Victory Conditions

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Like Battlefield Integrity a lot of players hate the additional record keeping so counting CVPs should be kept out of most scenarios if one wants to see them played often.

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
)
to reduce the last turn crazy moves
I like that concept; wish I had a clue as to how to implement it without more layers of SSRs. Seems to me that with the exception of CGs, where preservation of force for future CG dates makes game (and historical) sense, the last-minute dash to victory (with the resulting high body count) is more often than not baked into the cake. Ironically, the more balanced a scenario is, the more likely that will happen.

But hey, some of the most memorable scenarios I've played have come down to an exciting last turn free-for-all with the game decided on the last DR. Maybe not always the most historically representative, but definitely a thrilling way to end the game!

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
)

I like that concept; wish I had a clue as to how to implement it without more layers of SSRs. Seems to me that with the exception of CGs, where preservation of force for future CG dates makes game (and historical) sense, the last-minute dash to victory (with the resulting high body count) is more often than not baked into the cake. Ironically, the more balanced a scenario is, the more likely that will happen.

But hey, some of the most memorable scenarios I've played have come down to an exciting last turn free-for-all with the game decided on the last DR. Maybe not always the most historically representative, but definitely a thrilling way to end the game!
Yup, myself I don't shy away from scenarios with CVPs and will even play with Battlefield Integrity if the opponent wants to. I will almost always play with interrogation as well unless prohibited or the opponent really is against it as it gives one another reason to take POWs. However, I have met several players that detest any more than basic meat & potatoes ASL and that's OK except I think they miss out on a lot of the enjoyment and depth of ASL. JMHO

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yup, myself I don't shy away from scenarios with CVPs and will even play with Battlefield Integrity if the opponent wants to. I will almost always play with interrogation as well unless prohibited or the opponent really is against it as it gives one another reason to take POWs. However, I have met several players that detest any more than basic meat & potatoes ASL and that's OK except I think they miss out on a lot of the enjoyment and depth of ASL. JMHO
My regular opp and I always play with E2.1 Interrogation. Cuts down on the cardboard atrocities,

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like VC 1 the most (control). Scenarios with a couple of choices for VC can be very fun.

I'm biased against Exit VC scenarios but then again have played several good ones with this VC. Thankfully I'm not the only one choosing which scenario to play!

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For my two cents: I prefer VC that involve control. Something about fighting for important real estate that appeals to me. I don't mind the exit VC scenarios; however, I sometimes question the scenarios where the attacker can come close to his VC number with mostly using leaders. For example, in S188, ZON With The Wind (a very fun scenario) the Americans have to exit 7 VPs to win. IIRC, they can hit that number with their three leaders alone, assuming they were not wounded.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I had no preference of Victory Conditions and enjoyed the variety that was available. Variety is the spice of gaming life.

That is destined for the Old Expressions ASLified thread. You shouldn't waste specal ammo or good material. 😉

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Any VC that don't create a SINGLE DEFENSE strategy.
Make control of hexes, etc...not all inclusive...
3 of 5 buildings etc...so you won't deploy and occupy every location of the 35 location building.....BORING game.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Boring is not a word I would associate with SL/ASL. Some scenarios, their OB or Victory Conditions, may not be as exciting or action packed as others but not boring. YMMV

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Boring is not a word I would associate with SL/ASL. Some scenarios, their OB or Victory Conditions, may not be as exciting or action packed as others but not boring. YMMV
That being said I am easily amused, a cheap date, and don't get bored very often.