Very Basic DFF Question

Velocette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I should know the answer to this question; but it is late, I am tired, and I am letting my grogginess confuse me; my apologies

In the picture below, during the MPh, the 5-4-6 fired the MMG as DFF (did not keep rate) and broke the 2-4-7, placed DM & 2 RFP.

Later in the turn, a 5-4-8 enters the LOS of the 5-4-6. Can the Squad now use its inherent FP to fire at the 4-6-7?

OR is it restricted per A8.31 (can't fire at a target > closest KEU).

I say Yes, because the Squad has not yet exhausted its inherent FP First Fire capability and thus is not under the restrictions of Subsequent First Fire.

Again my apologies for such a basic question.

VR,
Velo

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Later in the turn, a 5-4-8 enters the LOS of the 5-4-6. Can the Squad now use its inherent FP to fire at the 4-6-7?
Yes.

OR is it restricted per A8.31 (can't fire at a target > closest KEU).
No.

I say Yes, because the Squad has not yet exhausted its inherent FP First Fire capability and thus is not under the restrictions of Subsequent First Fire.
Correct.

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An annoying little reminder (one which I frequently need which is why Im pointing it out here): Don't forget to put the covered arc marker on the MG when it fires from building / woods / rubble (the one in your example is in a building I think) if there's any chance you might fire again that phase -- Although rof is gone CA restricts SFF and FPF too.

Nearmiss

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Standing "O" for Gordon's suggestion. I have the spot reserved for those counters.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Something along the lines of (just a quick test):99399940

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I rarely place the CA counter on the stack.
As the rules suggest, I place it along the hexside that initially is the median of the CA.
So hardly any counter clutter.
You would also need Prep Fire CA, btw.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, I was considering Prep Fire counters as well. I'm really just seeing what people think/do in practice. Here's an alternate/less cluttered idea:

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would not clutter the counter with the MG image, just place a black triangle (or orange for the Prep and Purple for the "D") in the upper right corner of the counter. The edge is the same as the "barrel", plus this colored edge can be seen if you have a stack of counters with unfired units sitting atop 'fire' units/SW.

Velocette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well I certainly have played this incorrectly many times; mainly from a lack of "attention to detail" rather than not comprehending the rule correctly. VR, Velo

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would not clutter the counter with the MG image, just place a black triangle (or orange for the Prep and Purple for the "D") in the upper right corner of the counter. The edge is the same as the "barrel", plus this colored edge can be seen if you have a stack of counters with unfired units sitting atop 'fire' units/SW.
Or even just modify the base prep/defensive fire counters so that you can rotate them, and toggle the triangle on or off. Then there's one fewer counter that you have to go and find.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Or even just modify the base prep/defensive fire counters so that you can rotate them, and toggle the triangle on or off. Then there's one fewer counter that you have to go and find.
I don't do VASL...I have not learned yet...but I was thinking of a physical counter when I saw the "concept" piece. But your extra layer sounds very useful for the VASLites of this world.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like the suggestion of the colored corner.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I don't think that we need more markers.
The CA marker is easily placed along the hexspine separating the two first hexes of the CA, not adding to the counter clutter.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like the suggestion of the colored corner.
View attachment 9960
I know you probably won't want me to harp on...but you should still square of the triangle, that extra "thickness" will matter. your still too thin..and you don't ned the MG...b/c if its at the counter if at the top of the pile the triangle still makes the call, and if the counter is mid pile...the MG does not matter... BTE if you totally get into this, and I am NOT*** a VASL person you out to have a MG image by "nation"....

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think that we need more markers.
The CA marker is easily placed along the hexspine separating the two first hexes of the CA, not adding to the counter clutter.
I think this seemed to be a VASL oriented marker/counter...

That said I think you totally missed the physical counter benefit...you don't use the MG stand alone counter any more...you use that looks like post #14 without the MG depiction...and the colored triangle substitutes for the MG.

But for the record I never use the MG counters as I can always recall which CA I am locked into...this is just an easy trait for me...not some attribute of acumen.