VOTG railcars and mines

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi gents,

"V4. RAIL CARS:
V4.1 TERRAIN:... Rail Car hexes are considered directly attached (B25.62) if one or more Rail Car depictions straddles the adjoining hexside (for an example see the 4.2 illustration)."

Does this apply only for spreading fire?

"V4.2 MOVEMENT: Infantry may enter a Rail Car hex at a cost of 2 MF [EXC: if Wrecked]. Infantry may also use Bypass Movement (A4.3) to enter a Rail Car hex as if it were a building [EXC: if Wrecked or Gutted]. Vehicles may only enter a Rail Car hex using Vehicular Bypass Movement (D2.3) as if entering a building hex [EXC: if Wrecked or Gutted] (see the 4.2 illustration)...."

The 4.2 illustration only deals with spreading fire not unit movement....

If I had the following situation:
Railcars straddle the E33/34 hexside....can the squad move from E33 to E34 without minefield attack?

Thanks,
John

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
No. Rail Cars are not treated as buildings for mine attack purposes.
Thanks, I know that it quoted above, and that is why the question came up. If both E33 & E34 were buildings and they were directly attached the squad could move between them without minefield attack if E34 were mined. So one could construe from this that seeing as how the 2 hexes are directly attached you could do the same on the railcar.

Please note that I think the situation is ridiculous in a real world sense, however I am trying to get a ruling to satisfy my opponent who maintains that this is the case.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
COWTRA. Ask him to show you where it says that attached railcars allow entry free of mine attack... put the onus on him.

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I just quoted his logic above. He would maintain that it is COWTRA. Because I have been told many times by ASL players to not present realism arguments but only rules arguments I can see how he could think this. That is why I posted the question here hoping to get an official ruling.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They are NOT buildings. The avoid mine attack SPECIFICALLY mentions building hexes. How are railcars == buildings? Realism or strict reading of English rules?