Vinyl table top protectors

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am thinking about something more portable than plexiglass for laying over the HASL boards and see a 2mm thick clear vinyl product is available in multiple sizes. Has anyone used something like that? I am thinking thick enough to weigh it down, but flexible enough to roll up and not curl too much when rolled back out.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Although a bit dear, I bought a couple of these some years ago--one small, one 36" long.

They can be rolled. But because they can take some time to flatten out completely, I now store them flat.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Although a bit dear, I bought a couple of these some years ago--one small, one 36" long.

They can be rolled. But because they can take some time to flatten out completely, I now store them flat.
That looks like what I was looking for. I found a product on amazon that is probably slightly thinner (2mm vs 0.1 in) but it comes in a large number of sizes. It's intended purpose is for table top protection. It appears to be significantly cheaper as well and I could get it in some very large sizes.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If you go with this method, I'd recommend pairing the vinyl with rubber mat underlay used to line cupboards, as shown in the title page photo here.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you go with this method, I'd recommend pairing the vinyl with rubber mat underlay used to line cupboards, as shown in the title page photo here.
Yes, already have that. Very handy. I use it for other boards as well since it has a bit of grip that holds them steady.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes, already have that. Very handy. I use it for other boards as well since it has a bit of grip that holds them steady.
The underlay also helps keep the vinyl pad in place, which is why I recommend that players purchase both together. Good to hear that you already have that sussed.

Pigboy1537

Noob
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am thinking about something more portable than plexiglass for laying over the HASL boards and see a 2mm thick clear vinyl product is available in multiple sizes. Has anyone used something like that? I am thinking thick enough to weigh it down, but flexible enough to roll up and not curl too much when rolled back out.

Really a great idea. I fairly new and I spent one night scratching up a map moving counters. I found a piece of plexiglass and used that. Works pretty good but I might give this a try. Thanks for the post.