Volga 3 & 4 , three years, Money Grab?

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
South of the Barrikady down past the grain elevator and the gorge. Here is a not so good picture...and please ignore the shadow that some of my models cast on it at the top
Is there another map that joins the north edge (top of picture) to the south edge of VotG?

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
No...I didn't get Volga 5 and 6. I figured that I would never have enough room to lay all 6 modules out together...and I have not played a CG, I stick mostly to scenarios. I got them to play scenarios south of the main factories, particularly the Grain Elevator. I went and saw it when I was in Volgograd a few years ago..well before the invasion of Ukraine. I also visited the outside of the Tractor Factory, the Barrikady and the Red October plants, Gumrak airfield and the department store that was 6th Armee HQ.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
Is there another map that joins the north edge (top of picture) to the south edge of VotG?
By hex sizes I don't think they are compatible. Here is the RT planning of his version of Stalingrad:
8= Terrain north of Tractor Factory
1= The Tractor Factory itself
5= Minusinsk (i.e. Brick Factory et al.)
6= Barrikady
7= Krasny Oktiabr
2= Mamayev Kurgan
9= The Tennis Racket
11= Stalingrad west of Station nº 1
10= Station nº 1
3 and 4= Stalingrad Süd (Grain elevator, Station nº2 et al.)
In green, published, in red, projected.

Last edited:

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
By hex sizes I don't think they are compatible. Here is the RT planning of his version of Stalingrad:
6= Barrikady
7= Krasny Oktiabr
2= Mamayev Kurgan
9= The Tennis Racket
10= Station nº 1
View attachment 23943
Any idea what the map source is? I haven't seen that one in all my searches through the years. Certainly not amount of detail on Mamayev Kurgan.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
6= Barrikady
7= Krasny Oktiabr
2= Mamayev Kurgan
9= The Tennis Racket
10= Station nº 1
View attachment 23943
That is very helpful thanks.

goatleaf

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Superb, thanks - now why on earth can't CH do this. Perhaps they hope we will buy the whole lot blind just to find out what order they go in.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
Superb, thanks - now why on earth can't CH do this. Perhaps they hope we will buy the whole lot blind just to find out what order they go in.
In fact the image is from a Friday Emailer from CH. But yes, it's a little bit confusing if you only have the individual references of the products.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
Any idea what the map source is? I haven't seen that one in all my searches through the years. Certainly not amount of detail on Mamayev Kurgan.
Even though the backside of the covers show aerial photos (by the Luftwaffe, most probably), in the RT emailers sometimes have shown tactical maps.
Which leads to several conclusions. First, and this is from CH mails promoting the Volga series, the buildings have been "re-aligned" to fit inside the hex grid, not a hex grid overimposed to an art representation of Stalingrad. So, distances between buildings and streets have been rectified. So, this is not Stalingrad, only an ASL approach to Stalingrad.
Second, if tactical maps have been used, this will not be a still photo of Stalingrad at one given moment. Probably, we'll get an image (enormous, BTW) of Stalingrad "in toto", but with, for instance, Stalingrad süd before the assault of the Wehrmacht and the Factories district having been attacked. It is to say, we'll get a Stalingrad map, but one composed of the city at different moments of the battle.
You may like it or not but, after all, ASL is an abstraction of tactical combat.
Even with the extreme caution I have about CH products, I'm curious about this one.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Even though the backside of the covers show aerial photos (by the Luftwaffe, most probably), in the RT emailers sometimes have shown tactical maps.
Which leads to several conclusions. First, and this is from CH mails promoting the Volga series, the buildings have been "re-aligned" to fit inside the hex grid, not a hex grid overimposed to an art representation of Stalingrad. So, distances between buildings and streets have been rectified. So, this is not Stalingrad, only an ASL approach to Stalingrad.
Second, if tactical maps have been used, this will not be a still photo of Stalingrad at one given moment. Probably, we'll get an image (enormous, BTW) of Stalingrad "in toto", but with, for instance, Stalingrad süd before the assault of the Wehrmacht and the Factories district having been attacked. It is to say, we'll get a Stalingrad map, but one composed of the city at different moments of the battle.
You may like it or not but, after all, ASL is an abstraction of tactical combat.
Even with the extreme caution I have about CH products, I'm curious about this one.
I think you misunderstand my question. The image you posted with the numbered map areas shows a map of Stalingrad that I haven't seen before. I'd like to find that map, to add to the resources I already have. I have many 'luftbilds' of the city, and other street maps, including "Stadtplan von Stalingrad". I'm always looking for more takes on the layout of the city.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
I think you misunderstand my question. The image you posted with the numbered map areas shows a map of Stalingrad that I haven't seen before. I'd like to find that map, to add to the resources I already have. I have many 'luftbilds' of the city, and other street maps, including "Stadtplan von Stalingrad". I'm always looking for more takes on the layout of the city.
It's not one map. If you zoom in the image you can see circles scribbled marking the troops positions. My idea is that the image I posted is a "master" composed of various german or russian tactical maps put together to give the map artist the idea of what he has to cover in the different modules. Which source? No idea, although "Stalingrad Battle Atlas" by Joly it's an unvaluable source for documents.

Last edited:

criticalhit

Reaction score
THE PHOTO THAT YOU POSTED IS FROM HIS FRIDAY EMAILER SO HE KNOWS VERY WELL WHAT THE ORDER OF THE MAPS IS. YOU GUYS GOT ME SO PUMPED WITH THIS THREAD THAT LAST NIGHT THAT I PURCHASED MAPS 6, 3 AND 4 30 PCT OFF OF COURSE AND PURCHASED MAPS "TO THE VOLGA" 1 AND 2 ON EBAY. SO I HAVE ALL OF THEM

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
THE PHOTO THAT YOU POSTED IS FROM HIS FRIDAY EMAILER SO HE KNOWS VERY WELL WHAT THE ORDER OF THE MAPS IS. YOU GUYS GOT ME SO PUMPED WITH THIS THREAD THAT LAST NIGHT THAT I PURCHASED MAPS 6, 3 AND 4 30 PCT OFF OF COURSE AND PURCHASED MAPS "TO THE VOLGA" 1 AND 2 ON EBAY. SO I HAVE ALL OF THEM
Two things: First: It was me who posted the image, and I have stated that was from the Friday Emailer.
Second: Please, STOP SHOUTING!

tmanmerlin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ok Ray Nobody pumps the 30%