Vinnie goes to ASLOK

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
For my 50th birthday, my wife gave me a trip to ASLOK and I suppose I should detail how it went.
The fun up to the to was stressful. Due to fly out on the 30th September, Susan sent up to see her parents, about 80 miles away, and had to take her mum to hospital with a small stroke. Her Dad could not be left by himself, he is a little confused, so she was up there until things were clearer. She finally made it home in the Wednesday with her Dad in tow but we neither one when her mum was likely to get it of hospital or what we could do with her Dad as the kids would either be at school, uni or working while we were away. Thankfully, social services came through for us, arranging emergency accommodation in Elgin, where her Mum was in hospital. Thank heaven for the NHS.
Thus Saturday morning saw us cat hung a taxi to Aberdeen airport at 7am for the flight to Amsterdam
After a two hour layover there, and perhaps the worst cup of coffee on the entire trip, we caught a delta Airlines flight to Detroit. I cannot praise them enough. This was a thoroughly enjoyable flight and I can't put my finger on why. Maybe I was just excited.
Arriving in Detroit, we were through customs and with our baggage in under 10 minutes. If you have to fly into the US, I recommend this as a point of entry. We, however, had a 4 your wait for our next flight. If we'd known how close Cleveland is to Detroit ;2.5 hours drive) we might have just got a car there but hey ho.
The final four to Cleveland was interesting and we caught the bus to collect the car. There we discovered that Susan in her haste had forgotten her driving licence. Not a major problem as I had mine but a nuisance.
We reached the hotel at 10.30 local time, 3.30am according to our bodies so although we popped out heads up to the hall, I cannot tell you who we met there, it was a blur. So off to the room to get some sleep.
Now I live in Aberdeen where being warm is so much harder than being cool. I'm not used to AC. I froze that night. Thank goodness you could turn the AC off in your room.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Better indeed to avoid domestic flights and fly direct to a large airport and then drive to Ohio. It's part of the experience.

While in-flight entertainment is ageing on US companies' planes, the staff is efficient and makes the flight a decent moment (unless of course you have the middle seat).

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sunday morning saw me wake up well before 6 and rather cold (remember that AC?). We hung around until 6.30 then went looking for some breakfast.
The hotel has a diner/sports bar called "The Hub" which I did not like. Firstly, there are TVs everywhere and no atmosphere whatsoever. I fidn the overwhelming presence of TVs difficult. My eyes are attracted to them and I find myself ignoring my friends to watch the box!
Add to this, quite the worst cup of coffee and I was beginning to despair of the place. Just to add the cherry on the top, the place was, once again, freezing. What is it with places that have AC? Are they trying to show off?
That morning I had my first scheduled game against Michael Rogers who I know well from chatting on the ASL Slack channel. Michael is a pleasant even natured Canadian gentleman who was accompanied to the event by his good lady. He generously gave me several options to play and we decided on a recent Schwerpunkt offering Jerry by the Bushel. It is a scenario where the British attacker has two options to win, either capture the village or clear the hill of all German squads and infantry. To do this they have 4 shermans, including an OP tank with a preregistered hex and a couple og MG carriers (and A and B, I think). although he has good leadership, his infantry force is rather light in numbers to attack along a board and clear multi-hex stone buildings.
Michael started with his preregistered OBA bringing down a smoke concentrationthat blinded my StuG on the hill. This was not unexpected for me, indeed I had placed the StuG in a position to encourage this action, it was going to be moving anyway and I'd prefer the OBA to be laying smoke there rather than pounding the village.
His initial probes were met with accurate fire and his dice satnk to high heaven. For the first turn, I don't think he passed any MC properly while all my shots (admittedly low FP ones) were effective. The leader that broke on turn 1 was still broken come turn 3.
Michael learned the hard way that open topped SFVs are not a good means of bypassfreezing German squads unless you can swarm the defender after his carrier ended in motion to freeze a squad. the ensuing CC attack saw me get ATMM and need a 5 with a -4 to te roll. That unit burnt.
Despite getting towards the village, his forces stilll had to advance and he had channeled them into a gap that I could lay interlocking firelanes through. This limited the advance to a slow crawl. I brought the StuG down off the hill and used it to prevent an end around attack by the Shermans, forcing a direct attack on my units.
Although I risked leaving the Squads up front, when Michaels forces eventually reached mine, he committed to close combat, advancing in CX with 2 squads and a 10-2 against a squad and 8-1. His attack missed, mine wounded the 10-2. He was now looking down the barrel of me reinforcing that melee and hitting the 10-2 with a 2-1 at -2 attack and tying up about half his infantry in either broken or CC attacks. This combined with a severely restricetd timescale left him thinking that the odds were too long to continue.
Good game, played in great spirits.

The afternoon was the Barbeque, generously hosted by Dave Ginnard. Since we had a car, we offered to give David Stanaway (who has a New Zealand accent despite what he claims!) a lift over on the considertion that he told me where to go. Strange car, strange road system , strange town and the wrong side of the road is not a great combo when you're still out of sorts.
This was one of the highlights of the trip. The people were so very generous and chatty and friendly, thet made this crucially shy foreigner feel somewhat at ease.
I could not believe the space out there. Dave's house stand on a plot that to my eyes is unimagimnably huge. But then earlier on I listened to someone describing their visit to Normandy and to a Church that was tiny, no bigger than from here to that wall, and I was sitting there thinking, yes, that sounds like a standard village church...
I can't recall the names of those I chatted to at the BBQ. The pace was easy, the drink and food plentiful, the weather glorious and the theme relaxed.Dave's wife was incredibly welcoming and generous. Truly great hosts.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I froze that night. Thank goodness you could turn the AC off in your room.
Just to add the cherry on the top, the place was, once again, freezing. What is it with places that have AC? Are they trying to show off?
I come from a state where AC is prevalent in the summer, and I froze my a$$ off at the Sheraton as well. The room was frigid, but I also shut it off. The Hub was very cold, with those huge blowers right on top of nearly every seat. I asked the waitress at breakfast if there was anywhere to sit that wasn't being blown on, and she said, "No, not really." Same for dinner, it made the meal quite unenjoyable. Personally, I thought the coolness in the gaming room was asinine. I shivered in a t-shirt, and at times a long-sleeve dress shirt on top barely cut it. I noticed some holding up well in t-shirts, but many others grabbing sweaters and the like. My only guess was that it may have been so warm in there the year before, that they were responding to complaints by jacking up the AC.

I thought it so strange that it was often beautiful outside and they were ACing the entire hotel inside. I could see if it was 95 or 100 degrees outside, but I don't think the high was ever over 85 that week.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I come from a state where AC is prevalent in the summer, and I froze my a$$ off at the Sheraton as well. The room was frigid, but I also shut it off. The Hub was very cold, with those huge blowers right on top of nearly every seat. I asked the waitress at breakfast if there was anywhere to sit that wasn't being blown on, and she said, "No, not really." Same for dinner, it made the meal quite unenjoyable. Personally, I thought the coolness in the gaming room was asinine. I shivered in a t-shirt, and at times a long-sleeve dress shirt on top barely cut it. I noticed some holding up well in t-shirts, but many others grabbing sweaters and the like. My only guess was that it may have been so warm in there the year before, that they were responding to complaints by jacking up the AC.

I thought it so strange that it was often beautiful outside and they were ACing the entire hotel inside. I could see if it was 95 or 100 degrees outside, but I don't think the high was ever over 85 that week.
Dr Freeze strikes again because fat people like it cold.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The hotel has a diner/sports bar called "The Hub" which I did not like. Firstly, there are TVs everywhere and no atmosphere whatsoever. I fidn the overwhelming presence of TVs difficult. My eyes are attracted to them and I find myself ignoring my friends to watch the box!
This is standard setting in US sport bars, people like to see their favorite game without hindrances (helped by inexpensive flat screen TVs). And locals are used to AC for decades (cheap energy), hard to change deeply-rooted habits, although it is not as freezing cold as it was two decades ago (generally speaking, not for ASLOK). At ASLOK this year it was cool, but reasonably cool. Wearing a cap helps, it must be said.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
In Germany an often quoted quip is that SOP for Americans to regulate the AC is to open the windows. ;)

von Marwitz

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Monday saw me play two games but or he life of me, I can't recall what they were!
I'muhere. Played Stan at Ramsay's Charge, a game hat swung back and forth ridiculously. A couple of early good shots led him to being too cautious with his cavalry and despite failing to calculate the entry costs of a footbridge, I was able to cling on for a win.
I'mnnot sure how balanced this one is. There was not great difference in our rolls and neither of us made many mistakes by the US side had just not enough in the way of troops come the end, despite winning just about every CC for no casualties.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
So if I am reading this thread correctly, all we have to do to win back the World Cup is diddle with the AC some more. Noted. This is great news. I was almost certain that we would have to attain a higher level of play to get it back.

JR

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There is a lot to be said for that. I think the distance we have to come would make us tough it out! It wasn't that it was cold so much as it was unnecessarily cold.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I fret more about the cool air flowing during the transatlantic flight. If your neighbour opens wide his individual airflow, you may be in for some repeated coughs. Fortunately the latest vintage of airplanes removed this unwarranted degree of flexibility.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
There is a lot to be said for that. I think the distance we have to come would make us tough it out! It wasn't that it was cold so much as it was unnecessarily cold.
Well, you tropical islanders have a different sense of what is cold. I can appreciate that. It must be disorienting too not to have palm trees swaying in the breezes.

JR

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm kinda pissed about this whole freeze your ass off thing. Next time I'm asking for the manager saying "This is ridiculous. Look at my goosebumps! I'm freezing my ass off here. Your place sucks so I'm going to fricking Burger King. Tell Dr Freeze me and my friends are never coming back."

I hate all the stupid TVs to. Have a nice day.

For extremely cold places you should order your food then wait 5 minutes and leave telling the hostess at the door "I'm going to get my parka".

I guess the best option would be a little heart to heart chat with the manager. "I just want you to know that me a my friends have to leave because it's too cold in here and we are very uncomfortable. I dunno, maybe we're sissies or something. Am I out of line here? Just saying, it's probably our fault anyways so have a good night. Good talk, it's all good. Thank you very much."

Last edited:

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm kinda pissed about this whole freeze your ass off thing. Next time I'm asking for the manager saying "This is ridiculous. Look at my goosebumps! I'm freezing my ass off here. Your place sucks so I'm going to fricking Burger King. Tell Dr Freeze me and my friends are never coming back."

I hate all the stupid TVs to. Have a nice day.

For extremely cold places you should order your food then wait 5 minutes and leave telling the hostess at the door "I'm going to get my parka".

I guess the best option would be a little heart to heart chat with the manager. "I just want you to know that me a my friends have to leave because it's too cold in here and we are very uncomfortable. I dunno, maybe we're sissies or something. Am I out of line here? Just saying, it's probably our fault anyways so have a good night. Good talk, it's all good. Thank you very much."
Welcome to Stalingrad!

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think it's a cultural thing. I'm used to inside being warm and outside cold. The reverse is a very strange experience for me.
A decent 15°s is my favoured temp.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I think it's a cultural thing. I'm used to inside being warm and outside cold. The reverse is a very strange experience for me.
A decent 15°s is my favoured temp.
Your problem is that you are at 15°, which is just off the equator. You have tropical blood. If you spend a couple winters in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, that should fix that.

JR