VOTG - SASL CGIV (AAR)

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That light at the end of the tunnel is the Volga. :)

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
20 Sept - Turn 5
No RE for the RU. RU errant Artillery Strike continues to hammer the water.

KG1
A lone and fanatical 458 is proving troublesome in the GE effort to clear the riverbank. Despite enduring tremendous fire, some of which turned it fanatical (else it would have failed the PAATC), it entered CC with the StuG B in FF9 and kills it easily. Additionally, in its preceding AFPh, it was able to cause many GE units to break in GG8 (that's right, a 2FP attack caused a 1MC and broke almost everything). I had made a foolish move in moving the StuG B to FF9 (probably FF8 was a better option) to bring fire onto DD9, where the 458 had been activated. If I had moved it to FF8, it would have provided a +1 DRM to the 2FP attack, and an NMC might have proved better than the 1MC dealt to the GE in GG8. Not too mention the RU squad would have had to enter open ground to approach the tanks and possibly easier to kill.
Meanwhile, the detached pioneer platoon continues to cover the NE flank of KG2, but they may have to turn more eastward to help secure the riverbank.

KG2
The Brewery is almost attainable, with a lone Good Order 228 (and several broken RU MMC) in a fortified CC16 holding firm. The concentrated firepower of Y15, will hopefully break the unit and then the adjacent Stosstruppe members can begin to push into the building. The State Bank building, is also occupied by broken RU units and a concerted push across the intervening Krasnozavoyskaya will see it fall to the Germans...provided they don't PANIC on Turn 6.

KG3
The progress continues to be glacial in this sector, though some forward movement has finally been achieved, after 5 turns of effort. First, a GE MG stack (T47) manages to turn a fortified 458 (V27) berserk, which subsequently moves out into U27 on its subsequent MPh. Here iit is slain with a 2 KIA result, while other ROR kills the 1st floor 426 in the same location. This blockhouse can now be occupied on the next turn. Meanwhile, a fresh 247 scout from the reinforcing Rifle Coy 12, CX's and is able to enter the vacated V29 which had been a thorn in the GE side for some time, and doubtless would have entered CC with the adjacent RU 127 had it not been CX'd. Unfortunately, three other scout units in this sector did not fare so well, all being KIA's by accurate DFF. In the South of the sector, GE forces, after breaking the opposing RU MMC and forcing them away to cover, are able to push across Khalturina and have occupied another strongpoint (W31). This action activated a S? which produced a roadblock, 628 and 37L AA gun in X30, but the fortified building managed to protect most of the advancing GE and they were able to break the adjacent squad and gun crew, saving themselves.

KG4
Russian defense has complete collapsed in this sector, and spearheaded by the pioneer platoons and the reinforcements of Rifle Coy 11, a wall of GE MMC occupies the long block of buildings East of the Square of Fallen Heroes. A PANIC free turn will see the GE occupy these five small blocks up to Sovietskaya, in preparation for further action.

Tallies
CVP
: GE 183 RU 38
VP: GE 27 RU 0
S? Activation: 14 Dummy 4 (1 Reserve) Successful 10 (2 Reserve)

End Scenario die roll is a 2 so we go on.

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Turn about is fair play I guess. A GE 228 jumps on the KV1, gains ambush and then gets a kill.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
20 Sept - Turn 6 - Scenario End

No RU RE (again...they did not have one the whole game). Also the two Artillery Strikes proved ineffective, except for the initial barrage of the 100mm+ OBA.

KG1
GE continues to consolidate their positions without pushing to far forward. Nothing to report here.

KG2
The brewery is secured, and the last RU (628 in CC21) in the State Bank is broken and routs out of the building, leaving it in German hands.

KG3
Similar to the what happened during the whole scenario, nothing new transpires here, except for more broken RU units. Worryingly, a 458/248 advance into CC with a 467 in X32, gain ambush and CR it to a HS. The (now) GE248 proves ineffective in repelling them. This will affect the Perimeter location no doubt, which might prove more troublesome than losing the squad.

KG4
GE troops have secured the entire block of buildings west of Soveitskaya, with the highlight being a lone 228 crew jumping onto a just-revealed KV1 and ambushing it and killing it in CC. Subsequently, a RU leader and squad in AA39 are encircled and eventually all eliminated with fire attacks.

Tallies
CVP
: GE 217 RU 40
VP: GE RU 0
S? Activations: 13 Dummy 9 (6 Reserve) Successful 4 (3 Reserve)

...and what was generated.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
SITREP #7
20 Sept - Russian Nighttime Counter-Attack

GE OoB Purchases (9CPP)
1 x Rifle Coy - Full, 9-1,8-1,8-0 leader; setup in Reserve
1 x Stosstruppe - Full, 8-1 leader; setup in Reserve

Misc:
RU SAN stays at 5
RU ELR stays at 4
RU Boobytrap stays at A
RU Recons' 9 GE locations (as chosen by me based on proximity/stack size, etc, i.e. no dr's)
EN AC is 3
EN RE is 4/5/6
GE ELR drops to 3 (nighttime only)
EC remain Clear, Moderate, No Breeze at start
Night - NVR 2, Overcast w/ half-moon

GE Battle Plan & OoB
Wide dispersal of troops and leaders (many stacks of 2 MMC) to prevent EN infiltration, with the only AFV platoon supporting the low-ground effort along the Volga. Note that two pier locations remain interdicted, denying them to RU set-up/entry. The two scenario purchases (1 x Rifle Coy, 1 x Stosstruppe) will be set up IVO NKVD House/Warehouse as Reserve, should EN attempt a flanking assault from the North map-edge; they should also have wide-enough coverage to avoid infiltration behind them

S? Setup:
Hold Attitude: 16
Advance Attitude: 51

Postscript:
  • Not a lot of S?* to be faced, though right off the bat, 8 S? will enter along the North-edge (on/east of U1).
  • If the GE can activate/break the RU before they can really get started, it should be an easy scenario. (This happened on an initial play-through - I stopped mid-way the RU Mph of Turn 1 - where in most RU units were activated/broken through defensive fire). However, assuming I've been doing Night Rules somewhat incorrectly (hence my question in the Rules & Errata re Starshells) I am restarting the scenario.
  • Question for the Class Would the Advance S? only roll for activation when they advance into a hex with GE units, or should I roll for them normally (as when the achieve the normal activation minimums (i.e. adjacent, etc) before they go?
E.g. U1 S? (image below); I assault moved into U1 from offboard because of the GE presence. In the APh, I would advance into T1. Assuming GE DFPh doesn't 'activate' the S?, when should I roll for the 'contents'?

* Am thinking of doing a second round of S? placement, to see if I generate more counters.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I “Like” that you post these AARs, not that your troops are suffering calamity 😀

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
20 Sept - Night - Turn 1

RU move first. Some initial RU PFPh from two locations with 1st level, activated MMC, plus the crew-manned 37L AA from the previous scenario in 1V23, generally ineffective, but they do break one wounded 9-2 leader (might have been wounded by a Sniper, can't remember).

RU gets 8 S? advancing from off-board along the North map edge, between U1 and the Volga...
...and after the GE turn...
During the RU MPh, good GE DFF does an excellent job of breaking the advancing RU forces. Most RU units are broken, but repeated FPF proves less effective as the die rolls averaged out, and a couple of GE units are broken as a result. Also, 5 AFV are generated, but the plucky GE manage to blow up three of them in Street-fighting CC, since they had activated adjacent to the GE, including two stacks of 838's and one of 468's. One KV1 remains bogged down in the building at X32, while another T34 lies in the street opposite some more 468; they were PINNED before they could enter CC with the tank. There was also a lot of starshell usage by the GE to get things going, which definitely helped bring down a lot of fire on the RU units as they advanced.

Unfortunately, 2 x 548's were caught in a H-to-H with 2x 458 and a 10-2 leader, but at least they killed each other to a man. Another combat proved more ineffective, eliminating 2x468 via ambush by a single 458, and then the other GE stupidly advanced into Melee with the same 458 in the GE turn, but even though concealed were ambushed and one squad CR'd before they could respond. The subsequent attack back proved ineffective and they are now locked in Melee, with two RU squads adjacent that will likely reinforce the combat. Below, the wall of broken RU units facing the GE.
Along the riverfront, the attacking RU forces have been eliminated, with a single 9-0 left holding the fort, which was easily overwhelmed in CC by the advancing GE. This gives them a clear run down the riverbank, but I will probably only push them as far as Malek's Wharf, if that far.

Tallies
CVP
: GE 79 RU 9
VP: GE 2 RU 0
S? Activations: 69 Dummy 16 (14 Advance) Successful 53 (45 Advance)

There were a lot of successful activations for a 3 AC, but luckily for the GE only 8 un-activated S? counter in Hold Attitude remain in depth positions. The RU remain deadly in CC, but if they can be safely eliminated before it reaches that, this scenario will doubtless be another GE victory.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There is that RU Sniper again...
The two 5's were the 9-2, and the first (HMG) MMC, the two failed LLMC's were the MMG MMC and a 247 scout. Sure seems like a random chance :)

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
So a broken RU 247 gains ambush on a CX 467 and kills it in H-to-H

EDIT
A11.16 says the Broken unit doesn't get an attack...phew.

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
20 Sept - Night - Turn 2

No RE for the RU. No Reinforcements arrive this turn either.

CVP/VP tallies stand at GE:124/14, RU: 18/1.

RU only has 2 S? (Hold Attitude), 6 Good Order MMC on the board, and ~20 broken MMC. Besides Good Order holdouts in (fortified building V23, and single MMC in BB34, BB40, BB41, the rest of the board belongs to the GE.

So not sure what to do. I'm thinking of calling this campaign game, as nothing is stopping the GE (barring Straying, but with all the roads, not much chance of that) from forming a long line, moving South, and controlling everything they come across.

What are your guys' thoughts?

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am glad that you played this CG but this was over a little bit ago though.

The defender (almost) always needs help in SASL. In this real life campaign, by the time the Germans reached the Volga they were totally bled white. The German's here are a juggernaut.

Once the Russians were really starting to get clobbered, and were not getting any recompense in either setup rolls or RE rolls, there should have been some +/ - drm's to 'help' the Russians (IE: successful SAN also creates an automatic Artillery strike, automatic amount of advance attitude chits, shift a stack from a strong sector to a weak sector, ect -something!.).

I am not pooh, poohing what you have done. It was a great thread to follow! I will be here (VotG) in a few months. I am starting the 194th Inf Regt SASL CG soon.

Thank you for doing this.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks.

I wonder how much a 14 Sept Night counter-attack would have changed things. Plus I should probably have ignored the dice and initiated another couple of counter attacks. RU daytime assault is almost suicidal, especially given the low number of S? typically faced (two rows doesn't seem enough, but 3 could be a juggernaut).

Was thinking of trying this again from the RU perspective. Or playing RB CG III instead (I've got Red Factories coming in the mail soon).

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Definitely enjoyed following along. Thank you much for the opportunity. Lost count of the number of cups of tea I enjoyed while sitting in my comfy chair reading about the trials and tribulations of your cardboard warriors. I know it took lot’s of time so again, thank you!

From my perspective your solitaire opponent didn’t seem to give you too much trouble. It had its moments but overall it didn’t seem to put up much of a fight. I wonder if a simple 1 modifier to make activations more likely throughout the campaign would change that. I’d be interested to hear your opinion.

Glad you enjoyed it. I admire your dedication to see it through a foreseeable end so quickly. And I’ll bet you benefited from all the increased rules exposure too. I must do this someday.

There’s LOS enabled RB and RO VASL boards in the wings, standing by for your next go.

I’m hoping you’ll do more 😀

Al

DQuin

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am glad that you played this CG but this was over a little bit ago though.

The defender (almost) always needs help in SASL. In this real life campaign, by the time the Germans reached the Volga they were totally bled white. The German's here are a juggernaut.

Once the Russians were really starting to get clobbered, and were not getting any recompense in either setup rolls or RE rolls, there should have been some +/ - drm's to 'help' the Russians (IE: successful SAN also creates an automatic Artillery strike, automatic amount of advance attitude chits, shift a stack from a strong sector to a weak sector, ect -something!.).

I am not pooh, poohing what you have done. It was a great thread to follow! I will be here (VotG) in a few months. I am starting the 194th Inf Regt SASL CG soon.

Thank you for doing this.
is there any SASL house rules you’d use to help boost the RU defenders to make this more akin to the historical situation?

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
General ramblings, from a GE perspective:
  • I didn't use the Action DR too much, besides checking for PANIC. I sometimes moved RU units when I thought it might prove beneficial, or just had them fire; and in a couple of cases formed multi-location FG's. I did heed the Improved Position rule (as in they won't leave it). Also, there were a lot of fortified locations (something like 74 or so) which is a lot, probably more than would appear in a regular face-to-face game.
  • I was surprised (but probably should not have been) at the number of Elite 458's that were generated (well over half of the total RU forces), and 2-MMC groups that appeared. Superior GE firepower dealt with that, but had they all attacked at the same time (maybe throw in a human wave sometimes?) against the stacked GE it could have been spicey (as the kids say these days).
  • RU SAN is a great equalizer, especially when your me 🤣. Also the stealth advantage for the RU worked well in CC (sometimes), so there is that.
  • Part of the problem is that SASL kind of forces you to stack to benefit from the Leadership, which produces ~20+FP FG's. This plus the fact that Hold Attitude equals no move, means you can leave gaps in your defense (until you move an AFV past a S?, later on activate it and it turns out to be a 45LL AT gun at 6-hex range). Maybe bring in a random chance to execute RE 34-35/44-45 as part of the RPh, similar to the way you roll for an EN Artillery Strike at the start of each EN PFPh/DFPh. This increases the chance of having Hold Attitudes change to Advance and reclaim ground in small pockets.
  • Given the high CVP the GE will generate, maybe increase the chance of a night-time counter-attack, from less/equal 1 to a 2. This pretty well means that only a 6 (maybe a 5) will deter a counter-attack (barring overcast of course)
  • Sdkfz 10/5's suck, so did the 75's against the fortified buildings, hence the need for the Brummbarr, etc.
  • Probably should of used air support more.
  • EN Artillery Strike option, could maybe less random. Aside from the initial 1-3 on target, the randomness of the FFE (later on in the campaign when things get more spread out, it becomes even less effective. Maybe if no FR forces are under the FFE, reposition it, roll another accuracy dr, and then go from there. Or maybe halve the distance of the Correction DR.
  • I don't know if my results were atypical or not, but if you tinker too much, the potential unlimited RU resources can quickly turn against you.
  • Only having two rows of S? when on the attack, with nothing in depth, leaves a lot of room to exploit, once the initial Hurrah is dealt with. Maybe there should be grey S?'s setup in Reserve whether on the attack or not. This will keep the exploitations behind the frontlines down, and prevent free-running through the EN rear.
It would be interesting to read the playtest notes that were generated to see if this has come up before. As it stands, it definitely feeds my power gaming side :devilish: .
Makes me want to run another CG IV campaign as the GE trying out the above.

Last edited:

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
is there any SASL house rules you’d use to help boost the RU defenders to make this more akin to the historical situation?
Ahriman6676 posts some pretty good adjustments to attempt. The problem only comes up if one side is really doing bad.

-RPh local counterattacks is good but I would also add 46-51 (reinforcements). None of these are guaranteed.
-the drift for Artillery Strike should definitely be halved
-better chance of a night time attack
-the Reserves behind the Attack chit draw is also a good idea. Every ENEMY setup would always be the =/ < 5 hexes from a Frontline position but only the front 2 Ground Level rows could have an advance attitude (however the dr comes out).

This same result could be if it were the Russians as FRIENDLY. In SASL you have to help the ENEMY. If the DR's are going bad, then you just have to make events happen to balance what is happening.