VOTG - SASL CGIV (AAR)

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is a brutal start. I like how you roll for panic on T1 as realistically OpOrders never go as planned.

I know that the rules do not differentiate but some people choose to ignore 1st turn panic checks.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Never played like that. I think because the rule doesn't say, that by implication it doesn't say to NOT do it. But I could see the argument.

At any rate, the GE 1st Turn CCPh continues to be brutal. GE wins ambush and kill a Russian unit, but in another combat, with no ambush, a measly 426 and 7-0 take out 3 548's and a 9-1 in CC. Ouch..
and in the South it keeps getting worse... Only three MTR crews can keep the Elite 628 out of the I50 bldg, since the StuG G broke its MA

I think I need a break for a couple of days.

Attachments

Last edited:

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don’t like your bad luck but I do like these AARs. Hope you come back ready to make some lemonade 😀

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Enemy Turn 1. My DFPh pre-registered 150+ OBA lands an FFE directly on my beleaguered 7-0 stack that is already broken, and kills the leader, also turns the adjacent StuG B into a flaming wreck...sigh.
also, two more StuG's broke their MA.

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
15 Sept - Day Turn 1

German turn was horrible, OBA drew a RED CHIT, most of the PFPh was ineffective, and RU DFPh was deadly. The turn was only somewhat mitigated by several successful CC rolls in both the GE CCPh and the RU CCPh. Notably, 2 x 467 were able to eliminate a berserk 458 and a 628 at the loss of a single HS, while two gun crews fell to assault, including a deadly 45LL AT gun. The North KG 1 is doing fairly well, but the loss of a 9-2 and a 10-2 leader might hurt command rolls in the future.
KG2 and 3 in the centre are pushing slowly forward, but again the loss of a 9-1 and 3 x 548 Stosstruppe in a H-to-H will slow progress in that sector. The NKVD strongpoint (4 hexes IVO K28) is only occupied by a single 458, and he is surrounded by strong GE squads for the Turn 2 PFPh.
KG4 is almost combat ineffective, with the Drop Short OBA, and the loss of a StuG B. Luckily, the two GE stacks in K36/37 are able to hold their own against the RU squads and broke one of them with concentrated DFPh, clearing the way for their occupation of the fortified building adjacent, and slowly bring pressure from the North. Reinforcements are on the way, in the form of 6 MMC and two leaders to buff up the KG.
KG5 in the south has been reinforced with the three StuG G's, but ROF saw two of them break their MA. At least the RU 628 is pinned and unable to occupy building G50, and will hopefully be eliminated in the Turn 2 GE PFPh. Worrisome is the 45LL that appeared in L46. It is in a trench behind the wall, but will be deadly for anything that approaches through the orchards.

Tallies
CVP: GE
28 RU 32
VP: GE 3 RU 1
S? Activations: Total 72 Dummy 26 Successful 46

FYI, I did a quick REDO, and it turned out much better (CVP: GE 20, RU 2 with everything hitting as it should), but I'll keep playing this one.

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Turn 2 GE PFPh, PANIC all around.
Another one bites, and another one bites, another one bites the dust...

Last edited:

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is brutal for sure but every scenario can't be a victory or SASL would be zero fun. The Germans have time to regroup, this just makes it a tougher situation.

I am enjoying the set backs as reality. S**t does go wrong! Please do not quit. This CG could be a real nail biter.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm gonna blame Turn 1 on all the schnapps that the Germans drank, celebrating the orgy of violence they visited on the Russians on the previous day :D Troops are still hungover and unable to coordinate.

15 Sept - Day Turn 2
GE get a RE roll that sees the RU suffer Ammunition Shortage.

KG1 is bogged down in a gunfight with Russian units, but is slowly reducing them. The RU HMG squad had gone berserk the previous turn, and the 468 that picked up the dropped SW is now ELR'd, broken, and reduced to a HS though the broken 10-3 is also still lurking around. Hopefully it will not be able to rally in the next turn. Reinforcements, and an 8-1 leader have arrived at the front line, which will help offset the loss of the leadership in the North. Another turn of good suppressing fire, and the Stosstruppe can possibly attempt to cross the street. Meanwhile, the northern sniper is doing its think behind the Russian frontline, activating or clearing S?
Meanwhile, KG2's Stosstruppe ran into a minefield (H17) as they were approaching the buildings on Communisticheskaya, so they were forced to retreat. They will have to gather themselves, and the force can make a push from the north end of the minefield. A 45L AT (J22) is keeping the elite MMC in the old railway station pinned down; the loss of the Stosstrupe complete means they do not have enough resources to push forward to complete their objective.
KG3 has cleared the two NKVD strongpoints (K27/28), and with the two supporting fire bases will attempt to clear north along Communisticheskaya and link up with KG2. The are the most successful group so far and have secured their primary objective, though they are facing some stubborn resistance from the east.
KG4 is temporarily combat ineffective. The unfortunate friendly fire from the errant OBA has demoralized their ability to continue, with a handful of 7-0 leaders to try and shore up their morale. One StuG B was blown up by the OBA, another was recalled as its MA had malfunctioned, and the other is unable to hit its target. The forward observer was able to correct the FFE, but in the Russian turn, his field phone became permanently disabled, so he will be unable to bring further indirect fire to bear in support. Fresh reinforcements are almost at the front line, including a 9-1 and an 8-1 leader which will hopefully stiffen the line. Russian DFPh caused a Boobytrap activation, which took out the 10-2 directing the MG stack, and also Reduced the MMG MMC to a HS, but a nearyby pair of German 447's have jumped into the fortified location to help man the SW. Luckily (?), the Russians have been spending all of their time firing, instead of moving, so they are still on their side of the street.
KG5 is now fully reinforced by reinforcements, and have successfully cleared out the stubborn squad in H50, freeing up the occupation of G50 and a subsequent push east from the assembled troops. Two heroes have shown themselves in the fray and will help direct the fights. The German sniper helped in this region, as it broke the crew manning the 45LL, forcing them to rout away to safety. Hopefully this advantage can be capitalized on quickly and KG5 can begin to clear the south map edge.
Tallies
CVP
: GE 40 RU 40
VP: GE 7 RU 0
S? Activations: Total 14 Dummies 6 (1 Reserve) Successful 5 (2 Reserve)

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
15 Sept Day Turn 3

The GE Turn 3 was mostly spent trying to break more Russian frontline MMC's, though the reduced RU HS does sneak back with the 10-3 to the 1st floor HMG in K9. Nothing else noteworthy to report, except for the few points below. KG 4 is still in a deadlock with the Russian units across the street, though a few intrepid squads have a toehold in the Nail Factory. I have to keep the pressure on them so that the Russians aren't able to push them out, though likely they will be.
Also, the reinforcements are finally all up to the front line in the North and South, so large German kill stacks should be able to break the fortified Russians; assault troops are in position to dart across the street in KG1 and 3 and clear those positions.
KG 3 in the centre has to deal with a berserk 8-0 and the 628 he dragged along with him, so they are still pinned down in the NKVD strongpoints, while the two GE MG stacks supporting them aren't doing enough damage to the RU MMC to the North.
KG4 is maneuvering into position, trying to keep concealment until they can unleash it all at the same time in the next GE PFPh. We'll see how that goes.
KG5's position has not changed position much, except for two forward positioned StuG G's and a hero-led couple of squads that are trying to keep the 45LL AT crew away from its gun. So far its broken twice and forced to abandon the gun. Maybe it time to try an OVR, except I'm afraid for the number of 458's I've spawned, which means they might make mincemeat out of the AFV's so I'm trying to slowly clear them away. Cross fire is coming from the North, but the two nearest RU stacks are broken so the pressure in the south might ease. The Lt Mtr group in F49 is doing a good job of clearing out some of the S? in the 1st of May Square, almost having run out of targets they can bring fire onto. So on the GE Turn 4, it might be time to go over the hedge.

Tallies
CVP
: GE 52 RU 44
VP: GE 20 RU 2
S? Activations: 19 Dummies 8 Successful 11 (1 Reserve)

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well, the Milchhaus just turned into an NKVD Strongpoint, because of a single 8+1 commissar and a lone NKVD 628 MMC. Plus my armour in the vicinity all seem to panic. Not sure if I can crack this nut before game end (I start rolling next turn).

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
15 Sept - Day Turn 4
Finally, progress is being made. All along the front, German PFPh and DFPh are becoming more effective, and breaking RU units. They must be over their schnappes-induced hangover.

KG1 in the North is finally pushing along the map edge and have reached a fortified building (N1), with only broken RU units around it. They will be able to clear another couple of hexes eastward before game end hopefully. The fight for the NKVD Strongpoint IVO the Milchhaus continues to rage. The HS manning the HMG (which finally broke from its intense firing) is broken again, and the way might be clear to enter a couple of squads into the ground floor beneath it (K9 is unguarded), though the other three hexes are all manned.
KG2's stosstruppe has reached Communisticheskaya, and will push south to secure the three large stone buildings along the street. The old railway station troops are using the cover provided by the smoke from the rubble fires to finally push eastward as well, and will be in range to deal with a pesky 45L AT that had been keeping them pinned down.
KG3 is still trying to deal with the berserk units that occupy L28, while the two supporting MG groups bring suppressing fire to RU units north of them.
With the additional fire support from the reinforcing company, KG4 is finally causing some damage against the fanatical RU troops in the NKVD strongpoint (K40-42), pinning and breaking squads, and causing the 628 manning the HMG to go berserk and advance into the street. Another round of fire should ease the crossing into the buildings across the street. The toehold in the Nail Factory is gone, as the pinned GE troops there opted to rout away rather than be massacred in CC. The StuG G with the broken MA is being used as cover to support troop movement, while the StuG B with the disable MA keeps PANICing, keeping it from moving offboard.
KG5 has cross the hedges into 1st of May Square, and caused a large stack of RU MMC to break and rout away (to M45). That leaves a single 458 in L47 and a couple of isolated S? still unactivated. The Lt Mtr stack has done an excellent job of clearing out S?, and clearing the way for further advance along the south map-edge.
Starting on Turn 5, I roll to see if the game ends, but for now things are looking much better than at the start of the scenario.

Tallies
CVP
: GE 69 RU 45
VP: GE 20 RU 2
S? Activations: Total 15 Dummy 9 (1 Reserve) Successful 6

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Cruel Close Combat...
458 gains ambush and gets a complete kill on the GE

EDIT
Turn about, and all that. :)

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
15 Sept - Day Turn 5

Firefights (and RNG luck) swings back and forth for Turn 5. The Milchhaus is being reduced, as is the K40-42 fortified building (no longer an NKVD one) through heavy PFPh/DFPh. Turn 6 should see GE troops pushing into these locations with luck. Also, the Germans get another RE (2 x leichte FLAK enter from the south edge).

KG1 is doing a good job of suppressing the Milchhaus strongpoint (no longer an NKVD one either as the commissar and NKVD 628 have died), and the two southern, ground floor, locations are occupied by GE troops. There are only two Good Order MMC in the northern two locations, and the berserk 226 on the first floor (in the old MG nest) trying to furiously enter CC with the GE troops below them. Further along the North map edge, GE squads have reached column N and with luck O and P along the edge (if they can break the RU 628 facing them there by himself. Much like the real use of StuG's during the War, I find the StuG's to be somewhat unable to deal with the fortified locations, maybe they can hit the 628 squad and redeem themselves. Unfortunately, a dug-in T34 spawned in M10 which derails advancement along that row.
KG2 continues to move slowly southward along the street clearing the stone buildings as they come. GE fire has caused a NKVD 628 squad to go berserk and it is currently engaged in H-to-H with 2 x 548s in the building north of it. Could be tense. Building I19 is now vacated and will be occupied (barring PANIC) by the GE in Turn 6. Meanwhile KG2 and 3 have begun to link up and are removing/breaking S?/MMC as they inch northward. However, the berserk 628 (leader rolled a FATE on a MC) is still a nuisance and has broken one of the two 838's holding them off. The three-hex blaze has spread a flame to H19, so the GE better get out of that hex.
KG4 has finally broken the backs of the Russians in K40/41, though the nearby commissar and 458 have reoccupied one of the hexes (though the HMG MMC is still broken for now). If they can be suppressed, the GE might be able to step foot inside the building. Meanwhile, GE troops have cleared the building directly south, and it is now in German hands. I also had just remembered that the burning StuG B wreck should have been producing SMOKE this whole time. Oops. Also, the StuG G with the malfunctioned MA managed to repair it so it can return to contributing to the battle.
In the south, a minor setback saw a hero, 8-1, 468 and a 467 die due to ambush as they tried to attack the lone 458 in L47. They were avenged in the subsequent DFPh, and the broken 458 decided to retreat out of the line of fire to regroup. The building should now be occupiable by the Germans.
Scenario End dr is a 4 so we go onto Turn 6.

Tallies
CVP
: GE 89 RU 54
VP: GE 27 RU 3 (I think I forgot to count some earlier)
S? Activations: Total 8 Dummy 4 (1 Reserve) Successful 4 (1 Reserve)

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
15 Sept Day Turn 6 - Scenario End
KG1 has secured a large portion of the North map sheet, while its southern elements are finally able to break the last Russian holdout in the fortified Milchhaus buildings due to encircling fire. Two 467's were also able to gain ambush on a dug-in T34 and were able to kill it without dying in the process. An unfortunate consequence of bringing encircling fire to the 458 holdout, was a RU HMG being activated in Pavlov's House and disabled a Sdkfz 10/5 with a couple of well aimed shots.
KG2 has secured the stone buildings lining the West side of Communistischeskaya, but an MG group strayed one building to far, and was broken having to leave its HMG behind as it routed away.
KG3, thanks to the leadership of the 10-3 is finally able to kill off the berserk 328 and clear the building adjacent to it.
KG4 has gained a toe hold into the fortified buildings beside the Nail Factory, but have revealed a roadblock, covered by a pillbox as the scenario ended. One of the 467's in K40 had gone berserk but was saved by the end. During the GE RPh, an RE is rolled, which sees a single 37L AT become available. I decided to put this in the area of KG4, with the intent to bring its weak firepower onto the RU HMG that continues to pepper the German positions. As expected, the 37L just can't bring enough FP to bear. But at least they have the toehold
KG5 has pushed well into the 1st of May Square, and also linked up with the southern tip of KG4, doing its part to secure the buildings across the street from it.
The scenario ends on a 1 dr in Turn 6, which was probably a good thing, what with the pilbox and HMG showing up unexpectedly where they did. The scenario end sees the immobilized light flak truck stuck in no man's land, as recce reports file in that the Russians are massing for a counter-attack. This is the frontline prepping for the night time counter attack. There are two isolated pockets of stubborn 447 on the German frontline (they were fighting from the cellars) that will also have to be dealt with.

Tallies
CVP
: GE 122 RU 57
VP: GE 43 RU 0
S? Activations: Total 11 Dummy 2 Successful 9
16411 16412
Other Metrics
  1. A total of 167 S? setup with another 201 in Reserve, of which 190 were rolled for activation, 73 were dummies and 117 were successful activations. This with an AC of 3.
  2. 39 x 458's were generated, which were extremely hard to break, especially if they are in a fortified building. Luckily, only 1 AFV showed up in the RU OoB, but three HMG's (1 possessed by the Germans now), aided by a 10-3 or a 10-0 commissar kept the Germans at bay for most of the game.
  3. The German Snipers mostly ended up behind the RU frontline, and were successful in clearing out many dummy S? counters.
  4. There is now a bunker beside the Nail Factory, behind the building, which will no doubt prove to be difficult to deal with. During the next day, hopefully a couple of DC-bearing 838's can deal with it and possibly the only FT still available.
  5. I basically wasted 14 CPP for this scenario, 8 on the OBA alone (150+, offboard obs, pre-registered hex), and another 6 on the FR RE chance. I did get three RE's (a pair of Sdkfz 10/5s, a single 37L AT gun, and RU suffering Ammo Shortage), so there is that, but generally they were ineffective (except for the Ammo Shortage). The OBA was the most disappointing however, first it lands three hexes away from my pre-registered hex (right onto my troops), then I pick a red chit (my second, the first was on the 1st turn GE PFPh) when I try to do another fire mission. I also lose the battery for the next scenario.
  6. I underestimated the effectiveness (or the number that were to be activated) of the RU 458's. I haven't played to many late war games against the Russians, so seeing them have parity is scary ;)
  7. Russian's roll a nighttime counter attack, and its overcast with a half-moon. This could be interesting.

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Am I missing something?

I could have sworn that I read in the VOTG Solitaire (maybe Chapter S?) that there is a chance that ALL S? in Hold change to Advance at some point in the game. I read the VOTG Solitaire twice just now and I can't see it. Am I misremembering? I don't see how the defender can gain VP if only a couple of units get the Move order AND they are not in a VPO location already. That basically means that no RU units move unless they roll a 2-4 on the Action table.

I think I'll rely less on the RNG orders for actions, and play them normally from the RU perspective. Maybe I'll do a dr for each action, and 1-3 I'll do what the table says, 4-5 I'll play it normally. What do you guys think?

EDIT
Oopsies

Also forgot two important things...
  1. Misread the final sentence on Gutted Buildings (V7.2), that ALL NON-ROOFTOP locations exist. I went off my apparently failing memory from several years ago when I played this last and have not placed any S? above ground level in the taller buildings. Likely would have impacted the carnage around the Nail Factory block of buildings.
  2. Miscounted 'Building Control' hexes throughout the scenario, and how the rule (A26) works. The final tally was correct, but the intervening turns VP tallies were incorrect.

Last edited:

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe, this answers your question (hopefully):

None of the 'Hold' counters are directly attached so would be lost at the end of the scenario

You set up for the next scenario per VotG 20.41 (4.1):

for all subsequent CG scenarios S? are placed per 4.1a (including Rooftop, Rail Car, Wrecked Rail Car, Debris, Shellholes and Orchard Locations) in each hex containing an ENEMY Frontline Location (V12.2) and in each ENEMY Controlled Perimeter Area hex that is ≤ 5 hexes (if the ENEMY selected an Idle chit) or ≤ 2 hexes (if the ENEMY selected an Attack chit) from an ENEMY Frontline Location. All S? placed in this manner assume a Hold Attitude.

Then you roll for your type of ATTACK:

VotG 20.41: ATTACKING ENEMY: If the ENEMY has selected an Attack chit make a subsequent dr to determine the type of attack [EXC: in the Initial Scenario of CGII/CGIV the German ENEMY is automatically conducting an All-Out Attack] and which S? are changed to Advance Attitude:
Attack Determination drm: ± x Historical DRM.
Final dr 1-2 = ALL-OUT ATTACK: All S? in ground level Locations are changed to Advance Attitude.
Final dr 3-4 = GENERAL ATTACK: Each S? in a ground level Location in or adjacent to an ENEMY Frontline Location is changed to Advance Attitude.
Final dr 5-6 = PROBING ATTACK: Make a dr for each S? in a ground level Location in or adjacent to an ENEMY Frontline Location; on a dr ≤ 3 the S? is changed to Advance Attitude.

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That probably is what it was. I was conflating Hold (and Idle), with the Attack and Advance. Thanks.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
15 Sept - Night (Russian All-Out Attack)
As expected, the Russian masters of the night stage a counter-attack to regain lost holdings. I lucked out on the EN parameter rolls: AC is only 2, RE's are 3/4/5 and Boobytrap drop to B. However the NVR is only 2 because its overcast with a half-moon. Reminder that Germans are LAX and RU 1st/Elite are Stealthy. Should be fun. We'll see how the Reinforcements dr's go (though it only happens on a 1 or 2).

Initial S?
Advance Attitude
: 59
Hold Attitude: 21
Pre-Game Activations: 9 (6 successful, 3 dummy) that generate an 82* MTR on the 1st level of O35, a 458/447 stack with a 9-2 adjacent, a 458/447 stack with a .50cal HMG and a 9-0, and another 458/447 stack with a 9-1 in the pillbox, amongst others. Should be a deadly first RU PFPh, luckily the GE is concealed.
EN Recce: RU reconnoiters 6 positions.
EN Recce Results

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
15 Sept - Night Turn 1

Not a lot of Russian pressure in the North. The Sdkfz 10/5 will likely die in the next RU turn, but the GE troops have done a good job, or I should say the dr have not been in the S? favour. Most of the Advance S? in the 9th of January Square were dummies, and what did activate was easily swept aside, besides the aforementioned RU stacks about to eliminate the Sdkfz 10/5. The 10-3 (originally in M10) is now moving around trying to activate the GE MMC.
16435 16434
A bit further south, amongst the stone blockhouses, a dreaded T34 shows up, with a 628 tagging along. The squad is quickly dealt with, but the nearby 50L AT PANIC's at the sudden appearance, and so the T34 is in a threatening position for the Germans. However, on the subsequent GE PFPh, the AT gun finds its nerves, swings the gun around, and nails two quick shots into the side of the T34, with an APCR round that eliminates the AFV. Meanwhile, the Russian 447 in a cellar pocket beneath the GE stack (K23), and the two RU Stacks adjacent are unable to cause a lot of damage to the GE stack, though they do break two 467 squad
16436 16437 16438

In the centre, good DFPh has eliminated more dummy S? and dealt with any Russians that got too close. The commissar with the 458/447 advancing towards the GE strongpoint could be threatening, but the German Assault Engineers and a FT break that attack before it can build. The German PFPh (L30) illuminates its hex, and the RU 82* MTR capitalizes on it, breaking one of the squads. In hindsight, I clearly should of had the Assault Engineers and FT IVO the pillbox/Nail Factory. They would have been more effective there, and now are out of position, though I didn't anticipate the 2 AC and low number of advancing RU MMC.
16439 16440

The tensest moment for the Germans, has to be the fight IVO the Nail Factory. A 458/447 with a .50 cal HMG and a 9-2 (in M37) is proving very deadly, and is breaking any German MMC in range. While the nearby German MMC survive the Russian PFPh/AFPh (do to concealment) they crumble in the RU DFPh during the GE turn (36FP +3 DRM), and retreat out of the fortified building location to K36. Luckily, they broke the ground floor advancing Russians, so they might have time to rally before they are pushed out of the block completely. However most damaging to the German line, has to be the adjacent RU squads to K44, and the German stack there. The 8-1 leader and a Squad roll PANIC, and their DFF manages to break the 447 approaching with the 426, however the PANIC, and loss of concealment for firing leaves them vulnerable for a potential CCPh, which sure enough, the 426/447 pass their TC to advance into the combat. (The 447 started the scenario in a pocket in the cellar of L44, moved up in the MPh and then advanced in). Engaging the ambushed Germans in H-to-H they manage to kill a HS in the RU Turn, and wipe out the Germans in the GE Turn's CCPh without losing a man.
16441 16442
The situation in the South.
More and more German units are gaining Freedom of Movement so they should be able to deal with the low number of assaulting Russians, but the loss of 3x468 and the 8-1 really hurt.
Tallies
CVP
: GE 25 RU 10
VP: GE 11 RU 0
S? Activations: Dummy 35 (34 Advance, 1 Hold) Successful 23 (20 Advance, 3 Hold)