VotG CG IV: The North Shore Open

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If able, what was the squad count for each side at the end of 14N?
Looks like Germans purchased
Rifle Coy (offboard entry) 14 points
StugB 5 points
with the Stuka II taking the 6 support points.

Eagle02

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We've been keeping the sqd ratios classified. I'd guess the German headcount at 60-70 sqds. I agree with your assessment on the German purchases. I1 Rifle Co <7> and A1 StuG B pltn <4>, and add in OBA for O2 <4> I'd also venture to guess there are 2xStoss Pltns in reserve for <4> to bring total purchases to 18 CPP. S2 definitely purchased for the 6 supporting CPP. Something like that anyway.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey folks,

I don't have much to add from what Jim posted except a few tidbits. First, the Russian sniper has been on a tear overall with 4 1's and 4 2's vs the Germain 2 x 2's. Way up North I did what I could with a ton of resid but MikeP has been advancing steadily eastward.

Hmm, I don't remember breaking the 76L in Pavlov's house. I do remember breaking an MMG though. Don't have all of my notes right in front of me or maybe I'm just being hopeful. :)

I'm really looking forward to Thu night after missing last week b/ I was on vaca in half-sunny/half-rainy NH. At least the mosquitos weren't out in full force yet. Give it another week and then.... :)

M

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi folks,

We got a turn or so done tonight for 15D. Things are a lot different than on 14D. Basically, most of the action is up North. Down South, Jim and Dr D are just punishing each other in a shooting gallery (back and forth; back and forth). Up North, MikeP is pushing hard on the North board edge and made good progress. That and he's killing my Russians which doesn't make me happy. :(

In Russian turn 2 I did a ton of prep fire which was a huge mistake. I should have skulked but instead got greedy and tried to kill Germans. For my mistake, I got punished with zero results except a minor ROF tear on my remaining 76L in Q10. So now I had a ton of guys exposed for DFF, which MikeP took full advantage of. I lost a t 1-2-7 and MMG due to a KIA/3 from his 76* on a crit and also lost a broken 2-4-8 due to a failed MC, a 4-5-8 CR'd, a disrupted 4-2-6 and a 2-2-6 in CC. To top it off, I broke my phone in prep so no OBA!!!

Turn 3 was not much better as I lost another 4-5-8 and MikeP moves into Pavlov's house; with leadership!!! He also broke my 82mm MTR in S1 and pretty much has the board edge up to there. And it's only turn 3!!! My shining star so far has been the T-34 in U3. He did some nice damage to slow Mike's attack. Otherwise, I'm fighting for me life in the far North.

Mike is a moving pretty well in the middle too, but I have not reveled most of my units there yet so it remains to be seen how far the Germans will advance. Down South, I hear there is a bunch of fighting going on but the lines haven't changed much. There have been a bunch of deaths and hopefully Jim can post the numbers so far. Though he's going on holiday on Fri so I'm not sure what he can post before he leaves.

Big side note: tonight, the German sniper was hot. They had at least 10 chances and 6 results. Pretty much the opposite of the first 1.5 turns. Still too early to get an idea of the perimeter for 15N (if any) but we'll post more as it comes along.

M

Last edited:

PZchala

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good wrapup of last nights action, Mike.

I'm happy to be in Pavlov's House. That was a case of taking the opportunity when it presented itself. I didn't expect to be able to attack across the boulevard, but I had the numbers and enough damage to the enemy to make it.

Everything is so tenuous. A GOOD PFPh for you would have set me back a turn. As it was, I succesfully risked some 4 or 5 1 -2 resid to get across on the board edge.

We had at least three ITT CH's between us. I lost two units (1.5 squads, I think) to FTR, thanks to pushing so hard.

And we (The Germans) FORGOT TO USE OUR STUKAS! I can think of at least one AFV target up north I would of liked to take a run at with a couple of bomb runs. GRRRR!

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can think of at least one AFV target up north I would of liked to take a run at with a couple of bomb runs. GRRRR!
T-34? What T-34? There's no T-34 up North! That's just your imagination from drinking too much captured Russian vodka. :)

Oh, and did I mention I busted my radio so I could not call down harrassing fire on MikeP's horde? At least MikeP drew his 2nd red card to cancel his 80mm OBA too. :)

M

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi folks,

We managed to crank out a couple of turns last night so here is a long awaited update. As usual, I am using my notes which focus on the North part of the battle. Hopefully Jim can fill in details on the South and provide the hard numbers.

It's turn G4. MikeP consolidates his hold on Pavlov's House by moving some more guys. The remaining Russian squads nearby are pissed, but there is not much they can do about it. A 10-0 and 4-5-8 in the basement are really bummed and wished they bugged out rather than run in to the cellar.

He also squeezes some more guys along the North board edge. I manage to break a few with some lucky shots but I don't have a lot to prevent him from moving through except my T-34 in a building. MikeP is now thinking: Stuka?

In the middle, the German horde continues to advance slowly. The biggest fighting is in building Q10 which still has a 76L in it and some NKVD and 6-2-8 squads.

In R4 the T34 in U3 breaks another squad adding to the pile of busted German units. But I cannot get at them! Also in prep I reveal a pillbox in U11 which goes on a minor ROF tear but doesn't get any decent results. The highlight is a 6-2-8 NKVD unit breaking the 8-3-8 with the FT. Phew!

During my movement I pretty much just skulk. I do start to pull out of the Q10 building (more later). Snipers have been pretty active this game and during my movement 2 x 1 rolls manage to break both crews of MikePs 75* INF guns. Doesn't really matter too much as they accomplished their jobs.

In DFF MikeP attempts to bomb the T-34 in U3 but alas, it doesn't happen. :)

We managed to squeeze out G5 and MikeP keeps on moving up. During DFF I detonate a Set DC in Q10. By this point my crew was dead and I had no good guys in the building. But MikeP didn't have anyone in there either. But the guy holding the detonator was about to get overrun and I wanted to destroy the gun and hope for falling rubble. Well, gun was destroyed but no falling rubble. :( The now broken 10-0 and half-squad in the Pavlov's house basement die due to failure to route. :(

Well, that's a quick wrap up. Hopefully Jim can post some more stuff too.

M

PZchala

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some key events I can think of off the top of my head...

The Germans have generated three hero's this day. Two in the north are facing the hmg PB that had the fruitless ROF spree. (It yielded a lot more anxiety than results, getting only two pins for it's efforts). I'm not certain if the southern hero is still alive...maybe Dr Death can chime in on that.

We haven't got much out of the Stuka's, but have been getting a lot of them. Three more patrol the sky over Stalingrad at this 4.5 turn point, and as Jim said thursday night, eventually they are going to have an impact.

One of the Stuka attacks for T4 was vs a 9-1/squad stack trying to cross a street in the south. The MG's hero'd the 9-1 (and besrked the squad if I remember right, Jim?), but the bomb did get a kill.

The other two took a run at the AFV in a building that has become the cornerstone of the Russian north defense. One failed sighting TC and a near miss with ne was the result there.

The Germans are having some success in the north, with Pavlov's house taken, and the left board edge getting rolled up some to Q1, but the Russian defense on the right is strong.

Eagle02

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The south has gone much better for the Russians than the north. Dr. D's Germans have thin companies. All the AFVs in the south have malf'd MAs (one StuG left headed to the rear on recall in G5). The 100+mm OBA drew a second red chit during R3. An infantry gun platoon took up battering ram positions across the street (or in the street in the case of the 150*) from the Univermag but the the attack fell apart. A HS managed to get into the Univermag during turn 3 or 4 which I battle hardened and created a hero out of. I eventually encircled and broke the HS (died for FTR) and last night in R5 a script jumped the hero and killed him.

Dr. D also pushed a platoon across the Square of Fallen Heroes during turns 3 and 4 eventually getting a concealed 4-6-7 into U44. 2x5-4-8s were still in the square and the combination of shots from the southern side and northern side eventually broke their concealment in turn 4. In R5 I planned on hammering them until they evaporated and that's exactly what happened, low TEM and good dice.

The fate of the 4-6-7 in U44 is pretty interesting. Dr. D goes for a stuka in R5 to re-attack the infatry in the street in T45 and T46 (in R4 he BH's a 4-5-8 to fanactic on MGs and killed em' w/the bomb and wounded the heroic 9-2)and rolls 6,6 on the sighting TC. Nearest unit is U44. MGs and bomb point attacks are NE. The key here is the automatic pin on all infantry in hex. He's pinned and concealed in a fortified hex but the pin gives me the window to jump in the hex with a concealed 4-4-7. I get bush, HtH. Done. Infiltration eliminated. Thanks von Richtofen!

I was holding onto my 80+ mm OBA pre-reg'd on P36 but once the infantry gun platoon revealed themselves I brought it down and have gotten 2 missions so far. I adjusted it to P39 during R5. The results haven't been spectacular but they've gotten some pin results and added +1 to German shots from P40 and P39 across the square.

More towards the center I tried making a move back west towards ~T38 in R5 but got slapped back (broke an NKVD) bya shot from P39.1 out of the OBA FFE. Other stack were dummies. I let them stay in the street where they soaked up a mortar hit in G6.

A bit further north the action picked up considerably. During turns 3 and 4 his advance east got stuck on HIP KVs in V27 and T30 so their effort has gradually shifted further north (now it feels like the 27 hex row road). Dr. D advanced a concealed unit into U29 in G5. I planned to hammer these guys until they died with about 4-5 shots. They all choked so I had to re-target the .50 in W31 to do the job. They reveal an 8-3-8/FT. Yikes! The KV in T30 changes CA and takes an ATT shot - whiff! At this point I figure it's time to pull out all of the stops. I IF the MA, Infantry target type and hit. IIRC it's 2MC. Passes. In AF the FT breaks the 4-5-8 in V29, the 8FP +3 shot CRs them, they rout back.

I have pics of the positions as of the end of G6 - I'll throw something together later. This scenario has been particularly bloody. The Russian and German SAN was pinging all over the place again last night. It eventually took out the heroic 9-2 and broke a squad in O47 who FTR'd (just 2 examples of the mayhem it caused in the south last night).

Here's the casualty count so far:
German: 3x8-3-8/7x5-4-8/1x2-4-8/13.5x4-6-7/1.5x4-4-7/9-2/2x9-1/7-0/2xcrew
Russian: 2.5xNKVD/4x6-2-8/8.5x4-5-8/3x4-4-7/7x4-2-6/10-0/9-0/9-2/T-34/2x76L/1x82*/3xcrew/1x1-2-7

We pick up at R6 next week. End of CG day would be nice. Unbelieveably, the German scrum pushed through to take the entire northern board edge by G6. The stuka taking out the T-34 was critical to this b/c otherwise, the only other way they could've taken it out was CC. Looks like there are 2 German squads trying to get a swim in the Volga. But, I'l let Mike tell that sordid tale...

Eagle02

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some key events I can think of off the top of my head...

We haven't got much out of the Stuka's, but have been getting a lot of them. Three more patrol the sky over Stalingrad at this 4.5 turn point, and as Jim said thursday night, eventually they are going to have an impact.
Both positive and negative! From a tactics perspective, our AFVs would be toast if they were moving in the open due to Stukas. Keeping them stationary in a building or rubble is a big help. You get the +3 mod to the sighting TC (this typically nets out to +1 overall once you factor in +1 for the Germans trying to attack within 4 hexes, the target being vehicular -1, and the target not being entirely concealed -2). If the stuka passes the sighting TC more often than not the hit is just a near miss (esp since the tank gets the TEM +3 on the TH roll, 7 is the #), so TK# on a near miss is 8 +1 rear target facing=FTK#9. Factor in Aerial AF (11, best AF becomes a 4) so the Germans need a 4 or less to kill, 5 to immob or shock. That requires good dice.

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Doncha also get the C7.2B Aerial Elevation advantage of +1 to the TK number? If so than it become fives and sixes for effects. Still gotta roll well.

PZchala

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Doncha also get the C7.2B Aerial Elevation advantage of +1 to the TK number? If so than it become fives and sixes for effects. Still gotta roll well.

Good catch, and that is how we have been playing it. Eagle04 is remiss in his post.

And we did bag the nasty northen T-34 linch-pin! HA!

Last edited:

Eagle02

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The only "re-miss" I care about is that you continue rolling high enough to miss with the Stukas. I do recall you declaring that mod on the TK DR. In trying to get this stuff posted I do gloss over a detail now and then. As long as we play it correctly, right?

Have fun at McCartney tonight! :cool:

PZchala

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And I was remiss in calling you Eagle04. How risible!

Seriously, excellent post and pictures!

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for posting the pics, Jim. :)

Here is my report from the other night.

In R5 I managed to rally a bunch of guys near the Pavlov house complex so they will just end up skulking as best they can. In Prep my 76* in W15 KIAs a fanatic 2-4-8 but the rest of prep is ineffective.

Movement phase is an exercise in skulking.

In DF MikeP finally gets the T-34 with a Stuka, but the crew survives! The highlight was the mistaken attack down South. Pretty nice to watch after seeing the linchpin of the North border defense just get smoked. :)

CC sees a little fun for me where a 4-2-6 'script ambushes a 4-6-7 for the kill. Heh heh.

G6: 2 more Stukas on the map and I don't rally a whole lot this time. During Prep, one of MikeP's deathstars does an ROF dance on a 4-2-6 in T15 to wipe it out. In the Movement phase, MikeP runs up the board edge and reaches the Volga. But it's a nude beach so the German's are chased away. (only kidding). :)

Nothing big in DF and MikeP consolidates more territory during AP.

CC sees a bunch of action.
U3: a 4-5-8 is reduced.
U4: a 2-3-7 dies
T6: a 4-5-8 dies
T16: my 4-2-6 'script reduces a 4-6-7

Obviously the end of scenario roll did not come up in turn 5. Praying it does in Turn 6. :)

A couple of thoughts. High SAN is good (for the side that has it). So far, booby traps have been disappointing.

thanks,
mikeS

janusz.maxe

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Interesting. Is the statebank or waterworks in any danger of getting overrun?
If there is any major penetration done, then Soviet reserves will be very ineffective the following day, since even an isolated HS can stop them from setting up within 6 hexes.
How are the losses so far?
Janusz

Eagle02

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The State Bank and Water works look solid. The furthest German squad is in BB1. Pzchala has his beachfront villa now.

Here's the casualty count so far:
German: 3x8-3-8/7x5-4-8/1x2-4-8/13.5x4-6-7/1.5x4-4-7/9-2/2x9-1/7-0/2xcrew
Russian: 2.5xNKVD/4x6-2-8/8.5x4-5-8/3x4-4-7/7x4-2-6/10-0/9-0/9-2/T-34/2x76L/1x82*/3xcrew/1x1-2-7

So 25.5 German squads lost to 25 Russian squads lost. I like the toll we're finally taking of the Stoss and engineer platoons.

The longer this day goes the more dangerous the land loss gets for us Russians in the north and for the Germans in the south. There is not much left holding me back from pushing Dr. Death back. Given the high German infantry casualties defending a large perimeter for 15N could be a problem too.

Eagle02

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I take a picture, paste it into ppt, and work on adding arrows, comments, etc... My ppt skills are pretty good after a year in Iraq doing this kind of stuff w/satellite imagery and other pics. Once I have it the way I want I take a screenshot with SnagIt and save it as a jpg so it is small enough to be posted. That's all there is to it:D