VotG#4 "The last fifteen"

Tysken

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hej,
while attending Supporting Fire in November last year I met Eero, an old ASL buddy, I had not seen for something like 17 years. It felt like yesterday that we had seen each other last time. We agreed on keeping in touch and started playing via VASL & Skype. First scenario out was VotG#4 "The last fifteen". I had played this scenario some years ago, but unfortunately the game never concluded at that time. We came halfway and the Russians were giving the Germans a run, indicating the status of the present ROAR reporting. Nevertheless, I wanted to try it again since it is quite nice and I think I play night too little.

In the initial phase of the game the Russians swept the Germans outside the State Bank away like dry leaves (similar to my previous experience). Cleaning everything up in order to make the move taking the cellar locations. The Inf gun was positioned on the east side of the State Bank, providing excellent smoke screens for the Russian attackers. The Russians forced their way into the State Bank and into the cellar locations. They had taken all multi hex building outside the State Bank but except for the Water Works, being a Russian strong point for the attack on the State Bank on the ground level a HIP HS was hiding on level 2. Well, in the State Bank the 10-2 went berserk and took the accompanying squad with him outside the Bank hunting for Russians. The CC went on for two phases and was resolved in the 3rd one by the Russians being eliminated. Thus, the 10-2 and a 468 were fixed placed between the Brewery and the Bank. A solid speed bump. I think they took out several MMC's in several CC's. Inside the State Bank on ground level the 8-0 ambushed a Russian squad, but failed to eliminate them in HtH-CC, he needed an eight for CR and a 7 for elimination - Eero & I concluded when do you have such good odds on a SMC in CC???? This CC was resolved in the next CC phase in favor for the Russians, still the odds for the 8-0 were still pretty high, CR on 7 and elimination of the squad on 6 .....
In the end it came down to a good old shoot-out, because the German defenders had left the State Bank and positioned them in the small adjacent building on the west of the State Bank (BB20). From there they had massive FP 3x 467/LMG, 9-1 into the State Bank, despite the smoke screen layed by the Inf gun - they shot the Russian intruders into pieces and moved back into the Bank. Flushing out the Russians. In the end the Russians had not enough momentum to keep the pressure on the Germans.

Summarizing, the fight went in waves back and forth, initial and mid-term the Russians were dominating, but lost eventually momentum to hold on to the gained ground and lost it in the last German turn. This scenario could have gone easily either way, because it was just a matter of passing NMC, 1MC that made the difference. Nothing fancy - but a lot of good gaming. The older I become, the more I like the "chrome" that ASL is able to provide and in this scenario it is not difficult to "stray into the night".

Now we are planing on playing MP12 "A worthy adversary", before getting into KGS.

//Andreas