VMG Usage

RaphaelC

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hello All,

D1.81 says that a BMG may fire only at a target that lies within it's vehicle's VCA (with some exceptions).

D1.82 says that a CMG may be used only when firing through the TCA.

The OVR Flow Chart allows MG/IFE to use TPBF as BFF, even when there is no OVR.

So, what am I misunderstanding this week?

Many Thanks,

Raphael

RaphaelC

Reaction score
Country
ll
Sorry, as I understand it the rules quoted don't allow the VMG's to fire a a target in the hex the vehicle occupies, (except for OVR).

As TPBF only occurs against a target in the same location as the firing vehicle, how is this allowed as BFF (as per the OVR Flow Chart) if no OVR occurs?

They seem to contradict each other, to me at least.

Thanks,

Raphael

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sorry, as I understand it the rules quoted don't allow the VMG's to fire a a target in the hex the vehicle occupies, (except for OVR).

As TPBF only occurs against a target in the same location as the firing vehicle, how is this allowed as BFF (as per the OVR Flow Chart) if no OVR occurs?

They seem to contradict each other, to me at least.

Thanks,

Raphael
A vehicle/gun's CA includes its own hex. The only exception to this is during the opponent's MPh if a moving unit enters the vehicle/gun's hex. In that event, in order to allow defensive fire. the CA has to include the hexside across which the moving unit enters

Check out the C3.2 EX.

Last edited:

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
And of course, per A11.61, a vehicular BMG cannot be used to attack in CC although it voids a negative modifier to the opponent's attack for the vehicle "not having a manned/usable MG"

RaphaelC

Reaction score
Country
ll
Thanks All,

So essentially with regard to C3.2, Rule C2.1 is applicable, and the rules I quoted are only to clarify where any RMG can fire?

Regards,

Raphael

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
IIRC, if the AFV is immobilized, the BMG can only fire at enemy units entering its hex across the VCA (or whatever the BMG's VCA hexsides are).

RaphaelC

Reaction score
Country
ll
IIRC, if the AFV is immobilized, the BMG can only fire at enemy units entering its hex across the VCA (or whatever the BMG's VCA hexsides are).
That is correct. (D8.5)

The rule misunderstanding that caused the original question was A9.21 which says 'However, if a SW MMG/HMG in a woods/rubble/building hex fires and is entitled to another shot, it may continue to fire during that phase only inside the CA of the prior shot (which, unlike the CA of a Gun [C3.2], includes the MG’s own Location regardless of the hexside [if any] crossed by the target unit entering that Location). '

Raphael