Vietnam Total Conversion Pack Alpha

Thatguy

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey, so after conferring with various people behind the scenes, I've decided this might be the best way of actually doing this. For me this will likely be a sort of never finished project, and will always be sort of a work in progress. Therefore, I felt that I would release what I have, which is more or less functional, to see what people think and get feedback of any sort.

What you'll need:

1. The existing Vietnam Specific OOBs, the latest release of which can be found here: http://www.xtreme-gamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43306&page=3

What you'll need to do:

1. Copy the Total Conversion Pack into a seperate Custom OOB folder
2. Copy the requisite graphics, rank, name, and text files over, after backing up the defaults
3. Using the OOB manager, "install" first the Vietnam Specific Pack, and then the Vietnam Total Conversion on top of it. Technically you don't need to do this, but this pack does not include the other upgraded OOBs found in that pack.

What you get:

- More icons, including new turreted M113s, naval units provided by SGTGunn, and more

- 8 OOBs even more upgraded than those in the basic pack, including 5 "new" nations (MACV/SOG, US Navy, US Air Force, Laos and the Philippines)

- Correct Rank and Names (except names for the Philippines, this will definitly be provided soon)

What you don't get:

- Formation and unit text (decided to release without it)

- Complete reference list (I'm updating a joint reference list for both packs, if you're curious as to where I got things, just ask)

- Correct icons for every unit (I figure I've got about 70% or so correct, maybe less)

- Correct lbms (Don't do LBMs, I'm in the process of sorting out that issue with the help of various members of the community)

- Changed menu flags (I only did the one for the MACV/SOG/CIA OOB)

- VSP 4.0 (That'll likely be released soon as well, and features an upgraded S. Korean OOB)

I just hope people enjoy this work in progress. I have to agree with the people I talked to, that holding it back until it was "done" was more or less futile, and simply kept people hanging on. I'd rather give people something to play around with as I continue to work. As always, feedback is appreciated.

- Joe "Thatguy" Trevithick

Last edited:

Thatguy

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's a new Lao OOB, now with picklist. Replaces the current one. No readme file, but is currently the new standard for the next alpha release.

As always, feedback is appreciated.

Thatguy

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is a glaring error with the Philippine OOB. None of the costs were done (gross oversight on my part). I'll get a revised OOB in there as soon as I can.

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is the post dated july 22,2007 the files I would use to install the latest version of this.
Were phillipine troops in vietnam? Do I need the latest update of that to?

How does this pack compare in your opinion to the stock OOB's provided with WinSPMBT 3.5 ? Are some things left alone or is everything different?

Thatguy

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is the latest version, but with some errors. The Philippine OOB I released also has some issues heh, but I would suggest downloading that and converting it to Country 83 and using it instead. The standalone Philippine OOB will be included for Country 83 in all subsequent releases.

It has a specific picklist for actions against the VC and NVA which should make it more historically accurate if people choose to fight against it for the period of the deployment of the Philippine Civic Action Group-Vietnam (PHILCAG-V) which is 4/66-12/69.

The Lao OOB also has to be correct and that will probably include a new picklist set, that's on the major to do list.

The Total Conversion Pack is very different. The most immediately obvious change will be seen in the USA and USMC OOBs, with all USAF aircraft removed from both, and all USN aircraft removed from the USMC OOB. USAF aircraft were moved to OOB 80 (which is now the USAF) and USN aircraft to OOB 6 (which is now the USN). You'll have to use the allies tab to get to these units. What this does mean is that both are greatly expanded. The USAF OOB also has SAR units, Combat Security Police, Combat Control Teams, and other things included, and the USN OOB has a far wider array of boats plus the Sea Wolves of HA(L)-7.

All changes are included in the Readme file, with notes and explanations. Countries and what they are now are included, and I'm working on getting flags up so that this is reflected on the purchase screens and in game.

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I havent ever replaced OOB's using WinSPMBT/WW2. Is it just a matter of saving the originals and overwiting,or is there another way?

I would like to use your latest versions to make some scenerios. What files exactly would you recomend for this?

It seems like I should restrict anything I do to 1966-69 .Is this correct?

US Army US Navy, US Marines,US Air Force, South Vietnamese Army,North Vietnamese Army,Viet Cong,Philipine Army.

The list above is just to get an idea of what forces would be in the area back then historically. Would not France and China be included to?

Last edited:

Thatguy

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you are looking for scenario development involving the Philippine Army you are restricted historically from 4/66-12/69, US forces from ~1963-2/73 and ARVN until 4/75. Laos runs to 5/75.

In the other pack you'll find the rest of the updated OOBs. I'd have the check the dates on South Korea and Australia (though I think that with the Aussies you could go by the "VN" labeled formation dates). The Thai and Cambodian OOBs are just updated, and follow basically the ARVN timeline. Cambodia falls to the Khmer Rouge around the same time (by 4/75 the situation is pretty dire).

For the purposes of this pack, I would recommend backing up your graphics, text, picklist, and leader folders. Put the OOB folder into your custom OOB folder in the WinSPMBT directory and use the OOB manager in the game swap them in. The OOB manager can also be used to replace the default OOBs, so you don't have to back those up.

So basically, if you're looking to do scenarios I would install the basic Vietnam Specific OOB Pack, then this pack over it (because it replaces the ARVN OOB, and the USA and USMC OOB found in pre-V4 Vietnam Specific packs). Then go from there. If you don't plan on using Cambodia, Thailand, South Korea, or Australia, you could also probably stick to just this pack. V4.1 of the Vietnam Specific Pack can be found in this thread: http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?t=43306&page=4

Last edited:

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What if I just double installed WinSPMBT into another directory and installed your files? Seeing as how there is more replaced than just OOB's. Might be easier for me to deal with it that way,and it would enable me to still play in campaigns around here without changing anything all the time.

Doing the double install now.

Last edited:

Thatguy

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A perfectly fine way to do it as well. I appreciate the interest in making scenarios based around this pack. Don't hesitate to PM or Email me with any questions you might have.

Thatguy

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here it is, the first iteration of the complete Total Conversion (still going on the previous Total Conversion numbering).

So this time you'll need:

1. Nothing but this pack, its all in there.

What you'll need to do:

1. Copy the Total Conversion Pack into a seperate Custom OOB folder or into a duplicate install of the game
2. Copy the requisite graphics, rank, name, and text files over, after backing up the defaults (always back up the defaults)
3. Using the OOB manager copy over the OOBs (You an also just permanently install them, especially if you're using a duplicate install)

What's new:

Besides it all being together, there have been numerous additions, including,

- A total of 15 upgraded OOBs, including the newly upgraded South Korean and North Vietnamese OOB and the complete Philippine OOB.

- Even more icons thanks to the usual players, special thanks to Plasmakrab for his new AH-1 and SA-2 icons

- Some custom LBMs. Again, thanks to Plasmakrab.

- Revised and expanded picklists for all nations with the exceptions of US OOBs (wanted to release and this would've taken me longer)

- Correct Rank and Names for all nations

- Changed menu flags (Finally, for all nations, including US Navy, USAF, and others)

What you don't get:

- Formation and unit text (this always seems to lag behind)

- Complete reference list (If you want a list of the sources I used I'll be happy to provide it)

- Correct icons for every unit (but we're getting better all the time)

- Correct lbms for all units (the LBM format still creates issues)

It can be dled via Rapidshare here (Total size ~5MB): http://rapidshare.de/files/38256331/Vietnam_Total_Conversion_0.75.zip.html

Enjoy!

Thatguy

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is Alpha V 0.81, which is being released in its current form so that players will have a V4 compatible version to play with.

Instructions are the same as the last time, but in case people can be bothered to scroll up:

What you'll need:

1. Nothing but this pack, its all in there.

What you'll need to do:

1. Copy the Total Conversion Pack into a seperate Custom OOB folder or into a duplicate install of the game
2. Copy the requisite graphics, rank, name, and text files over, after backing up the defaults (always back up the defaults)
3. Using the OOB manager copy over the OOBs (You an also just permanently install them, especially if you're using a duplicate install)

What's new:

- Nothing dramatically new in this version. Small changes have been made, but the biggest is the fact that this pack is now V4 based. Previously the OOBs had more or less been based on stock OOBs somewhere between Patches V2.5 and V3. All OOBs should incorporate various stock design changes (mainly those to weapon stats), with the obvious slew of subsequent changes.

What you don't get:

- Formation and unit text (this always seems to lag behind)

- Complete reference list (If you want a list of the sources I used I'll be happy to provide it)

- Correct icons for every unit (but we're getting better all the time)

- Correct lbms for all units (the LBM format still creates issues)

- Revised picklists for every nation (this is becoming a higher priority and as soon as very OOBs fill out it should be easier to complete this)

It can be dled via Rapidshare here (Total size ~5MB): http://rapidshare.de/files/39539582/Vietnam_Total_Conversion_0.81.zip.html

Enjoy!