VotG and RB SASL

Eduardoh

Reaction score
Country
llBrazil
Hi guys,

Since my main (almost only) ASL playing time is SASL, and I like my historical maps too much to leave them unused, I ask you guys:

-I read sometime ago that there was a SASL CG rules for Votg, where can I find it?
-Is there something like it for Red Barricades?
-And for Pegasus Bridge? :)

Don´t even need to be campaigns, just some rules to use those maps instead of geomorphic ones would be good too.

Thanks a lot,
Eduardo

Paullus

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hi Eduardo,

VotG and RB rules are in the finishing stages of playtest. For Pegasus Bridge there was a Mission on the old The Boardgamer magazine. I actually started to develop rules that would better fit SASL Pegasus Bridge last year but they need more work before they are done.
;)

Binko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How will the new VotG and RB SASL material be distributed or made available?

Paullus

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The new VotG and RB material will be distributet and made available by MMP. How they will do it I don't know. I don't think they have decided yet.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There was an SASL campaign being run from here. It seems to have ground to a halt unfortunately.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has the play testing been completed for either SASL RB or VotG? If so, were any major changes made to Tom Morin's 2nd version of VotG?

Paullus

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The GSASL Stalingard campaign had to halt due to Hans lack of time. We'll see if we can bring it back into active status or start a new campaign.

The playtesting has been good and several changes has been made since the second version. The Missions for VotG are all done and the CG rules are in the finishing stages to follow up on changes made during the final testing of the Missions. It looks good but there need to be some revisions but Toms intent is to wrap this up ASAP. Shortly after the VotG rules are done the RB rules will also be done. We are very nearly there :).

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The GSASL Stalingard campaign had to halt due to Hans lack of time. We'll see if we can bring it back into active status or start a new campaign.

The playtesting has been good and several changes has been made since the second version. The Missions for VotG are all done and the CG rules are in the finishing stages to follow up on changes made during the final testing of the Missions. It looks good but there need to be some revisions but Toms intent is to wrap this up ASAP. Shortly after the VotG rules are done the RB rules will also be done. We are very nearly there :).
Man that is great news! I can see a large ASL Annual dedicated to SASL with some new scenarios in the future...

Binko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Man that is great news! I can see a large ASL Annual dedicated to SASL with some new scenarios in the future...
Let's be optimistic and imagine that the ASL Journal with all the new RB and VotG SASL material will coincide with a newly printed SASL version 3.

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
Let's be optimistic and imagine that the ASL Journal with all the new RB and VotG SASL material will coincide with a newly printed SASL version 3.
There's a difference between "optimism" and "drug-induced hallucination" ;)

jameycribbs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The new VotG and RB material will be distributet and made available by MMP. How they will do it I don't know. I don't think they have decided yet.
This is probably the most frustrating part about the inability to purchase SASL for a newer player like myself. The fact that MMP (and even some TPP) are still supporting SASL by publishing new scenarios, articles, and even campaign games, but you can't even buy the damned module!

And before someone says, just buy it on Ebay, that will not fly. I followed a copy of SASL v2 on Ebay last week and I think it finally sold for something like $190! If I were to pay that much for it, I would definitely need Solitaire ASL, because my wife would divorce my a**. :)

Binko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is probably the most frustrating part about the inability to purchase SASL for a newer player like myself. The fact that MMP (and even some TPP) are still supporting SASL by publishing new scenarios, articles, and even campaign games, but you can't even buy the damned module!
Like Count Zero said above, any hope that MMP will reprint SASL is little more than a drug induced hallucination. So, I agree, it's very frustrating that SASL is long out of print and will probably never be reprinted.

But, if you are able to "borrow" the written material from SASL (the rules, generation sheets and charts) it's quite easy to play without the official counters. Just substitute some other counters that make sense. I use the massive pile of control counters from VotG for Suspect Counters, illumination round counters for Panic counters and so forth. You can even use counters from some other game.

I wouldn't normally suggest that anybody "borrow" rules and charts. But I personally believe that it is justified in a case like this when the originals are permanently out of print.

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I fell for you guys who haven't been able to get a copy SASL. That really sucks. I like it, but I would like to see more CG in different theaters of war (not just Stalingrad). That is my wish. Thanks.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Rather than make a new thread I'll necro this ten year old one...

Is there any more word on the RB SASL component discussed here by Paullus et al?

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Do you mean new (2020/2021) RB SASL rules?

Or are you referring to older rules (Journal 1)?

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Indeed, looks like he also submitted a Blood Reef: Tarawa SASL adaptation as well.

Steve Smith

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Over on the SASL Players Facebook group, Jörgen Holmquist has posted his updated version of the RB SASL rules, as well as those for BRT (if you search on his name in the group, you can find the .zip files for download). I'm in the middle of an RB CG and the rules are very well done IMO. I've not yet attempted the BRT campaign, but looks great and is on my list to give it a go. I'll let Jörgen speak to Pegasus Bridge, but I believe this is still in the works. Hope this helps...