Victory condition building turned into rubble

esparver73

Reaction score
Country
llLuxembourg
If a scenario does not specify that victory building locations turned into rubble during the game still count as victory locations, how is that usually handled?

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Per B24.1, a rubbled location is no longer considered to be a building location. In the absence of a SSR saying otherwise, it will no longer count as a victory location. This can incentivise players with a penchant for sleaze to try to rubble buildings deliberately in order to deny them to their opponent. I have never tried it myself but rumour has it that it has been done! Scenario designers should be aware of this possibility if the defending side has DCs and the attacker needs to capture a specific building location.

esparver73

Reaction score
Country
llLuxembourg
Ok, that's what I was thinking. There's nothing in the rules to prevent it so if the SSR don't take it into account it could be sleazed. Not that it's straightforward, but sometimes things happen.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, and there are a few that state that "building hexes rubbled during play are still considered building hexes for VC purposes" or words to that effect.

esparver73

Reaction score
Country
llLuxembourg
If the victory conditions are based on capturing locations instead of hexes or whole buildings, it should also be taken into account the possibility of reducing three building locations into a single rubble location, due to a high-caliber gun or a DC.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If the victory conditions are based on capturing locations instead of hexes or whole buildings, it should also be taken into account the possibility of reducing three building locations into a single rubble location, due to a high-caliber gun or a DC.
I’ve lost scenarios in tournament play because of this at least twice, lol. One time I moved a tank in and temporarily forgot about random rubble creation. That basically turned the 10th building needed for victory into rubble, surrounded by stacks of my 6-2-8s.
The other time a foolishly placed democharge rubbled a building hex, granting my opponent building control over the rest of the building for a immediate win.

Last edited:

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Destroying important objectives to keep them out of enemy hands is a standard military tactic. It isn't sleazy, it is part of the abstraction. Bendizoid snookering himself, twice, stuff happens.

esparver73

Reaction score
Country
llLuxembourg
No problem with the enemy denyinga building. The problem is if you deny them yourself unwillingly and make impossible your own victory conditions.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No problem with the enemy denyinga building. The problem is if you deny them yourself unwillingly and make impossible your own victory conditions.
Don't detonate a DC in the Bread Factory. It might rubble.

If the objective is to take the Bread Factory and the player does use the DC -- hoping to roll average and not low -- that is a choice made by the player. If a tactic is to destroy the bridge/building/whatever to deny them to the attacker, the attacker must likewise be very careful in not destroying the objective. Throw the DC or use it somewhere else.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I once threw a DC into a building Location in Vulcan Forge. The target hex rubbled and my throwers hex rubbled. Mutually assured destruction, WW2 style