VOTG - SASL CGIV (AAR)

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
15 Sept - Turn 2
The 9th of January Square battle is going good for the Germans. They have the two remaining RU MMC (1.5 x 628) pinned and encircled under the wreck of the Sdkfz 10/5 which they killed in the RU CCPh. Meanwhile the 10-3 continues to run around and activate the troops in the North.
16444 16445
In the middle, the fight over the Russian pocket (K23) continues, and another HMG crew is doing a good job of keeping the Germans away or broken; GE MMC retain their positions in the fortified location however they foolishly advance into CC with the PANICed 447 in the cellar. Despite being PANICed, the 447 gains ambush and kills the two GE squads in H-to-H. Stupid move I made there.
The fight for the Nail Factory has swung in the Russians favour, with the complete breakdown of the GE squads in the vicinity. Three StuG G's have moved into range to bring HE fire upon the RU kill stack, but given the modifiers, will likely prove ineffective, and they might even be destroyed in CC during the next RU turn. Possibly another stupid move I made. It might be best to pull back, let the RU have the block, and cover the open spaces.
South of the Nail Factory, there are three Stosstruppe with DC's that can hopefully deal with the pillbox and help secure the tall stone buildings on the east side of the street. Only a 458 and a 9-0 are available to defend the area (also the stack in the pillbox).
Things are looking dire indeed for the Germans in the South, going into Turn 3. GE will probably win because there are no RU units in the centre preventing the land grab (and VP gain), but the overall losses might see an idle day for the 16th. We'll see how the rest of the scenario pans out.
Tallies
CVP
: GE 34 RU 22
VP: GE 15 RU 1
S? Activations: Total 4 Dummy 3 (Hold) Successful 1 (Hold)

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The chance that a sniper kills the 9-1 in a stack with two other MMC...100%

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
15 Sept - Night Turn 3
No RU Reinforcements this turn again.
GE units that have Freedom of Movement, begin to inch along the northern map edge to secure more cleared areas, as well as general inching forward (where there are no unbroken RU MMC) along the front to gain control over VPO's. RU kill stacks for their part continue to break/PIN GE units that deign to get too close (as happened in M21), not too mention advancing into CC with adjacent AFV's (as happened in K35).
16465 16462
Only a single 458 passes its TC to enter melee with the StuG G, but it gains ambush and turns the AFV into a burning wreck.
Meanwhile the two broken MMC in M34, both roll boxcars when attempting to rally and are eliminated, leaving their two LMG's lying on the ground. The 8-0 with them, picks up one and then attempts to make a long manouver out of LOS towards I34 where he can hopefully have better luck trying to rally the two broken MMC there. He drops off the LMG he was carrying in K33 for the other GE units that moved there afterwards.
South of the Nail Factory, the GE have gained the initiative, and the Stosstruppe have finally crossed the street and moved into position to use their DC on the pillbox in front of them. Other units to the East and South of the pillbox are pushing the broken RU units away, and gaining control of VPO in the process. In the next GE MPh (provided they don't PANIC) I will Set a DC (maybe two?) on the pillbox roof to blow it up. Likely the RU units inside will be advancing into CC with the 548's in their turn, but we'll see how that goes.
Tallies
VP
: GE 21 RU 6
CVP: GE 42 RU 34

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
...and the chances of a RU Sniper landing on, and killing the 10-3 in stack with two other MMC...100%

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Oh its definitely fitting for Stalingrad, It's just that the chances of the sniper taking out the leader in a stack (for me at least), is more often than not. Just like, when I roll 12 on the IFT, its always the HMG that breaks down, not the mmg, not the lmg. Basically, I'm saying that I suck at RNG. I think I've lost over half my leaders to sniper attacks, and the odds seem to be better than 1:4 or 1:3 like they normally are stacked with.

EDIT

Its gotten to the point now, that I usually call it before I roll, or at last am not that surprised anymore (or angry).

EDIT EDIT

Also in this particular case, during the RU PFPh, the 9-1 was whacked, during the GE MPh, the 10-3 moved and took over the same stack as the 9-1 led. In the AFPh, the 10-3 gets whacked. I can't make this stuff up.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
15 Sept - Night Turn 4
Again, no more RU reinforcements show up on the map edges.

The 9th of January Square has been swept clear of EN forces, who are in full rout to the east and Pavlov's House. Even though I could probably occupy it, given the lack of any opposition in the vicinity (only 2 S? in Hold attitude remain IVO Pavlov's House), I'll leave it for the next day and give a chance for more RU units to hold up in it. Sadly, the loss of a 10-3 and a 9-1 to snipers have hindered the efforts of the northern KG. After hearing of the loss of the 9-1 in the RU PFPh, the 10-3 double-timed back to the MG stack (in L8) to attempt to control their fire, but was himself shot in the head by the same sniper in the AFPh of the GE turn. The two 467's manning the MG's broke at the sight, and will likely remain broken until scenario end.
The fight for the K23 fortified building goes on, as the nearby RU HMG and kill stack, seem intent on breaking any GE units that get too close. Care will have to be taken to try and hold onto the building without being shot up.
Near the Nail Factory, the lone 8-0 managed to reach the broken GE units in H33, and can hopefully begin to rally them so they can contribute to the battle nearby. Ironically, due to the burning StuG G wreck, the GE units now have visibility to the adjacent RU stack that was in K35/36, and between the other three StuG's, the 50L AT (in G37), and reinforcing MMC in K33, the RU forces have been eliminated except for the PINNED 447 manning the dropped .50 HMG. Two more RU MMC are approaching from the Southeast, so we will see how that transpires. Also somewhat ironic, is that the 50L AT ended up getting 10 shots before it lost ROF, one of which is the one that activated the RU sniper that took out the 10-3; at least it took the 9-0 commissar anf HMG wielding 458 with its many shots.
South of the Nail Factory, two Stosstruppe have managed to SET two DC on the troublesome pillbox, with a view to detonating them in the next DFPh, That should eliminate the pillbox (the second one is just insurance), and then the many Stosstruppe in the area begin to help out on the assault against the Nail Factory holdouts.
It was a close one, as on the preceding RU APh, the 458 in the pillbox, exited it and engaged the two concealed 548s that were on top of it, and almost gained ambush too boot. The 548's did manage to kill the squad, retaining their concealment and ability to SET the DC in the next turn.
Tallies
VP
: GE 38 RU 6
CVP
: GE 56 RU 39
S? Activations: Total 1 Dummy 1 (Hold) Successful 0

Last edited:

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It may be too early yet but I’d be interested in your opinion of play balance in this campaign. I ask because most of my SASL experiences have seen the Enemy side get walked over. I haven’t played this campaign though and your excellent AARs have got me thinking about giving it a go.

Quite a few years ago I did do one of the RB SASL campaigns and it wasn’t really much of a challenge. That experience pretty much relegated SASL to the “meh” column for me. I’ve followed a couple more SASL campaigns on this forum and play balance heavily favored the Friendly side; which makes them a fun read but they don’t seem like much fun to play through to completion.

I do think SASL is an excellent venue for learning new rules and testing tactics. Couple this with the fun experience you are having with this campaign, it may be time to break this title out again.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think the SASL game can run the gamut from a walk-over to overwhelming, it just depends on the dice rolls. This night campaign is turning into a walk over for the Germans (I'm thinking of calling it after Turn 5 because most of the opposition has disappeared, and in fact haven't really moved the northern and southern units as aggressively as I could because I don't want to take the whole map). The walk-over is further helped along with a 2 AC, absolutely no reinforcements (mostly due to the low AC) for the past 5 turns, and a paltry 59 Advance Attitude S? with a token 21 S? in Hold. I think I might replay this with a higher AC and more Advance S? to see what it might be like. Also, I sometimes ignore what the Action die roll says to do and do what I think makes sense instead (notably not blindly rushing across open ground towards VPO, forming FG's from several adjacent hexes, etc.). That being said, elite and first line RU MMC are absolute beasts in CC.

As an example, my first play of 14D I generated 3-4 dug-in AFV. I had 7 (or so?) on the second playthrough. The StuG's are ineffective, so I had to depend on CC, which ended up killing 2 or more MMC in the process of eliminating the AFV, and two were abandoned at scenario end, saving me the trouble). Both playthroughs proved decisive victories for the Germans, but the second was slightly harder because of the AFV's and having to deal with them.

I'd agree with your point about balance; my SASL games (I've only played German and the one British (Canadian) campaign I posted here) have all been relatively easy. GE kill-stacks make mincemeat of the odd MMC that they face. Again it depends on the dice and what you face. I can tell you that I'm really feeling the effectiveness of the RU SAN 7.

Re this Campaign Game, I think modifying some of the refit phase die rolls to reflect that the germans will amass a hell of a lot of CVP has to be considered. I couldn't tell you what, but getting 200+ CVP in a single scenario changes the game somewhat (primarily the reason why the Russians didn't get their 14N night attack).

As a final point, this walkover is likely helped along because I forget certain rules at the wrong time (no S? in upper levels of a gutted building (reduced the over all number of S? in scenario 2 (and 1), forgetting the HOB DRM for being in a RU Strongpoint (possibly more heroes and less berserk while IN a strongpoint...I literally just realized this today), etc. While not necessarily game breaking, could be a big deal.

But it is fun.

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
15 Sept - Night Turn 5
GE forces in the North have firmed up their positions, and will not advance any further, rather waiting for a final push during the day. Further south, IVO the fortified K23, RU units continue to regroup and advance to try and take the German toehold. Concentrated GE fire causes a 426 to go berserk, while another 426 breaks from the pressure. Nearby GE units adjust themselves into stronger positions with a view to bring more devastating firepower onto the RU units in the subsequent turn.
The fighting around the Nail Factory is finally dying down, with GE troops in full control of the two hex building.
This was enabled by seeing the pillbox blown to bits with two well placed DC (1 came close (off by 1), while the other did the job), and a berserk 468, that entered CC with the PINNED 458 and 9-0 commissar in M39, killing them both at the loss of a HS.
Finally, the GE units south of the Nail Factory have begun clearing the empty stone buildings and gaining control of key locations. They will not be advancing further, despite the dwindling opposition.

At the end of Turn 5, I rolled a 5, which means the scenario will continue, however I'm going to call it as a German win for this scenario and end it. Even if the RU were to get reinforcements in Turn 6 (RU finally get an RE and its a 70+ OAB artillery strike, which does catch the 9-2 in the north, but is over half off board, also they finally get a reinforcement roll and 7S? will enter the South map edge), likely right into the face of the GE units in the 1st of May Square. Note that these are just about the only GE troops that don't have Freedom of Movement yet. This is what it would look like if they were to come on board. I just don't see how they can make an impact, in a turn or two ( in Turn 6, a 1-3 dr ends the scenario).
Tallies
VP
: GE 49 RU 4
CVP: GE 66 RU 43
The Causalities Bin
Onto 16 Sept...

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for your insights a post ago. I played your Canadian campaign through the third mission but stopped because of the lack of opposition. As you say, it depends on the dice. There was a SASL series replay in The General where the Friendly side lost. That was a game of bunker busting as I recall. Never played that mission...maybe I should :)

Glad you're having fun with this campaign. I'm having fun following along so thanks for that. Tom is a good designer so I was curious in your opinion on how it's playing out. I can certainly see your point about fighting against a 7 SAN. Maybe all SASL missions and campaigns should have that just to keep you off balance.

One last point I'll bring up...it's great to see the casualties bin get such a work out. Doug worked hard to make that work and it seems to be a very useful addition to the VASL module.

Okay, I'm back to lurk mode.

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Ok,...1 more turn ;)

15 Sept - Night Turn 6 (Scenario End)
Only two scenes of battle are worth mentioning for Turn 6, as the GE pretty well stayed in position, except for these two. Though there was some minor shuffling to help out with the GE perimeter delineation.

In the centre, two RU units had become berserk (1 x 458 rolled snake eyes on its self-rally), and after the RU PFPh, advanced into the adjacent hexes.
16489 16490
The target of the 458, was 2 x 467 that were just broken in the PFPh by the HMG/9-2 units in M23; the two broken units routed to L20, and the 458 followed them in the APh. Due to it being berserk (and Lax/Stealthy) it was unable to gain ambush, and died in H-to-H against the overstacked GE squads (close one). Meanwhile, a berserk 426 jumped onto the adjacent StuG G (suffering a K/4 result reducing it too a HS), and was also joined by another 458 (from L22).
Luckily for the Germans, neither unit was able to gain ambush, and so the vehicle survived the round albeit became immobilized. The two RU units were subsequently eliminated in the next GE PFPh with a 4 KIA result, which also thankfully was unable to kill the AFV with the MG fire. Meanwhile, during the RU's DFPh, the nearby HMG finally breaks when shooting up the Germans, which clears the way for the GE units to advance closer to it.
IVO the Nail Factory, aided by the nearby Blaze, GE DFPh and PFPh finally breaks the only Good Order unit in the fortified building location. This clears the way for other GE units to enter the ground floor locations (broken RU units moved up to the 1st floor).
Finally, as expected, the 7 S? that entered the south map-edge were ineffective, with only 1 unit (1 628) activated out of the closest 3xS? counters. At the end of GE Turn 6, I roll a 3 which ends the scenario. RU have three 1st floor pockets (K36/L36/M37) at Scenario End, none of which pass the TC to try an escape and so will begin the next scenario with Ammunition Shortage.
Tallies
VP
: GE 52 RU 4
CVP: GE 74 RU 43
S? Activations: Total 5 Dummy 4 (2 Hold) Successful 1 (Advance)
The perimeter as it stands at Scenario End
Other tallies...
Activation List (there should be an extra dead 237 HS in the list below), also, the RU .50 Cal HMG was abandoned on the ground floor of K36...yoink.

GE BH 5 x 467 and an 8-0. 16 Sept will be a day time dual-assault scenario.

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
DEPRECATED
After a poor turn for the RU, I decided to have the RU be idle and the Germans Assault. See Here for actual 16 Day AAR.

END EDIT
GE Purchases for 16 Sept (23 CPP to spend):
  1. Stuka II (w/ Support CPP)
  2. 150+ OBA w/ pre-registered hex, offboard observer (Plentiful Ammo)
  3. Rifle Coy (reinforced; w/ 9-2, 8-1, 8-0)
Scenario Parameters:
Moderate EC, Clear Skies, Mild Breeze from SE.
GE ELR 4 GE SAN 4

EN Parameters:
AC: 3 RE: 5/6/7 SAN: 6 ELR: 4 Boobytrap: C
S?: Total 96 Advance 68 Hold 28
Activated S?: Total 21 Dummy 8 Successful 13

RU sets up first, GE moves first.
EDIT
Here is the map for the 16 Sept scenario...
The German plan will be in two phases.

Phase 1 will see the GE forces attempt to activate and eliminate as many advancing S? counters as possible. Once the main pressure is reduced or eliminated, units will switch to phase 2.
Phase 2 will see the GE forces attempt local counter-attacks to gain ground and clear the north-map edge to the Volga if possible. This will be broken down into several Kampfgruppe.

KG 1 (IVO 9th January Square). Under cover fire of smoke from OBA the north KG will push the map-edge and towards Pavlov's House to secure a foothold. Once secure, the southern elements of the KG will approach the Voentorg/Zabolotnov' House from the south, attempting to gain and hold as many VPO hexes as possible.
KG 2 (between Solechnaya & Kievskaya). The elite troops and stosstruppe will hold the north centre, andupon successful completion of Phase 1, will push Eastward towards Smodenskaya securing stone locations as they go.
KG 3 (between Kievskaya & Bolshayavitskaya). Bearing the brunt of the Soviet assault, KG 3 will attempt to hold for Phase 1 and then switch to the assault if still combat ready. KG 3 will sweep East and Southeast to clear and gain ground, with a view to reaching Smolenskaya.
KG 4 (IVO Nail Factory). Spearheaded by assault pioneers (no FT remain for them to use) and Elite troops, KG 4 will attempt to clear out soviet strongpoints in the area and push towards Ostrowskaya and the Square of fallen heroes.
KG 5 (1st of May Square). While undermanned during Phase 1, opposing pressure should be light. Once reinforced by Rifle Coy 9 (approaching from off-board) Phase 2 will see them push along the south map edge and clear the way up to the Theater, and then support the effort of KG 4 in clearing the Square of Fallen Heroes.
We'll see how things shake out...

Attachments

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
SITREP #3

Here is my list of purchases to date.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok,...1 more turn ;)

15 Sept - Night Turn 6 (Scenario End)
Luckily for the Germans, neither unit was able to gain ambush, and so the vehicle survived the round albeit became immobilized. The two RU units were subsequently eliminated in the next GE PFPh with a 4 KIA result, which also thankfully was unable to kill the AFV with the MG fire. Meanwhile, during the RU's DFPh, the nearby HMG finally breaks when shooting up the Germans, which clears the way for the GE units to advance closer to it.
View attachment 16492
Just a note that may be appropriate: If the Germans fired into the Melee containing the immobilized StuG, which I think the part highlighted in red means, they would be unable to affect the AFV anyway as a vehicle is never held in Melee (A11.7) and thus would not be considered a Melee unit.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Sounds right. I just pictured the RU units swarming all over the immobilized AFV, and the GE units pinging rounds off the armour trying to sweep them clear :D

Also the rear armour of the StuG is only 3, with the range and TK means there might have been a chance. I rolled and it didn't make it, but I'll bear what you said in mind.

EDIT
Just saw the answer you gave in A9.6. So I would not have affected the AFV unless I specifically targeted it.

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I may have to revisit the initial setup/RU plan
Before scenario start, NOTE I forgot that the warehouse buildings (T3/U3) do not have a 1st level...
After the RU DFPh of the FIRST GE TUrn...
So much for any hope of a Russian assault. I don't think that having only two hexes worth of S? from the RU frontline is enough potential counters. Definitely should not be any chance of an AC 2 while the RU intends to attack (though in my case the current AC is 3 and I rolled a lot of 5's & 6's).

BTW this is somewhat typical all along the line (except IVO the Nail Factory (below)), but especially pertinent to the north.
I'm of two minds on how to proceed.
  1. Fortify Pavlov's House and Zobolotnov's House, and put a single HOLD S? in each hex (maybe location?), keep the rest of the RU frontline as is.
  2. Switch the RU plan to a Hold mission and just don't do any daytime Russian assaults. Possibly add local counter-attack mode S? in key areas.
What do you guys think?

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would definitely pick #2.

I was surprised that the Russians were going to assault in the daylight at all.