very basic concealment questions

trailrunner

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm transitioning from SK to full ASL, and I'm trying to understand concealment. I had a couple of very basic questions:

1) Cases B and D of the concealment loss/gain table starts with "If it/its PRC/its manning infantry...." and goes on to list actions that will cause loss of concealment. I understand that "PRC" is passengers, riders, and crew, but I'm little confused about "manning infantry," specifically the "manning" part. Does this only apply to infantry manning something, such as a gun? I couldn't find this term in the index, and looking at the second example in section 12.14, case B is cited twice as applying to a normal Russian squad. If that's the case, then why is the term "manning" included in cases B and D?

2) When is the generic moral level of 7 on ? counters used? Is it only used in the case in the first paragraph of section 12.14, in the sentence that says "A dummy stack out of the LOS of all enemy ground units uses a moral level of 7 when attacked, or when taking a PAATC, or a bombardment MC"? And why, two sentences later, can the owner decide to take more than one MC DR? Wouldn't he normally make a DR for each counter in the stack? Is the idea that there might be a dummy SW in the stack that he does not require an MC?

Thanks in advance.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
1) Cases B and D also cover the "Gun" lines of the Concealment table (B doesn't cover the Emplaced Gun, because as soon as it moves, it loses its emplaced status).

2) A12.14 sums up the answer : "A Dummy stack out of the LOS of all enemy ground units uses a Morale Level of 7 when attacked, or when taking a PAATC (12.41), or a Bombardment MC (C1.82)."

I hope that I helped.

trailrunner

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1) Cases B and D also cover the "Gun" lines of the Concealment table (B doesn't cover the Emplaced Gun, because as soon as it moves, it loses its emplaced status).

2) A12.14 sums up the answer : "A Dummy stack out of the LOS of all enemy ground units uses a Morale Level of 7 when attacked, or when taking a PAATC (12.41), or a Bombardment MC (C1.82)."

I hope that I helped.
Thanks for your answers.

1) Do cases B and D apply to just a regular squad, all by itself - no gun, no vehicles?

2) Is the generic 7 moral used in any other cases than the case specified in 12.14? And what is the intent of the owner being allowed to choose how many MCs to do? If there are two units in the dummy stack, could he choose to do just one? It seems like the more checks he makes, the higher the risk of failing one and eliminating the dummy stack.

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
1) Yes. The conditions listed are regrouped so that the list A, B, C, etc. doesn't stretch to Y, Z... Clauses which don't apply to a given unit or element don't apply.
2) I think that the list is exhaustive.
A concealed stack with units is not a dummy stack - the units use their morale and not the dummy morale. See for an example the details of the A12.41 rule.

trailrunner

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks very much for the help. I appreciate it.

I think I understand now. Just to be sure:

2) If the dummy stack is in LOS of a ground unit and is attacked, it would be eliminated if the result is at least a PTC. No MCs would be required.

Is this correct?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
As for dummy morale, the purpose of allowing you to make multiple checks is because a real stack would require a MC per unit. A stack of dummies would largely give themselves away if you make only one check.
Wrong.
A stack only makes one MC.
12.41 OVR: Should an "unbroken" (12.1) vehicle enter a concealed enemy's Location without using Bypass or a woods-road, all concealed enemy Personnel [EXC: those exempt from PAATC] in that Location must instantly either be revealed voluntarily (12.14) or take one combined PAATC (1PAATC if any of these ordinarily take 1PAATC) using the lowest current Morale Level among them, modified by the DRM of the best unpinned friendly Good Order leader present. A Dummy stack takes its PAATC with a Morale Level of 7.