Vol3 New Quest info

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
New Vol 3 Quest Information from the developers.

http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/devdiaries/1089-update-2-volume-iii-book-3-quest-notes-developer-diary

Some of the new ideas and quest-lines sound exciting & fun. Filling the vacuum in the north caused by the Rangers heading south with "evil" seems reasonable.

The new Instance Cluster, ‘In Their Absence,’ sounds like a good one but, being able to do the stories within the arc in any order you please kind of kills the whole point of doing a story arc in the first place.

I like the direction they are taking the Epic Story-line however, the Inspired Greatness they are shoving into all of them (again) just never works, the quests are never as exciting or as interesting - oh for the days of SoA.

But, ANOTHER "Session" play? :(

{I just hope this is a "watching" type and not a "participation" type.}

I find "participation" Session plays to be rather stupid in concept. In Session Plays you're supposed to be reliving (participating in) an event from history, so just what the heck does it matter if "I" fail it or successfully fulfill the historical "event" or not and why should I? It's already a done deal.
{Well at least according to Tolkien...}

Take the 2nd Moria Session Play:
If I sit my butt down & get overrun by Orcs and die I fail, instead of fighting for my life then running to fight TO my death (by killing "X" number of Orcs and being the last survivor but still dying) is that going to change the fact the Balin & every other Dwarf got whacked in Moria? No, so why do I have to successfully struggle to complete it just to "die" to get past it? When I could just watch it and see what happened.

Now, I really like Turbines idea of going back in history and seeing the important events take place. But why do I have to participate in and "successfully" complete (based on the historical outcome win/lose live/die) an already unchangeable historical event?

You play an ranger in one, he's "currently alive" so, what happens if I die as him redoing the historical event? Nothing, same as if I live doing the event (just keep redoing it till you survive). The only difference is my character can't advance in that quest line which has already happened. So I should just watch the events unfold!

I liked the First Moria Session Play (basically a watching type) where you discover & unleash the Balrog in Moria. I played a dwarf, saw the great event, ran for my life - cool! That type of Session play I enjoyed: I wasn't trying to change history which couldn't be changed anyway; I just saw & fled for my life. (With my next alt I'll just sit down instead of running and see what the heck the Balrog does to me!)
Although you do have to kill a few worthless insects before freeing the Balrog which was pointless- they just stand there. But if you don't kill them you can't advance the story!!
:angry:

Instead of participating how about it Turbine if you just give us some cool Middle Earh cut-scene to watch the events unfold. :)