"Visit" to North West France

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
I have been trying to see how Maginot Line/Atlantic Wall style fortifications could realistically be ported over into the ASL rules. Regular pillbox rules at present are not enough.
So, I am currently researching the designs, strengths and possible weaknesses of these style forts.
The 100th Div breached the Maginot Line at the Ensemble de Bitche:
http://www.lonesentry.com/gi_stories_booklets/100thinfantry/index.html

Fighters dropped 500lb bombs, which bounced off the casemates before exploding. Eventually suppressed enough that the Engineers could utilize demolitions. Eventually they brought up bulldozers to just seal off the entrances & bury them alive in the deep levels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouvrage_Schiesseck

http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/wwii/articles/maginotline.aspx

M36 tank destroyers with their 90 mm guns and M12 self-propelled guns were used for direct fire against the casemates.[28]

The new tactics worked. The direct fire forced most of the Germans deep into Fort Schiesseck's underground chambers. With artillery shells still falling on the blocks, infantry and engineer teams rushed forward. Despite heavy small arms and machine gun fire from the blocks and nearby supporting positions, the American soldiers stormed into each block. In succession, the elevators and staircases in the blocks were destroyed with explosives, the entrances were sealed and the casemates buried by tank-dozers. To effect the destruction of Fort Schiesseck, U.S. engineers used over 5,000 pounds of explosives.[29]

44th Div:
http://www.exploguide.com/site/simserhof-maginot-fortress-bitche-moselle

Last edited:

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rock SgtDan--thanks!
The big question here is if scenarios on these actions would be fun for the ASL player.
I never played SASL but this always leaps to mind when I read these AAR's.
Same thing for Ebaen Emael.

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Ill be in Normandy for a quick visit Tuesday Wednesday next week.

Anyone need anything?

b e n

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Bring me back a MG42 if you can....and some spare barrels....
Battlefield tours wise I'd like to see Hill 112 in the British sector.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ill be in Normandy for a quick visit Tuesday Wednesday next week.

Anyone need anything?

b e n
Yeah, lost my can of sand from Omaha Beach about 40 years ago. Had put it a film canister and when I was processing out at Ft Dix, NJ from overseas, left it on my bunk for a few minutes & when I got back someone had stolen it. I can still imagine the look on the little puke's face when he opened it up and found only sand!:D

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I have been trying to see how Maginot Line/Atlantic Wall style fortifications could realistically be ported over into the ASL rules. Regular pillbox rules at present are not enough.
So, I am currently researching the designs, strengths and possible weaknesses of these style forts. They cannot be breached in the regular ASL rules fashion. So, I could use pics of the rear entrance doors and firing slits. The french called these forts "ouvrages" which just translates into "works".
If, during your travels you do get to the German/Swiss border and get to the Maginot Line area (yes, swiftandsure, I know where these are located) I could use some more pics as well. I already have some pics of some forts taken by me from last summer. i just never had enough time to do a thorough walkthrough being with the wife on vacation. Not her idea of fun.
Anything you take will help.
I have been to Pointe du Hoc, and have taken many pics from there.
Brian you are 14 years to late for this request, I lived in Basel, Switzerland for 5 years and covered the Alsace Lorraine area quite a bit and also up the Rhine valley s lot .

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow! Never knew that Ollie. That's one beautiful area! We were there last summer.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
granted mentioning CH in a positive light is akin around these parts to admitting a desire for young children haha but if you are truly interested. CH has tackled advanced fortification beyond standard trench and pillboxes and successfully done so in doing HASL for heavily fortified locations like Omaha and Sevastopol.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Bring me back a MG42 if you can....and some spare barrels....
Battlefield tours wise I'd like to see Hill 112 in the British sector.
I know somebody who may be selling a live fire one. Blanks only

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Wow! Never knew that Ollie. That's one beautiful area! We were there last summer.
Am back in Holland again and as I was driving home today I noticed that there is an open Bunker day comung up allowing access to the Miriad of ones all along the Coast from here!

Last edited:

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
After 6 months of yet again being paid to be nice to people I dont like, were going on a family holiday to a series of places that are attractive to my wife and I.

So next week I'll be going to St Quentin, Amiens, Cambrai, Dinant, Eben Emael, Goch/Kolkar, Reichswald, Siegfried Line, Eindhoven, Hells Highway, Nijmegan and Arnhem and environs.

Haven't decided the route home yet>

Anyone need anything?

b e n