Vista Compaability

Gary

Reaction score
Country
ll
Any news yet on when DA is likely to get a vista compatability update?

Gary

Reaction score
Country
ll
Thanks Rich, I missed that Vista information completely.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Those files don't appear to work with Vista Ultimate 64. I can't get the game to even begin the installation process. I've tried running in XP compatibility mode and I tried uploading the files from the update on the HPS site, but none of those things helped.

By the way, the update is very poorly done. For starters, the instructions say to upload three files to correct the problems with Vista. Unfortunately, there is no link to these files. The only zip file available is the one that leads to the DLL OCX Patch File, which includes 8 or so "missing" files. But the Vista fix says only to use three. Which three?

At any rate I'm not sure missing sound files are the problem as the game doesn't even try to install. As soon as the installation process begins I get a message stating it is checking for previous installations, then the entire process stops and goes back to desktop without doing anything.

P.S. This is the very first game I've had a problem with using Vista Ultimate 64. I have a huge number of games of all kinds installed, and not one has failed yet. I've found Ultimate 64 to be much more stable than any version of XP or Vista 32.

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
When the install starts & then stops again right away it is because somewhere on your machine is a file called da.exe - this could be in another folder, in a zip archive (maybe the patch?) etc. - if you find & delete or rename this file the install should process normally.

I'm waiting to hear back from Jim on his future plans for DA & will post something when I hear.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Rich,

Here's some additional info.

Jim provided me with a copy of the CGSC version of the game some time ago and hinted that he might soon release that as a public update for DA. Interestingly, the CGSC version installs and plays fine on Vista 64, but I still can't get the vanilla version to budge. I'll keep working on that and let you know what I come up with.

On an unrelated note, I noticed that all my custom DA scenarios were never posted in the downloads section here when we closed the old scenario site at WarfareHQ. After doing an extensive search I thought I had lost them all as I couldn't find anything. But I finally located them on an old laptop. I need to get the regular version of DA running so I can check these and make sure they are finished, then I will make them available for public download. They mostly deal with Operation Desert Storm and the invasion of Iraq.

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Don, do have Jim's email address? I heard from him a bit ago and he asked for you to drop him a line and he'll work with you on resolving the issues. If not drop me an email and I'll get you in touch with him again.

As far as the next iteration of the game, time is the enemy...he doesn't have much free time these days, so until he can clear his schedule things are on hold. Seems to be the bain of all wargame developers...tons of ideas, but not enough resources to implement them all...

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Unfortunately, I haven't had any contact with him for several years so I don't think I have an email address handy.