Victoria 3 Game - Paradox

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Count me in - Chipmunk Brainer - better graphics- more economic options and more complicated Diplomacy options.

Hopefully the day turn gizmo timer will have a really , reallyslow option - this baby is an unhinged wave of complication and detail.....the pics will be much better too.

Definitely for those who have 5000 hours to spare and an interest in the period. Getting into it is a real brain cell charger......some people cannot cope with such detail.........and play at a superficial level.....whereas there are those who..................!...not for the casual gamer...😛...

When is it going to be released - Huh ! Huh ?...................

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I should still have Victoria 2 on my old XP computer along with Hearts of Iron 3.

( Aragon - Divine Wind Mod - Map............)

The most fun I have had with a Paradox game covering pre 20th Century history was with the Europa Universalis 3 game. I wanted a challenge but not too puny a country. Choosing the bigger countries is too easy. Aragon offers a wide range of possibilities.

There are some really shady nuances when dealing with your neighbours. Castille is a pain as they have a larger navy and will eventually out-man you - so you have to hope that they gett involved in a major war with the Islamic African Kingdoms. It is necessary to ally with Portugal who usually have a decent army and chose the right moment to take down Castille which has to be done in increments as you generally get a peace treaty giving you one or two provinces only at a time. You need about 5 good winning wars against them . France puts lots of troops on your eastern border but do nothing.

I have played the initial part about 4 times and it is a real learning curve for you - you have to do certain things in order to stand any chance of taking the Spanish Peninsula.

In the third game - Portugal did a dirty deed by pulling out of a war and doing a separate deal with Castille which left me facing them alone with their allies in Italy I love it - the treachery was well timed and delocious - it set me back severely and I started over again.

My fourth game went to plan and I have after 80 year a vgood amount of territory and am almost fit to take on France or England or the mamelukes.

Choosing to play Aragon tests your naval skills as you never have enough ships and you can only really expand in Italy which has a dodgy Sicily to handle and Italian states with lots of money and surprisingly large armies but only a couple of provinces.

You spend time watching for juicy opportunities to intervene in war, when one side is weaker or the greater side can be out-manouvred or cannot defend an outlying province adequately.

Apparently; apart from the graphics - the EU3 sysyem and AI seems to be better than EU4. I have only played it nominally but am impressed by the skulduggery and treachery of certain states that you are lulled into thinking are your pals simply because they have behaved that way before.

Balancing Money and War is difficult......that said - once you understand the military combat system mechanics - things should run smoothly except for the fact that you have to chase down enemy armies who are trying to reconstitute and recover morale - until they are eliminated completely.

The state of Aragon is a tricky and delightful kingdom to play....you have lots of options and are free from the Central European - constant buttressing of Empires and war. Definitely more tiring keeping track of all that is going on around you.

Europa Universalis 2 - which has the best game soundtrack ever - the EU3 music sounds like you are playing the game in an elevator...............😶...