VOTG 15 Under Murderous Fire

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played a VOTG last night, UNDER MURDEROUS FIRE.

Ok, so you have a force down the one flank, and a second down the other with a few pillow biters coming down the center, right?

The right flank by the S6 bldg, they grab some of the VC hexes, then get stymied by 4 and 6 shots. They aren't dying, but they are breaking, with Sgt. Pavlov rallying them...

The left flank force, well, he placed BOTH minefields in my face and well, they started with 3 squads, but then were down to just 1.

So...the center force takes its one surviving squad and charges DOWN THE CENTER to the MILCH HAUS ie the 5 VP bldg. Eats MC1, laughs, MC, laughs, MC1, laughs, then a MC2...and HOBs! This adjacent to the Milch Haus bldg! By this time, Ben Richardson is NOT laughing but is literally aghast! I HAD announced to him prior to this that I had lost but was playing out the string b/c hey, we only get to play once a month. He agreed...but suddenly, I have a 458 adjacent to the 5VP bldg, and he only has a ? 248 in the hex.

Ok, it's fortified, but that's not enough to keep a full squad out ie a HS can't hold a fortified bldg. So, I advance in. Ambush--we both throw pillows at each other ie 6s no ambush. He DECLINES melee, and I....throw a 10. So, NE.

His turn. Reinforcements in the guise of a 447 arrive. So...he chooses to stay ? with the HS and attack HtoH with his 447 only...NE. I do a HtoH back at the 447 only...killing him.

FINE....my turn 6 (did I mention that the game was nearly over?) He and I are both almost out of troops. I have 5 other VP locations, with squads in 2 of them. So, they're staying put. So....I double time a 328 engineer adjacent to the Milch Haus. He skanks him with a what is now apparent LOS...and breaks him. Fine, I get Sgt Pavlov and a 458 and a 7-0 into the melee in the Milch Haus. NO ambush, NE for me....

His FINAL turn. He HAS to get someone to reinforce and either kill me or continue the stalemate in the Milch Haus. All he can manage is a 127 and 7-0 SMC. Everyone else dies, breaks or pins getting there.

No ambush. Again. Time to lose his ?...he HtoH and rolls a NE (odds were 3-10 ie 1 to 4. He rolled a 7) I fire back and roll a 5, killing his troops, and getting 10 VPs of the 7 I needed.

I should NOT have won this, but my on command SNAKES and HOB into a 458 turned the battle.

His reinforcements could have been better used, which was his one major mistake. He used them to try to retake some of the VP hexes (this is before the one way charge to glory and HOB happiness that I took). Instead, they ate a DC, got surrounded, and captured (I now try to take POWs whenever possible-lost a scenario at the ASL Open this past year b/c I did NOT take POWs....not that I'm paranoid.)

You've GOT to be careful in this scenario as both players. There is NOT a lot of room for error, and certainly not for moving in stacks. I'm now 2-6 this year vs. Ben.

Mark DV
Ada, MI

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Pillow Biters is a term reserved only for the 7th SS! :angry:

Good AAR btw. :thumup:

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pillow Biters is a term reserved only for the 7th SS! :angry:

Good AAR btw. :thumup:

The addendum to that is if their COs name is Jeff DeYoung.

Mark DV
Ada, MI

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The addendum to that is if their COs name is Jeff DeYoung.

Mark DV
Ada, MI
That's a given. :D

Of course I thought he only played scenarios with his precious 7th SS. :cool:

CraigBenn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Instead, they ate a DC, got surrounded, and captured (I now try to take POWs whenever possible-lost a scenario at the ASL Open this past year b/c I did NOT take POWs....not that I'm paranoid.)

Mark DV
Ada, MI
I thought no quarter was in effect (VOTG13) for both sides?

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok, it's fortified, but that's not enough to keep a full squad out ie a HS can't hold a fortified bldg. So, I advance in. Ambush--we both throw pillows at each other ie 6s no ambush. He DECLINES melee, and I....throw a 10. So, NE.

His turn. Reinforcements in the guise of a 447 arrive. So...he chooses to stay ? with the HS and attack HtoH with his 447 only...NE. I do a HtoH back at the 447 only...killing him.

FINE....my turn 6 (did I mention that the game was nearly over?) He and I are both almost out of troops. I have 5 other VP locations, with squads in 2 of them. So, they're staying put. So....I double time a 328 engineer adjacent to the Milch Haus. He skanks him with a what is now apparent LOS...and breaks him. Fine, I get Sgt Pavlov and a 458 and a 7-0 into the melee in the Milch Haus. NO ambush, NE for me....

His FINAL turn. He HAS to get someone to reinforce and either kill me or continue the stalemate in the Milch Haus. All he can manage is a 127 and 7-0 SMC. Everyone else dies, breaks or pins getting there.

No ambush. Again. Time to lose his ?...he HtoH and rolls a NE (odds were 3-10 ie 1 to 4. He rolled a 7) I fire back and roll a 5, killing his troops, and getting 10 VPs of the 7 I needed.

No rule book handy - but I did not think ambush could get rolled again if just reinforcing an existing melee :crosseye:

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No rule book handy - but I did not think ambush could get rolled again if just reinforcing an existing melee :crosseye:
By his staying CONCEALED with the HS he kept us in CC NOT Melee...otherwise Fred you'd be correct.

Mark DV
Ada, MI