VOTG Scenario Suggestions

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
Okay so I'm preparing to get back into some major ASL shortly both FtF and via VASL. VOTG is due to arrive anyday (it got shipped to my old address in NZ first) and I'm thinking that I may as well play the scenarios and maybe a CG at some point.

Now from what I understand from reading around the traps, getting into VOTG would be best served other than by trying the scenarios in strict numerical order?

If this is the case, what would be the recommended order of play for scenarios to try out that will let me grok the VOTG SSRs and map as easily as possible? (NB: Night Rules are not a fear for me, I'm way more comfortable with them than I am with PTO rules)

Tork

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll pass along some suggestions for some good VotG fun.

Start with VotG13, 'Escape from Komsomol Park' to learn about the NKVD troops and commissars. Fairly light TEM, a scenario that moves fast.

Throw in VotG9, 'Eviction Notice' for fun in the gutted buildings as well as the joys of running tanks through debris.

Now you are ready for some bigger stuff, either 'Storming the Station' or 'Siberian Shockwave' where the Germans have StuGs and Stukas.

Play one of the Night scenarios as the gutted buildings do some interesting things to movement and advance. 'Enter Dragan' is a fun one I've heard.

If you can, play one of the larger ones. VotG17, 'On the Verge of Extinction', has gotten very little chatter despite the coolness of covering the Russian capture of Paulus' HQ in January 43.

Have fun! Write up some AARs so we can find out how things went!

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
Thanks very much for those suggestions. I'm busy going through as many of the VOTG threads anyway picking up impressions and clarifications. I had a good feeling about ordering VotG just from seeing the 17 odd scenarios scheduled and after really enjoying scenarios set on RB.

I think I'll definitely look at finishing up my initial play with something like VotG17 as that will allow me to really take stock of where i am with the system again.

Pete

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll pass along some suggestions for some good VotG fun.

Start with VotG13, 'Escape from Komsomol Park' to learn about the NKVD troops and commissars. Fairly light TEM, a scenario that moves fast.

Throw in VotG9, 'Eviction Notice' for fun in the gutted buildings as well as the joys of running tanks through debris.

Now you are ready for some bigger stuff, either 'Storming the Station' or 'Siberian Shockwave' where the Germans have StuGs and Stukas.

Play one of the Night scenarios as the gutted buildings do some interesting things to movement and advance. 'Enter Dragan' is a fun one I've heard.

If you can, play one of the larger ones. VotG17, 'On the Verge of Extinction', has gotten very little chatter despite the coolness of covering the Russian capture of Paulus' HQ in January 43.

Have fun! Write up some AARs so we can find out how things went!
I agree with the above for fun and good play. Remember, VotG has many rules particular to VotG. You may want to beef up on some standard scenarios first.

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
I agree with the above for fun and good play. Remember, VotG has many rules particular to VotG. You may want to beef up on some standard scenarios first.
Funny thing is I'm actually rather confident of being able to drop right back into ASL after a 9 month layoff...the last gap between playings was longer in terms of time and I found I was back up to speed in no time at all - the issue with my play is that I really need concentrated exposure to SSRs for them to fully gel, so playing lots of smaller scenarios using VoTG SSRs will help a lot.

I've also found that while there are significant differences between RB and VOTG, the fact that my most recent playing experience has been on RB will help me adfjust to VOTG far more than playing the usual ASL fare. I actually find HASL mapsheet games take a different mindset to play for me, something I can't truly explain but I find the HASL setting far more intuitive.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd offer a vote for VOTG9 "Eviction Notice" in terms of fun, balance, intensity, quick-to-play.