needs white dot
M15->O17
N36 needs white dot
EE33 should not connect to EE39
Per a posted question I think, F35 is not a manhole.

This was a quick scan. I am certain that there is more work to be done. You shouldn't let that discourage you. Getting this sort of task right is not that easy. I myself would be tempted to create a program to calculate the connections then add them to a .svg file. That would be a lot of research and thinking, however.

JR

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
T10-Q11 needs a red line. There are more but I can't read the letters or numbers.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
errata to above

X11->AA11
T10->Q12

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
If you are handy with scripting it shouldn't be too hard to create a program to generate the pairs. The input data is a list of manholes. You then need to figure out what hexes are within three of a given hex and see which of those hexes has a manhole. Start with A1 and check all hexes below and all hexes to the right, then repeat on A2, ..., B1, ... ZZZ999. The calculation for distance depends on whether the row is an even row (it has a zero hex) or an odd row, but should be pretty straight-forward. That should give a list of all pairs that should be joined. You could use that to check for missing ones on your picture.

The more advanced version would generate an .svg for overlaying the map. Probably the simplest way to figure this out would be to do a few cases by hand then create a template using the resulting XML.

carlsson

Reaction score
Country
llSweden

Attachments

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I can't read the hex numbers on the picture so I'm not sure if these have been spotte, but there are some missing lines between the big white dots - some in the area south of the map center, where there are missing links that should cross others (and are probably harder to spot)

carlsson

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I can't read the hex numbers on the picture so I'm not sure if these have been spotte, but there are some missing lines between the big white dots - some in the area south of the map center, where there are missing links that should cross others (and are probably harder to spot)
If you press the icon on the upper right, a bigger version should be visible with a magnifying glass.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that area.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
P34 missing dot and one connection. J19 missing dot and connections.

I don't know if you intend to show direct access through an intermediate manhole, for instance T29 is adjacent to U30 and there is a link, but one can also move from T29 to Y30 without stopping in U30. You might show that link as an arc-ed line, perhaps of a different color. Similarly J26-J29 and many others.

T29 connects to Y31. C35 connects to F36.

There should be no connection JJ31-JJ35.

You might want to rest your eyes for a few days then look it over again yourself. You'll find a lot more.

JR

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
There's a number of hexes where I'm not sure why they are not marked as Sewer entrances, but maybe I'm missing some rule.

J19 seems to have the 3 road hexsides, and so does U22 (but it's a City Square, so I suppose City Squares don't become Sewer Entrances by having 3 road hexsides?)

Examples of missing links include T29-V31, Q30-R32, P31-P34.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Missing J6-M6
S3-V2
Q45-T45
F36-I37
V1-Y3
M1-N3
C35-F36

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
J19 seems to have the 3 road hexsides, and so does U22 (but it's a City Square, so I suppose City Squares don't become Sewer Entrances by having 3 road hexsides?)
City Squares/boulevards are not roads by the rules even when they have one or more roads entering the hex. Their entrance cost is that of roads, but otherwise they are their own terrain type. Any sewer entrances have to be explicitly indicated. That leaves a lot of places that seem like they ought to be sewer entrances as not being so, e.g. S36.

Similar reasoning applies to railroad hexes. They use the rules for paved roads, but they are not paved roads so you don't get a manhole unless explicitly indicated (or there is another reason, e.g. a real road crossing).

JR

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Yeah, that was my reasoning when I looked at the VotG rules. How about a hexside between a City Square hex and a road hex - does it count as a road hexside for the purpose of deciding whether the road is an entrance?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Yeah, that was my reasoning when I looked at the VotG rules. How about a hexside between a City Square hex and a road hex - does it count as a road hexside for the purpose of deciding whether the road is an entrance?
I would be inclined to say, "no." That puts hexes like Y44 under doubt.

JR

carlsson

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I don't know if you intend to show direct access through an intermediate manhole, for instance T29 is adjacent to U30 and there is a link, but one can also move from T29 to Y30 without stopping in U30. You might show that link as an arc-ed line, perhaps of a different color. Similarly J26-J29 and many others.
It's already very cluttered and I think more kind of lines will mess it up. One has to do some thinking for oneself, right? :)

I have attached a new map, and regret that I didn't do it in Illustrator – The red lines are to wide...

One funny thing – There's a manhole location in II12 with no connections! I can imagine this was supposed to connect to the railroad in GG12, before rail roads where ruled out as Manhole Locations. @Tom Morin ; Any input on this?

Ok guys, please let me know if you find anything more! :thumbsup:

Attachments

Last edited:

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One funny thing – There's a manhole location in II12 with not connection! I can imagine this was supposed to connect to the railroad in GG12, before rail roads where ruled out as Manhole Locations. @Tom Morin ; Any input on this?

they might have meant to put one in FF`3, just taking a guess

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but seeing as there is already a VotG Sewer Map posted on the Texas ASL site, what is the aim of creating another? Is the posted one incorrect or are you going for a different look to how it is presented? Just curious.

http://www.texas-asl.com/download/VotG_Sewer_Map.zip