Votes: 3 10.7%
  • No, it's all a steaming pile of bulls#@t

Votes: 25 89.3%

• Total voters

Jim H. Moreno

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Branching this thread and thought from Doc Sinister's video game censorship post.

The argument is, as I'm sure you all know, that violence in video games played by the youth of today causes them to grow up into chainsaw-wielding Freddy Krueger-looking Satan-worshipping weapons of mass murder.

Nonsense. And to prove it, I simply have to go to the most perfect example I know of: me.

Aside from the Kreuger reference, I don't exhibit any of those actions, or any others constantly espoused by those who claim such drivel about video games.

I saw my first Bruce Lee movie at age 4, at an Army post theater at the Panama Canal Zone. It was Enter the Dragon , and I was hooked on the action instantly. I became a martial artists at age 10, and have been to this day, 24 years later. I've studied and learned at least a few thousand ways to kill people in that time.

I had all the popular console systems back in the early days of video gaming.

I bet I could by a new computer today with the quarters I fed into games at arcades during my youth.

I have played D&D for days on end, up until I was 28.

I spent 10 years in the 82nd Airborne Division, the most feared and highly-trained regular army unit in the world, where I was paid to be a professional killing machine.

Now, according to the video game naysayers, I should be Death Incarnate to everyone I meet. I should be locked away in some small padded cell, or living out my last few minutes strapped to an electric chair right now.

Video games played a role in every area and example in my life mentioned above, and in ways unmentioned. Can you believe, then, that I've never so much as had a traffic ticket? I've never been in jail, or arrested, or detained for questioning.

I'm sure you know why. Discipline, and having the common sense to know what's real and what's make believe. Matrix references aside, that is. :rolleyes:

Or maybe I just haven't been caught?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
People who blame video games for causing violence are just using it as a convenient excuse to hide the fact that they never brought their children up properly to know the difference between reality and fiction.

If it wasn't games, they'd blame the TV, if it wasn't the TV they'd blame the films, then the comics, then the books, ANYTHING other than accept responsibility themselves.

It truly is a steaming pile of whatsit. There, I've said it.

Dr. S.

Panzer Leader

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with pretty much everything sinister said:thumb:

If you are a sane well balanced person playing a violent videogame will have no affect. You already have to be pretty crazy to go out and blast someone with a chaingun after playing too much doom.

chrisvalla

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Let's see cowboys and indians, Americans and Germans/Russians/Japanese, BB guns, dart guns, airsoft, paintball, swords, sticks, D&D, GURPS, army men, miniatures, JROTC, Atari, Intellivision, Colleco-vision, C64, Apple, PC, Nintendo, PS, PS2, flight sims, 1st person shooters, RTSs, horror movies, sci-fi movies, Hitler documenaries, war footage, rifles at boy scout camp, stint as a weekend warrior, oh yeah, and owning a real steel weapon.

After all the dead bodies, exploding corpses, ruined towns, fallen countries, burned villages, worlds conquered, mosters vanquished, enemy squashed, creatures slayed, I'm actually a little surprise I haven't actually killed anyone yet (thought about it all the time... which is why I don't carry the real steel in the car during rush hour...) but never actually done it.

And yet I can't remember even having the reality vs. fantasy talk with my parents or really even getting the right vs. wrong speech... just the every action has a consequence speech.

PvtManaCoB3MD

Reaction score
Country
ll
I play D&D, and console/PC games of the same genre....at last count, after completing D&D Heroes and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance I, I've killed well over 3,000 creatures....in the real world, that's mass murder.....in the real world, I'm a college student who loves history and has never been arrested or killed anything (not even hunting, I'm an animal lover, but that's another thread)

I also noted in Dr. S's other thread about the Columbine massacre and how that I believe that those idiot kids were nuts BEFORE they bought games like Doom and such.

Minotaur

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
People who blame video games for causing violence are just using it as a convenient excuse to hide the fact that they never brought their children up properly to know the difference between reality and fiction.

If it wasn't games, they'd blame the TV, if it wasn't the TV they'd blame the films, then the comics, then the books, ANYTHING other than accept responsibility themselves.
The point is all here!... :thumb:

I'm quite sure that everybody hanging here have their share of 'virtual killing'... Paper or plastic corps, painted miniature soldiers, friends with paint splash on their heads or terrorists on a computer screen...

I'm also quite sure that everybody here are NOT timed-bomb ready to explode at any moment...

Because most of us are sane... We can see the difference between "virtual" and "real"...

As for our kids, education, explication and comparaison (between a virtual and a real situation) are good ways to prepare them for the future...

If there is something, it our insensibility to real-world violence, because we saw so much already, but that's another story...

Mephisto

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As I started reading the posts in this thread, I had decided I would post my thoughts as well. By the time I got to the last post, everything I had thought had already been said.

I think that there's another point of focus to this discussion (the other side of the coin, if you will). I had heard on the news the other day that a recent study has said that playing video games actually helps develop and hone manual dexterity skills needed to perform complicated surgeries. I don't rememeber the exact details, but it's something else to consider.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Originally posted by Mr Scribbler
As I started reading the posts in this thread, I had decided I would post my thoughts as well. By the time I got to the last post, everything I had thought had already been said.

I think that there's another point of focus to this discussion (the other side of the coin, if you will). I had heard on the news the other day that a recent study has said that playing video games actually helps develop and hone manual dexterity skills needed to perform complicated surgeries. I don't rememeber the exact details, but it's something else to consider.
I heard this too. Studies have revealed that people who play games (FPS games in particular) have a much keener eye for small detail and faster reaction times than people who do not.

How long before we are all pencilling in "Double FPS" into our school timetables, right after Geography? :laugh:

Dr. S.

Bariman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
People will blame any form of media unfairly. In the 50s, it was comic books. A psychologisty thought that comic books were destroying America's youth, so he lobbied for either their banning or sever regulation. Some comics of they day were horror/crime stories with blood and dismemberment, while others were the more 'normal' superhero type. The industry decided to self-regulate itself, kind of like the game industry does today with the ESRB. A comic wouldn't be printed without the comic board's approval, until Stan Lee decided in the 70s he had had enough and printed a 3-part Spider-Man comic that had a drug sub-plot (which the board wouldn't approve).

Most people blaming games are either misguided or are just in it for the publicity. The misguided ones really do want to help children, like that psycologist in the 50s. He saw that most juvenile criminals read comics, so he thought that was having an effect on them. The misguided ones are using false/incomplete/biased information from the publicity hounds. These guys want to control everything to their liking, so they start with videogames, which are very popular, and some are violent. (Ever notice how these guy refer to Doom and Wolfenstein 3-D, which are over a decade old?)

One of their arguments is that there should be regulation to keep children from buying M-rated games. First, the games are rated by the ESRB (they might have changed their name recently), not the govenment. The ratings are in large print right on the front of the box. Second, it is the responsibility of the parents to keep children from buying and playing inappropriate games. It is not the fault of the games industry if some parents are too lazy to pay attention to the rating of a game they are getting for their child. If they think their 13 year old is responsible enough to play an M-rated game, that is their opinion.

99.999% of gamers are completely sane people. That other 0.001% are the ones that are already mentally unbalanced, and would find some way to play out their fantasies instead of gaming.

Gamespot has a really good article on the History of Video Game Controversy:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6090892/index.html

Barber

Official Mila 18 Dork
Reaction score
The buck stops there!

Ok, here I go on a rant!

I am a high school teach in an inner city so I pretty much see the lowest level of society. These kids are great, even in the midst of poverty and depraved conditions (Relatively speaking, lets be honest here). I find that there is a small percentage of children who rise above the chaos. There is one common denominator for these "GOOD" kids.

Deliberate parenting!

Instead of our "so-called" society blaming everyone under the sun for what people do we need to take a good long look at the overall quality of parenting throughout the country.

For example the Columbine killers; the parents "didn't know, didn't ask questions were not involved as they needed to be".

The parents who complain about violence everywhere need to step up to the damn tv or the radio and turn it off!
They have the power to control their own homes and shape the views of their own children and that is where their power must begin and end. No parent from middle america should have the right to censor and stop adults or mature individuals from enjoying recreational outlets.

I think the debate is flawed, we should not be looking at how these violent media begat more violence, we should instead focus on how good parenting not only prevents violence but encourages healthy attitudes and a solid grounding which allows teenagers to seperate "REALITY" from "FANTASY". When this is consistently applied, the country will begin to grow healthier and the problems of teen violence will decline. Follow that logic if teens are not violent in the "real" sense then they will not grow up to be violent adults.

Maybe we should have SONY, or Microsoft or Nintendo create games designed to be played by parents and their children. Teach the parents how to communicate through the medium the kids prefer. Maybe, just maybe a revolution is brewing?!

Reaction score
Re: The buck stops there!

Originally posted by Barber
...Deliberate parenting!...
I love it. Never heard that before.

As a parent, as a former educator, as a leader of Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, I agree. An "involved" and caring parent is crucial. It also takes a child who is willing. A few years back, it was said that it takes a village to raise a child. It takes a parent. The village gives context, and helps define moral and ethical standards. It is the parent, or parent figure who has the responsibility to instill those moral and ethics.

To the point, I do believe many of today's games have questionable content. I do not blame video games on today's problems. I do believe that the game publishers are being socially irresponsible. Just because the public wants it and is willing to pay for it, does not mean it is right to supply. I know all of the arguments that if one supplier doesn't come through another one will. I know that as long as there is lucre to make, someone will be willing enough to take it.

Between games, magazines, television, movies, and plain old "street talking, what is a parent to do. I am no prude. I like the occasional men's magazine, a good FPS, and language doesn't bother me. However, all things in their time, and place. I would not read a men's magazine near my children. I monitor what they play, read and watch. My kids do watch some R-rated movies. But, I also know that they have learned their lessons, and are not likely to become corrupted by the language and violence. My 11 year old loves "Dead Like Me". I think it is one of the best things ever to come to television. But, since it is on cable, it is laced with language. I let him watch it because the show is good and engaging. He is a thinker, and the show makes you think. He also gets "it". He understands what the show is about.

Bottom line, everyone is to blame, and everyone is responsible. To point fingers to a single cause is like blaming the forest for the forest fire.

Reaction score
In my mind it all comes down to how parents raise their kids. Video games, toy guns/swords, etc. are not the problem. The problem is that too many parents aren't involved enough in the children's lives (if there in the picture at all) to balance these other sensory inputs.

As a kid I had every toy gun out there from fake flintlocks to western cap guns to WW II SMG's. What I also had were parents who let me know the difference between "playing army" and what the consequences of real war were. I grew up during the Vietnam era where the damage real war caused was in our living room every night.

I also had the fortune to have a father who was a history major who explained the historical significance of my "toys" in a way that even at an early age left a lasting impression. He never glorified war, but he also explained that at times it was a necessary evil. He explained that if the atomic bombs had not been dropped I probably wouldn't be here since he was on a troop ship as part of the planned Japanese invasion force at the time.

Video game violence by itself is not the problem, the problem is when its used as a "babysitter".

I think I want to go hug my dad now!

Marines

Reaction score
I have been playing video games all my life (Since 87, remember Gato). I'm 23 now and I love true strat games like FG '85, NGP '85, RTTR and many others. I own an XBOX and have screaming PC.

I love FPS's and other action games even more than I like strategy games sometimes. I have GTA 3 and GTAVC for both platforms.

I have no want or reason to go on a GTA like rampage through my home town just because I have played these games, don't get me wrong I love playing the bad guy because the good guy scenario is so overplayed.

I think that "I saw it in a video game" reasoning used as a cop-out in an to attempt to get out of the charges.

QUOTE]As a kid I had every toy gun out there from fake flintlocks to western cap guns to WW II SMG's. What I also had were parents who let me know the difference between "playing army" and what the consequences of real war were. I grew up during the Vietnam era where the damage real war caused was in our living room every night. [/QUOTE]

Your right. I had a plastic copy of M-4 Carbine in flat black that looked totally real (And a AK-47 and a M-60).

Semper Fi

jguritza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am glad to see there is still not a vote for yes. It gives me hope that some people take personal responsibility in the own actions. Parents unfortunately have produced a large number of Latch-Key kids in the past decade. Who is interacting with kids when they get home from school? I count my lucky stars that everyday growing up I had my mom at home just to ask, "How was your day?" Someone was there...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Originally posted by jguritza
I am glad to see there is still not a vote for yes. It gives me hope that some people take personal responsibility in the own actions. Parents unfortunately have produced a large number of Latch-Key kids in the past decade. Who is interacting with kids when they get home from school? I count my lucky stars that everyday growing up I had my mom at home just to ask, "How was your day?" Someone was there...
Yes, you need someone there.

Without wishing to make out that I'm a perfect Dad (I am after all, totally evil and trying to conquer the world) I enjoy spending time with my daughter, 20-month old Alice, every evening and it's a tradition I hope and intend to continue as she gets older.

Dr. S.

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hmm I play all the "evil" videogames I can get my hands on and:

1. I play violent videogames
2. I live in a house with 2 SKS's (His and Her set, marry a woman who likes guns), 1 Makarov, 1 Hakim, 2 98k (1 of which is mine), 1 FN-FAL (Semi-auto, dad could've had a semi auto H&K 21 but didn't want to wait and got the FN with Match sights, I'd love to comp. shoot with it.), 1 AK-47 (Egyptian Police Version, semi-auto, them Egyptians ain't dumb.. Imagine North Hollywood when the cops are all toting AK's too.), 2 Springfield Muskets, 1 Enfield Musket, 2 Carbines (ACW era originals), and a 12 ga. Shotgun.

I haven't yet had an impulse to shoot up anyplaces nor the thought of it from playing video games. They claim they can teach kids to shoot... Moving a mouse or stick is a helluva lot different then first, loading the thing... and then actually shooting it....
I read a PC Gamer article that put an interesting view on the situation, he was involved in a maniac shooting up a bus and this was in 1990 BEFORE GTA and all those "evil" games... Are games actually modeled off of real life? Interesting question.

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Well aside from my gaming and military hobbies -- I also listen (listened to) Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath -- if those people's theiries are true - I am surprised I have made it this far....

The parenting now adays flat out stinks for most epeople -and I agree - people never want to blame themselves for what happens.... or leastwise the media won't seem to allow it if it does happen.

Patrocles

Reaction score
Tough question to answer! But it appears most folks are able to recognize a "violent" video game when they see one! Yeah, like I'm gonna turn into Nazi because I play the Germans in ASL or Combat Mission! sheesh!

I heard a blurb on the BBC last year about video game violence. The commentator stated that at that time there had been no conclusive connection between vid game violence and actual violence. He also made a interesting statement about how many of the so-called violent video games (Doom, Quake) were heroic games in that the player is trying to save humanity, playing against the odds, trying to eliminate evil.

last_cav1971

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Its just the parents wanting to blame the game manufacturers for the parents' mistakes and lack of observation of their children and what theyre doing and playing.

They want someone else to monitor what is suitable for their children. They want no part of it. It takes too much "time" for them. God forbid they should lose a few hours of work and the almighty dime for their kids' sake.

Mark
Deo Vindice

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah I between the music I listen to (metal and hard rock primarily), the movies I watch (I'm a huge horror fan), and the video games I play, and *gasp* the roleplaying games I used to play a lot, they should be making documentaries and horror movies about the horrible things I've done...

...rubbish I say...

::goes back to chopping up the bodies::