Vic Provost MIA Explained

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guys,

I was holding off on announcing this, but Vic has given his consent, so.......

Vic Provost fell ill with a mystery flu-like illness almost 5 weeks ago. After 2 weeks of up/down fevers his condition deteriorated and after going to two local urgent care clinics, he was rushed to the hospital with his blood pressure plummeting. He was experiencing heart failure and kidney failure, and showed signs of encephalitis and meningitis. This necessitated placing Vic on a ventilator and keeping him in a sedated coma for over a week. Tests finally showed he was suffering from a tick-borne illness called Anaplasmosis, and he was treated with the proper antibiotic. His condition began to improve, and finally he was taken off the ventilator and woken up. He is now waiting to transfer to a rehab facility, as he is still very weak. We all were very worried initially as many who experience tick-borne encephalitis can have lasting neurologic problems, but Vic's mental status has rapidly returned to normal, and it was good to hear him asking how the playtest was going for Dispatches and being eager to get back to the bunker club.

In any event, Vic wanted me to let you all know that he will be back up and running as soon as he is able. He knows that there are many who have been waiting for replies and he will try and respond to their messages as soon as possible. If there's anything I can help you with in the meantime, feel free to send me a message.

Tom

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Guys,

I was holding off on announcing this, but Vic has given his consent, so.......

Vic Provost fell ill with a mystery flu-like illness almost 5 weeks ago. After 2 weeks of up/down fevers his condition deteriorated and after going to two local urgent care clinics, he was rushed to the hospital with his blood pressure plummeting. He was experiencing heart failure and kidney failure, and showed signs of encephalitis and meningitis. This necessitated placing Vic on a ventilator and keeping him in a sedated coma for over a week. Tests finally showed he was suffering from a tick-borne illness called Anaplasmosis, and he was treated with the proper antibiotic. His condition began to improve, and finally he was taken off the ventilator and woken up. He is now waiting to transfer to a rehab facility, as he is still very weak. We all were very worried initially as many who experience tick-borne encephalitis can have lasting neurologic problems, but Vic's mental status has rapidly returned to normal, and it was good to hear him asking how the playtest was going for Dispatches and being eager to get back to the bunker club.

In any event, Vic wanted me to let you all know that he will be back up and running as soon as he is able. He knows that there are many who have been waiting for replies and he will try and respond to their messages as soon as possible. If there's anything I can help you with in the meantime, feel free to send me a message.

Tom
Geeez ... Vic’s a good man. I wish him all the very best.

jtsjc1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank God he's ok and got the treatment he needs. Thanks for the info Tom please wish him well and hopefully he's back on his feet soon.

Sean Deller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh my goodness...Thanks for letting us know, Tom. Especially given that he is on the mend and the prognosis is good.

Best wishes, and we all look forward to his return.

Sean

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow. Good luck and God speed his recovery.

Ticks are no joke. There was a kid in my high school graduating class who fell ill from a tick bite between our junior and senior year. He ended up with brain damage, and never returned to school.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow, things happen so quickly.

Glad to hear that he is on the mend. My best wishes for a speedy recovery.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Thanks for the good news, Tom. We knew he'd come through. Tell Vic we'll see both of you in Tokyo the next time we have an event.

Best wishes to Vic and hoping for a full speedy recovery. We don't want to live in a world with no Dispatches from the Bunker!
Bruce, I think the tariff has not been raised on slouch hats yet. Now's the time to export boxes to every TD in the US between today and ASLOK. All ASL players ought to enjoy tick bite prevention in style.

Last edited:

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the update, Tom!

Best Wishes Vic!! Get Well Soon!

As others have said, let me reiterate: Ticks are no laughing matter. Was working in the yard this evening for about three hours. Pulled four of the little blood suckers off of me when I went to take a shower. And this was just working in the lawn. Wish I could find some damn DDT to get rid of them and those blasted chiggers.

Cheers,

Mark