Voice in VASL/VASSAL

styrk

The open minded on
Reaction score
Country
llNorway
In early days of Vasl text/chat was bin done all the time. world has moved on and Voice have become a great way to speed things up. But there is some thing that have bin lost in this shift. watching good players is a good school learning both rules and new tactic's. Getting in on a game is and ask for licensing in on play is not something most do. Adding support for voice cant be a huge task. I seen java source code both server and client side for voice connection. players will have option stay priv , listen or fully included. In tournaments this will be useful. How things looks now this type of add on is likely to make more people using VASL and play in Vasl

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Honestly, there are so many parallel ways to chat (and group chat) these days, I can't really see a benefit of building it into VASL. Feels like a problem someone has already solved. Am I missing something?

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
How things looks now this type of add on is likely to make more people using VASL and play in Vasl
And your actual evidence for this statement is ...?

Anyone who can install VASL on their computer is equally capable of installing Skype or any of the other equivalent apps of their preference. Any of these software programs can support group chats, so if you see a couple of friends playing VASL you can ask to join their conversation.

What you seem to be asking for is a way of joining in a group conversation without the express permission of the other participants (similar to the way VASL lets anyone just sync up to a game if the room isn't locked). Personally, if such a "feature" were to be added to VASL, I would continue using Skype precisely because I don't want strangers joining in my conversation whenever they like.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
In early days of Vasl text/chat was bin done all the time. world has moved on and Voice have become a great way to speed things up. But there is some thing that have bin lost in this shift. watching good players is a good school learning both rules and new tactic's. Getting in on a game is and ask for licensing in on play is not something most do. Adding support for voice cant be a huge task. I seen java source code both server and client side for voice connection. players will have option stay priv , listen or fully included. In tournaments this will be useful. How things looks now this type of add on is likely to make more people using VASL and play in Vasl
In my experience, most VASL games are played with a parallel (but not included) voice service, such as Skype for example. Works just fine. I see no need to reinvent the wheel to make that inherent to VASSAL/VASL, especially taking into account that there are only few people around with limited time to do the actual programming for VASSAL/VASL.

von Marwitz

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The OP misses being able to follow the game in the chat window. I can understand that, but VASL will not change for that because Skype, Discord, etc. already handle the voice/video chat. The OP could ask to join the audio/video session, I suppose. I don't know just now how I would react to that.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The OP misses being able to follow the game in the chat window. I can understand that, but VASL will not change for that because Skype, Discord, etc. already handle the voice/video chat. The OP could ask to join the audio/video session, I suppose. I don't know just now how I would react to that.
Ah, ok. I didn't get that. In that case, he has something of a point.

If I know people that join my room while I am playing, I sometimes offer them to join in on Skype as well and have been offered the same.

If I do not know the players in the room, I do ask if I may join to watch the game but don't ask to join in Skype or whatever they might be using.

von Marwitz

styrk

The open minded on
Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Right We all you voice Skype, Discord covers the player communication. that not what this is about. It about allowing others to learn and watch good players. and with out access to chat or voice its not that interesting
Discord is the best it this point but then need a link info public
I see this as a steep to get aslsk players into full asl or just a good way to watch games when not playing.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Right We all you voice Skype, Discord covers the player communication. that not what this is about. It about allowing others to learn and watch good players. and with out access to chat or voice its not that interesting
Discord is the best it this point but then need a link info public
I see this as a steep to get aslsk players into full asl or just a good way to watch games when not playing.
Come on in https://discord.gg/QZQN3Mv

or you can use this to invite others https://discord.me/advancedsquadleader

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
It about allowing others to learn and watch good players. and with out access to chat or voice its not that interesting
Which part of "may I join your chat?" do you think is difficult for these "others"? No-one is suggesting that they shouldn't ask. What we are saying is that they must ask. And be prepared to accept an answer of "no".

Once when playing VASL a complete stranger asked if he could join our Skype conversation. I discussed it with my opponent and we both agreed that we weren't super comfortable with the idea so we said "no", although we had no problem with him observing the game. In response he abused us verbally, dropped the same "you're stopping me from learning the game" argument that you're attempting here, and went away. My feeling is someone that childish and petulant is not someone we would have wanted to chat with anyway.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Which part of "may I join your chat?" do you think is difficult for these "others"? No-one is suggesting that they shouldn't ask. What we are saying is that they must ask. And be prepared to accept an answer of "no".

Once when playing VASL a complete stranger asked if he could join our Skype conversation. I discussed it with my opponent and we both agreed that we weren't super comfortable with the idea so we said "no", although we had no problem with him observing the game. In response he abused us verbally, dropped the same "you're stopping me from learning the game" argument that you're attempting here, and went away. My feeling is someone that childish and petulant is not someone we would have wanted to chat with anyway.
Folks have to understand, like FtF games, VASL games aren’t entirely about playing the game itself especially for regular sessions. It’s also a time to chat and to exchange news and thoughts in the midst of playing. While I welcome all comers to watch my games (if my opponent is comfortable), I am NOT always ready to share conversations between old friends with complete strangers.

With some opponents we even use encrypted Skype or Signal for voice, so don’t take it personally.

Last edited:

styrk

The open minded on
Reaction score
Country
llNorway
I see deffenty the problem with troll. They have to get kicked out

The social side is allsowe an important factors.
part of this game is to fine and kill new friends
Let new in is actually a good test of thers behaviors
I have to be the player’s choice to look or open up

a note in room saying discord link ?

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I see deffenty the problem with troll. They have to get kicked out

The social side is allsowe an important factors.
part of this game is to fine and kill new friends
Let new in is actually a good test of thers behaviors
I have to be the player’s choice to look or open up

a note in room saying discord link ?
You need to use Google Translate before you post here. What you wrote is not easy to understand..

Last edited: