Very last call for.......

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
but I am working now with a bunch turbo mongs with no experience in the ‘real’ Military and no operational experience at all, so you can imagine the fights that happen there.
That's one of the things one realizes if one get a little older:

You teach it again and again and again. Which becomes tiresome and annoying.
However, as it is always younger and somewhat necessarily less experienced people who follow up, there is basically no alternative to teach it yet another time - and again.

Same thing regardless of whether it is military or not.

von Marwitz

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have 5 yrs left if I want t, will have served 37 years by then, think I am nearing the point where I have had enough of the Military, never thought I would say that but I am working now with a bunch turbo mongs with no experience in the ‘real’ Military and no operational experience at all, so you can imagine the fights that happen there. Glad you are on an even keel now and life is good.

All the best

Perry
Ah, but the satisfaction comes when you see the people you've mentored become a real solid soldier (or sailor, or marine, etc.). Our job has always been to replace ourselves, the next man (or woman) up syndrome, and there will simply come a time when you realize that you're in the way or less capable of meeting the demands of a young people's profession more than a leader and example to set the standards (face it, our bodies tend to take a beating-the mind's willing but the body weakens). If you were good, and I have every reason to expect that you are and they'll say you were once gone, you'll always be able to look back with pride and a little self satisfaction at what you helped accomplish. Many people wonder if their life had impact, you'll never have that worry. Oh, BTW Thanks for your service brother, and treat 'em rough until the last day; your next phase will be just as rewarding I'll bet.:nod:

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ah, but the satisfaction comes when you see the people you've mentored become a real solid soldier (or sailor, or marine, etc.). Our job has always been to replace ourselves, the next man (or woman) up syndrome, and there will simply come a time when you realize that you're in the way or less capable of meeting the demands of a young people's profession more than a leader and example to set the standards (face it, our bodies tend to take a beating-the mind's willing but the body weakens). If you were good, and I have every reason to expect that you are and they'll say you were once gone, you'll always be able to look back with pride and a little self satisfaction at what you helped accomplish. Many people wonder if their life had impact, you'll never have that worry. Oh, BTW Thanks for your service brother, and treat 'em rough until the last day; your next phase will be just as rewarding I'll bet.:nod:
More than happy with that, Recon all the way as they say, but sometimes it just gets ya blood up, ah well, time to relax and let a new breed take the helm as it were. I agree 100% with the satisfaction of passing on the 'old' skills that the young hounds needs, and no matter what certain groups think or feel, we need 'real soldiers' now more than ever.
and right back at ya, thank you for your service brother.

Regards

Perry

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
e-gackly.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Part of my PTSD symptoms was due to the millennial I worked with. Yeah, a 4 year corporal telling a 27 year corporal with two tours and a long line of experience that I could
not do my job, and I needed babysitting...............My direct supervisor also quit when he tried to tell her how to do her job. A master corporal with 15 years experience, 10 as a supervisor. And the worst part...............the MWO allowed him to do it. I could not do it anymore, my right knee is due to be replaced because of a serious accident at work and three major surgeries and 2 1/2 years of rehab meant I could not do my job...........So dealing with two tours in Bosnia and the millennial morons etc meant see ya. So I am now in a happy place.................and no it is not brown bottle wobblypops or happy drugs it is now looking out of the tunnel at a better life.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Part of my PTSD symptoms was due to the millennial I worked with. Yeah, a 4 year corporal telling a 27 year corporal with two tours and a long line of experience that I could
not do my job, and I needed babysitting...............My direct supervisor also quit when he tried to tell her how to do her job. A master corporal with 15 years experience, 10 as a supervisor. And the worst part...............the MWO allowed him to do it. I could not do it anymore, my right knee is due to be replaced because of a serious accident at work and three major surgeries and 2 1/2 years of rehab meant I could not do my job...........So dealing with two tours in Bosnia and the millennial morons etc meant see ya. So I am now in a happy place.................and no it is not brown bottle wobblypops or happy drugs it is now looking out of the tunnel at a better life.

Thankfully or not depending on your PoV my PTSD was caused the old fashioned way (to many TOURS and to many bangs going off in very close proximity to me and my boys)and in no way by a 'Snowflake millennial' trying to tell me how to operate as a Recce soldier or even an instructor. I think if I did meet one of those types my now 30 years of service would kick in and 'Old School' Sarge would rear up and devour said snowflake Cpl.

Injury wise I have the usual teeth arm complaints, bad back ( to much wieght in the bergan) bad knees ( same complaint but To many miles carrying said bergan at speed) 2 broken ankles bad jump (released my bundle to late and landed on my bundle), Shattered T7 Thoracic (fell down a flight of stairs and landed on my arse, shock wave went up m y spine and split my T7 in half) hearing going (said loud bangs etc over a prolonged period of time), and several broken bones here and there, so the normal run of the mill stuff.

I am in a very happy place (Cornwall) and am enjoying life in the main.

all the best

Perry

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thankfully or not depending on your PoV my PTSD was caused the old fashioned way (to many TOURS and to many bangs going off in very close proximity to me and my boys)and in no way by a 'Snowflake millennial' trying to tell me how to operate as a Recce soldier or even an instructor. I think if I did meet one of those types my now 30 years of service would kick in and 'Old School' Sarge would rear up and devour said snowflake Cpl.

Injury wise I have the usual teeth arm complaints, bad back ( to much wieght in the bergan) bad knees ( same complaint but To many miles carrying said bergan at speed) 2 broken ankles bad jump (released my bundle to late and landed on my bundle), Shattered T7 Thoracic (fell down a flight of stairs and landed on my arse, shock wave went up m y spine and split my T7 in half) hearing going (said loud bangs etc over a prolonged period of time), and several broken bones here and there, so the normal run of the mill stuff.

I am in a very happy place (Cornwall) and am enjoying life in the main.

all the best

Perry
Perry is one of those old-school RSM types when it comes to snowflakes...... "Okay, ladies! Let's see if we can have our first heart attack, shall we? At the double quick- MARCH!!!!". Then up the hill with full kit, and down, and up and down and up and .... well you get a general idea..:D.

(Absolutely the most terrifying thing ever. Something in the set of that old dog's eyes tells you he is dead serious.... ;) . )

The Marine equivalent was the Senior DI in your face about 2/3rd the way, on your first trip up Mount Mother-fu$%er:
"Are you going to DIE going up this hill!?!?!?! Well, then FU$%ING DIE you PISSANT MAGGOT!!!!! Otherwise, STEP IT OUT!!!".

:) ahhh, the good old days.......

I got lucky in the injury dep't - walked away with screws in my right ankle holding it together from a helo crash injury, malfunctioning right ring and pinky finger tendons that were sewn back together from shrapnel spalling of a .50 cal when it took a burst of fire in the right side plate, mild scarring in my lungs from chemical exposure, and left eye corneal damage from a solvent burn on the cornea when a wave hit the bow and PD-680 solvent splashed into my face. Not too shabby after 20 yrs, 9 mos, 11 days. - At least I still got a good back and strong knees.

PTSD- well, one sentence.....

Night terrors suck, period.

BT-DT - no desire for another ticket, TYVM. Unfortunately, it seems to a be hard to get off that ride.........

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Perry is one of those old-school RSM types when it comes to snowflakes...... "Okay, ladies! Let's see if we can have our first heart attack, shall we? At the double quick- MARCH!!!!". Then up the hill with full kit, and down, and up and down and up and .... well you get a general idea..:D.

(Absolutely the most terrifying thing ever. Something in the set of that old dog's eyes tells you he is dead serious.... ;) . )

The Marine equivalent was the Senior DI in your face about 2/3rd the way, on your first trip up Mount Mother-fu$%er:
"Are you going to DIE going up this hill!?!?!?! Well, then FU$%ING DIE you PISSANT MAGGOT!!!!! Otherwise, STEP IT OUT!!!".

:) ahhh, the good old days.......

I got lucky in the injury dep't - walked away with screws in my right ankle holding it together from a helo crash injury, malfunctioning right ring and pinky finger tendons that were sewn back together from shrapnel spalling of a .50 cal when it took a burst of fire in the right side plate, mild scarring in my lungs from chemical exposure, and left eye corneal damage from a solvent burn on the cornea when a wave hit the bow and PD-680 solvent splashed into my face. Not too shabby after 20 yrs, 9 mos, 11 days. - At least I still got a good back and strong knees.

PTSD- well, one sentence.....

Night terrors suck, period.

BT-DT - no desire for another ticket, TYVM. Unfortunately, it seems to a be hard to get off that ride.........
Jon hits it on the head 100%, night terrors besides (I suffer the bogey man now and then but not to often thankfully). And damn straight I am old school, best way IMHO, firm but very fair, your people know where they stand and also, and I have always said this is central to good leadership, they also know if they support you, you will support them 100% and stand up for them when needed.

We have a saying in our lot and I am sure the Corps is the same. Weapons, men then you.

All the best

Perry

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes. In the Corps you learn the mantra early:

Mission accomplishment, troop welfare. the two priorities of leadership. And you also learn about 2 minutes after stepping onto the yellow footprints that you are all exactly equal in the eyes of your superiors.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yes. In the Corps you learn the mantra early:

Mission accomplishment, troop welfare. the two priorities of leadership. And you also learn about 2 minutes after stepping onto the yellow footprints that you are all exactly equal in the eyes of your superiors.
And my personnel favourite= Lead by example.

Semper Fi Jon

Perry

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes part of my PTSD is the damn mines..................Bosnia was full of them and you never new where they were.........................unless you had four legged mine detectors in your area.
It was the explosions daily that sent chills up my spine. As for the damn snowflake CPL I would have loved to shit all over him but his head was so far up you knows arse that he was a teflon soldier nothing he did was ever wrong................yeah............. and I have a minefield for sale..............cheap................. And Perry... to bad we did not have your kind here maybe some af the shitbirds here would straighten up as well. I hate the "New and kinder, gentler army""

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yes part of my PTSD is the damn mines..................Bosnia was full of them and you never new where they were.........................unless you had four legged mine detectors in your area.
It was the explosions daily that sent chills up my spine. As for the damn snowflake CPL I would have loved to shit all over him but his head was so far up you knows arse that he was a teflon soldier nothing he did was ever wrong................yeah............. and I have a minefield for sale..............cheap................. And Perry... to bad we did not have your kind here maybe some af the shitbirds here would straighten up as well. I hate the "New and kinder, gentler army""

Both Bosnia & Kosovo were depressing Tours, I thankfully never did a UN Tour out that way, but only NATO ISAF & IFOR trips, but still depressingly sad, mines were a problem, but the worst was finding old mass graves, that always shock the boys and myself a bit.
Yep CPL snowflake would of been F*&ked royally by my good self I can assure you, Soldiers are soldiers, not arse kissers, and we as you well know are told, Argument with reason and lead with conviction.

Hope all is well mate.

Perry

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Both Bosnia & Kosovo were depressing Tours, I thankfully never did a UN Tour out that way, but only NATO ISAF & IFOR trips, but still depressingly sad, mines were a problem, but the worst was finding old mass graves, that always shock the boys and myself a bit.
Yep CPL snowflake would of been F*&ked royally by my good self I can assure you, Soldiers are soldiers, not arse kissers, and we as you well know are told, Argument with reason and lead with conviction.

Hope all is well mate.

Perry
Everything now is going well. When I left the military I was able to go back to college. It did a lot of good for me, it helped manage the side effects and was a positive goal to reach. I think that this may help you as well. Look into it, I recommend anyone with PTSD/OSI to try it. It helped me concentrate on something positive and means that I am a useful member of society again. I think to many retired members think that after the military that they are no longer useful. That is so far from the truth, the only thing holding the retiree back is their mindset. For me the first step was to grow a garden.......yup, a guy used to carrying a weapon and shooting things playing in a garden, but it worked. Digging into the garden with your hands and planting things calms your mind, and there is something about the dirt of a garden it has healing benefits, whether it is the nutrients, I do not know. Get a small plot and make a little garden for yourself.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Everything now is going well. When I left the military I was able to go back to college. It did a lot of good for me, it helped manage the side effects and was a positive goal to reach. I think that this may help you as well. Look into it, I recommend anyone with PTSD/OSI to try it. It helped me concentrate on something positive and means that I am a useful member of society again. I think to many retired members think that after the military that they are no longer useful. That is so far from the truth, the only thing holding the retiree back is their mindset. For me the first step was to grow a garden.......yup, a guy used to carrying a weapon and shooting things playing in a garden, but it worked. Digging into the garden with your hands and planting things calms your mind, and there is something about the dirt of a garden it has healing benefits, whether it is the nutrients, I do not know. Get a small plot and make a little garden for yourself.
Don't forget veteran's organizations. The one thing we really miss is the camaraderie of service people. Believe me it helps a lot to get your attitude slapped around once in a while and have some laughs like old times, just like when you were in. Vets do help vets!

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He’s probably playing D&D right now. Ya can’t call for divine intervention in ASL. Well, you can call for DI in ASL and it works 1/36 times.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't forget veteran's organizations. The one thing we really miss is the camaraderie of service people. Believe me it helps a lot to get your attitude slapped around once in a while and have some laughs like old times, just like when you were in. Vets do help vets!
indeed. I am a life member of American Legion and Marine Corps League, a volunteer for the Patriot Guard Riders (we stand for those who stood for us - flagline honor guard for veteran funeral services), and a volunteer at the Travis AFB Fisher House (where recently amputated vets and their families unite and re-learn how to navigate through this world with a major disability).

The volunteer stuff really helps me. I get to help other veterans with some major crises in their lives. I get to greet returning Afghanistan vets at the "freedom bird" on the tarmac, with handshakes and hugs, with Big Macs and Chocolate Shakes donated for this purpose by the local McDonald's franchise owner. Lots of thank you's to go around - you can see it really brightens up their day getting a positive "welcome home, brother". I know why Jeff worked at the VSO -it really makes you feel redemption when you turn around and help the next guy in line. We know what they are just beginning to face, for emotional baggage and challenges. So it's up to us to be there when they need another veteran to understand and assist.