VOTG - SASL CGIV (AAR)

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
SITREP #6
19 Sept - Idle Day

GE choose Idle chit, and RU Initiative dr is a 6 (again...modified 2) so no RU assault either.

GE OoB Purchases (18 CPP)
1 x StuG G Pl - Full
2 x Pioneer Pl - Full, 8-0, 8-1 leaders
1 x Stosstruppe - Depl, 8-1 leader, no DC
1 x Stosstruppe - Full, 9-1 leader
1 x Sniper (raises SAN to 6)
*No Infantry RG left to purchase (until the 20th) except for a single blue-code Stosstruppe

Misc:
RU SAN increased to 5
RU ELR stays at 4
RU Boobytrap stays at A
GE ELR stays at 4
EC (for 19 Sept) Clear, Moderate, Mild Breeze from SW

20 Sept - German Assault
GE choose Attack chit; RU Initiative dr is a 5 (modified 2) so they are Idle.

GE OoB Purchases (23 CPP, incl 6 Support CPP)
2 x Rifle Coy - purple code - both full w/ 9-1. 8-0 and 9-2, 9-1, 8-0 leaders respectively
150+ mm OBA
150+ mm Rocket OBA, pre-reg (Y10)

GE Battle Plan to follow as an edit

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
20 Sept - German Assault Battle Plan
The OoB will be broken down into 4 Kampfgruppe with 5 objectives between them.
KG1
Kampfgruppe 1 will clear S? and secure locations along the riverbank, using armoured assaults. Overwatch and MG support will be provided by ground level troops in Rodney's House (Y4). The NKVD House will be secured quickly, with assault pioneers leading the assault. A preliminary Nebelwerfer fire mission will precede the attack. Troops are to stay in their positions until the battery ceases to fire.

KG2
Kampfgruppe 2 will focus on the continued clearing of Block 2, pushing towards Krasnozoyskaya. Though lightly manned, the Kampfgruppe must push forward and secure the lines of advance for subsequent pushes. By the end of the day's action, KG3 should have linked up with KG2.

KG3
The lightest of the 4, KG3 will continue the clearing of Block 4, and then push North into Block 3 along Respublikskaya, clearing the route of all Russian resistance. If it proves tenable, a push further East can be made to support subsequent operations in the sector.

KG4
The stiffest battle will continue to be clearing Block 7 of enemy. Given the vast number of fortified building locations (and the 24? facing them; I also put two crews on the 76* INF guns), the attack will be spear headed by 3 platoons of pioneers, and supported by a firebase setup across the Square of Fallen Heroes. A battery of 150mm guns will be on call, and Plentiful ammo has been stockpiled to further the artillery support.

Scenario Parameters
EC are Moderate, Clear, with No Wind at start.

FR Parameters
GE ELR
4 SAN 5

EN Parameters
AC
: 3 RE: 3/4/5 ELR: 4 SAN: 5 Boobytrap: A
S?: Total 231 Hold 153 Reserve 78
S? Activations: Total 23 Dummy 12 Successful 11

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
What's left of a Stosstruppe (3 x 548) after the RU HMG gets done with them. This is them routing away to cover and the 8-0, they were in debris (W16), but the RU was in 1Y18.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
...and the RU Self-Rally attempts for 3 x 458's (I go down the map from North to South doing rallies/SW repair as the come, so some of the self-rallies are out of sequence)...

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
6FP leads to a CTC, which CR's two 467 (boobytrap), and ROF sees the HS die and everything else break...still have the MMG to fire. Awesome first turn.

EDIT
I swear, this just happened again, 6FP leads to a PTC, and two squads are CR due to boobytraps, and again they are manning MG's.

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Did I mention the accurate RU DFPh from Turn 1...so much for the pioneers leading the attack...never had a chance to leave their stone locations before being broken and reduced and forced to rout out of the line of fire.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well that didn't go according to the plan...I made a lot of mistakes, especially in the setup, so I'm going to replay this turn. I've been ruminating the past two days on whether or not to, but decided I will. I knew I should not have played that day, I had a feeling. Would have been GE 38 RU 30, with the GE mostly in a bad position because I setup incorrectly (i.e. did not account for orchards and LOS for a firebase for one thing) and didn't do enough proper scouting to clear the concealment counters.

One thing I'm going to do from now on, is roll the dice beforehand; at least a 100 DR and dr ea before I start play, same with the OBA deck to get the 'normalized results' set before I actually play. I mean, if my first 9/4 OBA card is a red right out of the gate, or my first cmd die roll is a 12 I'm off to a bad start.

Attachments

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well that didn't go according to the plan...I made a lot of mistakes, especially in the setup, so I'm going to replay this turn. I've been ruminating the past two days on whether or not to, but decided I will. I knew I should not have played that day, I had a feeling. Would have been GE 38 RU 30, with the GE mostly in a bad position because I setup incorrectly (i.e. did not account for orchards and LOS for a firebase for one thing) and didn't do enough proper scouting to clear the concealment counters.

One thing I'm going to do from now on, is roll the dice beforehand; at least a 100 DR and dr ea before I start play, same with the OBA deck to get the 'normalized results' set before I actually play. I mean, if my first 9/4 OBA card is a red right out of the gate, or my first cmd die roll is a 12 I'm off to a bad start.
Feces occur. Especially in combat.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SASL SSR: In the interest of maintaining a PPTC (positive personal task check) roll 1d6 or 2d6 before every resolution until a natural 6 or 6,6 is rolled. Then roll again. Use that roll to determine the resolution.

I wonder if that would affect the end of game results 😀

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Going to make a nasty RtPh with that FFE intervening between the GE units and cover.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
20 Sept - Turn 1
No RU RE this turn.

KG1
Good progress is being made IVO the NKVD House, due in large part to the effective, pre-registered, Nebelwerfer Rocker OBA that landed on target in Y10. It cleared/activated all S? in its radius, and broke most units inside it. The remainder of the unbroken units (in Y8) were further reduced by adjacent fire from the two pioneer platoons. Unluckily for the Germans, in the ensuing GE PFPh, a RU Sniper activated and RS picked out the 8-0 FOO manning the field phone. At least he had been able to bring down the OBA before he died.
In the low ground slow progress is being made, with all activated RU units broken, however their DFPh was able to break some GE units beforehand. During the RU PFPh they get an Artillery Strike (120mm + OBA) that landed in Y2, and caused further breakage and a CR on a 467 in Z1. The FFE prevented any routing to the safety of cover, so the Z1 units Low Crawled out of the FFE to Z0 for now.

KG2
This Kampfgruppe has been able to occupy a series of VPO locations directly in front of them, and through some lucky GE Sniper attacks and good GE fire were able to eliminate several RU units (including an outmatched 247v458 (PINNED/PANIC) melee that would doubtless have killed the HS in the RU CCPh).
16949 16950
With their immediate Lines of Advance cleared, KG 2 can now begin to focus their efforts onto Block2, though the supporting armour has a tendency to PANIC at inopportune times.

KG3
Kampfgruppe 3 has run into a problem, as their fire has proven ineffective, where as the RU DFPh/PFPh has proven increasingly accurate, breaking an important MG stack in 1U31 and W34. Also PANIC has hit especially hard here which has kept some elements of the KG in their positions and unable to contribute their fire power. Again, two (out of three) supporting StuG G's have PANICed in the RU turn, further crippling the GE firepower capability. Furthermore, a RU 458/628 have moved adjacent to the StuG G in V31, so it must react and try to extricate itself before it gets blown up in CC.

KG4
The 150mm + OBA has eventually landed close to where the FOO wants it (it lands in U43; target hex should be V43), and the FFE hammers the RU troops in U44, and immobilizes the T34 that appeared in U43. A subsequent AP shot from the 75L AT gun (1P39) gets the kill on the tank before it can do any real damage to the GE. It's choice of target had actually been a pioneer platoon, but a Mol-P attack created SMOKE in the location so it switched fire to other targets, which proved ineffective before it was killed. Good use of the two FT's from the GE were able to break the two crews of the 76* INF guns, and subsequent GE fire did an adequate job of breaking other units. Now an 838 (T46) will be able to gain entrance into the fortified building locations, and only two Good Order RU MMC can really bring effective fire towards most of the troops. A lone 247 scout had been able to move stealthily into U49, but it received a lot of DF/PFPh attacks and eventually broke under the strain and retreated across the street to safety. If the GE can not PANIC and bring some ROF to the buildings across the street, the pioneers might be able to exploit the breaks and bring the fight to the enemy.

Reinforcements
On the FBE, the onrushing GE troops have been able to break the 458/MMG that had infiltrated the previous scenario and CONTROLled four of the VPO locations in the GE rear. With them dealt with, they can now rush forward to join the battlelines.

Tallies
CVP
: GE 55 RU 9
VP: GE 6 RU 0
S? Activations: 59 Dummy 25 Successful 34 (1 Advance)

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
20 Sept - Turn 2
No RU RE this turn. RU receive a second Artillery Strike during their PFPh.
KG1
With the Rocket OBA lifted, and facing little opposition, aside from a stack of broken RU units, the pioneers are able to clear the NKVD House buildings down to Ermskaya. In the subsequent GE DFPh, an FT gets a K/3, which because of RS takes out the leader,a nd reduced to squads to HS status. They are subsequently killed by regular fire power. The pioneers will now move south to support the northern element of KG2, while the lone 338 HS will spend the scenario trying to secure VPO locations.
16960 16954
Meanwhile the fight down the Volga bank is going good for the Germans, who are able to first kill a berserk 458 charging their positions before pushing the already broken RU further South. This also allows them to gain the cover of the shoreline buildings as they advance southward. The RU DFPh, sees the existing 120mm + OBA land short on their own troops so it is cancelled, however another 80mm + OBA takes its place in the RU PFPh, but luckily for the Germans, lands off course (and partially offboard) in BB-1. Finally, the RU sniper continues to cause havoc to the GE rear troops, in this case a stack of HS Lt Mtr crews making their way towards the crestline to support the effort along the banks. First a Sniper breaks two HS, then comes back for another go and kills an already broken HS. With some luck, these crews can act as Sniper bait and keep it from attacking important stacks.

KG2
Most of the Kampfgruppe have reached the Penzenskaya side of the block, and ready to bring fire onto the RU units hold up in the eastern buildings. Despite some leaders PANICing, the majority of troops are lined up and ready to go. The Northern element will be supported in crossing the road by the pioneers of KG1, though they are not quite in position yet. Once this northern element crosses over (into Y13/15), they will support their fellows to the south in doing the same as well.

KG3
This Kampfgruppe has struggled with a spate of PANICed leaders and/or broken squads, and so have not had much success in forging ahead.
Luckily, the StuG G in V31 was able to avoid being killed in CC (a close one with only the mobility of the vehicle saving it from a kill by the lone 628 that Reaction Fired against it when it started up), and had pulled back to engage with its MA. So to, the 50L AT gun in U31 swings its barrel back to the East to bring fire onto the two close RU squads, and along with other concentrated fire (including DFPh), the two squads are broken (1 is killed) and the other routs away to a leader for rally. Meanwhile, a platoon from KG4 is being detached so they can help reinforce the fragile eastern flank of KG2. Finally the H-to-H going on in T28 has lasted for 3 rounds so far with out anyone dying. Amazing.

KG4
Great progress is being made in this sector, as all RU defense in Block 7 has been killed or forced to rout away, allowing for occupation in Turn 3 by the GE. Only three Good Order RU (2V45/U49/V48) units remain in the block, and their separation means no large fire groups to hack away at the Germans. Though the 45L AT in V48 will have to be dealt with quickly. Meanwhile, the FOO has lifted the barrage from U43, and shifted the fire eastward to AA41, while the fresh reinforcements are almost at the front line.

Tallies
CVP
: GE 91 RU 14
VP: GE 15 RU 0
S? Activations: 17 Dummy 9 Successful 8

Last edited:

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL is a game that certainly invokes a perception of non-randomness. Like how the sniper consistently picks your leader in a stack.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
ASL is a game that certainly invokes a perception of non-randomness. Like how the sniper consistently picks your leader in a stack.
Yup. Literally just happened again.

A 458 fires in the AFPh (2FP), cowers, and the target's NMC still causes a Sniper Activation, which lands on a 8-1/838 stack, killing the 8-1 via RS. The chaos of war I guess.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
20 Sept - Turn 3

No RU RE this turn.

KG1
Russian defense in this sector has disintegrated, and GE have been able to clear down to hexrow 7, with only broken units IVO FF7. They were able to break a platoon of pioneers that had moved to the crestline (BB7) and force them back, but overall the RU are not in a good position along the Volga. The lone 338 is in the process of gaining positive control over the NKVD house and environs, and will continue to do so, while a platoon of pioneers will help clear out stubborn RU resistance around the Brewery. If this position can be secured, the subsequent assaults can be directly support by MG stacks in the upper levels, and provide excellent coverage of the jetties. Meanwhile, the pesky RU 80mm+ OBA continues to 'splash around', and is ineffective in attack the GE forces.

KG2
Continued progress in this sector as well, with the northern elements securing the northern half of the sector, and other GE forces are closing in on X20. Luckily for the Germans, a StuG G lands a Hail Mary shot (+5 DRM) scores a hit on a lone 426 that likely would have entered CC with a PANICed 548, had it not been CR and broken from the 75L.
Only a Fanatic 248, a Heroic 9-1 and a wounded Hero remain in Block 2 to thwart GE progress, and with luck they can be dealt with in the next GE PFPh. All that remains after that is to secure Block 2, and then attempt to push into the Brewery and State Bank buildings. Should this come off, the GE will be in strong defensive positions for further attacks along the waterfront.

KG3
Reinforcements have begun to trickle in from the West, and with the increased firepower available, hopefully some progress can be made in this sector. A H-to-H between 2x247/467 and a 458 ended after four rounds of combat with them killing each other.
While painful from a GE manpower perspective, an Elite RU squad was eliminated, further weakening the RU defensive effort. Unfortunately some of the Leadership and one StuG PANICed in the RU turn and thus were unable to direct sufficient firepower to cause any damage to the RU across the way.

KG4
Here to, much progress is being made with the GE forces all but in control of Block 7. Only a single broken 458 (2V47) remains in the block, with all other RU forces being routed out. The next turn will again be spent trying to gain positive control over the block, while MG firebases are setup to possibly exploit the gaps in the RU defense before the scenario can end.

Tallies
CVP
: GE 134 RU 23
VP: GE 17 RU 0
S? Activations: 17 Dummy 8 Successful 9 (1 Reserve)

...and the 'Special Kills' column...leaders and snipers just don't mix I tell you.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yup. Literally just happened again.

A 458 fires in the AFPh (2FP), cowers, and the target's NMC still causes a Sniper Activation, which lands on a 8-1/838 stack, killing the 8-1 via RS. The chaos of war I guess.
Don't sweat it, it's an unwritten rule (I swear!).:eek:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
20 Sept - Turn 4
No RU RE this turn. Things are looking good, and in anticipation of the scenario ending soon, this turn and the balance of the game will be spent in securing lines for a rumoured Russian counter-attack.

KG1
Excellent progress continues in this sector, with GE forcing RU units to break and rout away to safety, clearing the way along the Volga. One 458 gets a lucky shot and manages to break most of a pioneer platoon who are themselves forced to retreat, but aside from that the situation looks good. The 9-2-led MG stack in 2T6, have left their perch and moved to take up positions to better overlook the Volga to support the continued clearance along the riverbank.

KG2
The northern elements have secured their position, and are ready to support the south in crossing over to the Brewery/State Bank. Unfortunately, an 82* MTR has appeared in AA17, and it is wrecking havoc on the 8-1 stack in Y18. The StuG G, provided it doesn't PANIC again, will likely overrun the troublesome tube in the next turn. Unfortunately, the Russian defense has stiffened in the South, and the RU 9-2 stack in BB18 has done a good job of also breaking the approaching GE. While the Brewery looks attainable, the State Ban will likely be out of reach this scenario.

KG3
KG3 continues to stall in the attack, despite the fresh reinforcements that are now in position. Effective RU DF/PFPh has done a good job of breaking most GE resistance, and X29 has become fortified and is full of 458's led by a 9-2. If this strongpoint can be dealt with quickly, some progress forward might be made despite the lateness of the hour.

KG4
This Kampfgruppe has completed the take over of Block 7, and have even pushed some elements into the block of tall buildings across Octyabirskaya. More pioneers lie ready to exploit the gap in the RU lines, and join their fellows. A 76* INF gun has appeared in Z50, but the accompanying RU squad has PANICed this turn, and the 9-2 MG stack in 2V45 is ready to bring down fire upon the bastion, which should be securable in the next turn.
Tallies
CVP
: GE 160 RU 28
VP: GE 24 RU 0
S? Activations: 16 Dummy 10 (5 Reserve) Successful 6