Vehicular sized entrances in Red Barricades

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You don't think the truck Overrun is silly?
I don't think the rule that allows it is silly. The reality of the tactic may be so...but again that isn't a problem with the overrun rule...that is a problem with how players use the rule. I don't think I have ever had an occasion to do an O-R with a truck...not that I am opposed to it...just never had the opportunity. Of course this is in much the same vein as using UUV (Unarmed/Unarmored Vehicles) to find fortifications and/or general recon. Again, the rules that allow this aren't silly, it is how the players are using the rules that raise questions.

The case in point is caused not by how players use (misuse?) the rule but by one interpretation of the rule. There is no reality argument here, it is simply silly for a rule (assuming your interpretation is correct) to create a VSE in an interior building location.

Oh well, as I said there is only one interior VSE without access to and exterior one on the RB map. We probably agree this is silly, but I still think the rules say it is one.
So you believe the "interior" VSE were intentional? That the designers wanted factories to be even more vulnerable to AFV?

The Q34 & T34 are fairly interesting because that particular factor is prone to have a German AFV running through it from west to east...the position of the two hexes in question would certainly make that move a lot easier. Now, instead of 5 hexs at 1/4 MP and bog check there are only 3 such hexes. I had an opponent run a stug through like that in one playing...surprised the h#ll out of me too. Broke my defense of that factory. If your interpretation stands up to the Q&A I expect the tactic will be even more prevalent.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have never seen a factory with a bay entrance in the middle of the building...never, ever:

Now...you have.

And a few more actual Stalingrad photos:

Last edited:

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Only the one you linked is...that's exactly what the caption of the original site I copied the photo from called the photo.

A 'Bay' is just an enclosed area....I am nit sure what you think a 'Bay' is.

"bay 2 (beɪ)

— n
1. an alcove or recess in a wall
2. any partly enclosed compartment, as one in which hay is stored in a barn "

Last edited:

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Only the one you linked is...that's exactly what the caption of the original site I copied the photo from called the photo.

A 'Bay' is just an enclosed area....I am nit sure what you think a 'Bay' is.

"bay 2 (beɪ)

— n
1. an alcove or recess in a wall
2. any partly enclosed compartment, as one in which hay is stored in a barn "
I didn't say "bay"...I said "bay entrance".

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, if that photo is a bay...and the area the photo was taken from is an interior space...then you are looking at an interior bay entrance....

I'm not gonna bandy-about any more words with you on this. I was just posting a photo in a good-natured attempt to try to amuse folks...you included.

Peace and...Take care.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, if that photo is a bay...and the area the photo was taken from is an interior space...then you are looking at an interior bay entrance....

I'm not gonna bandy-about any more words with you on this. I was just posting a photo in a good-natured attempt to try to amuse folks...you included.

Peace and...Take care.
What? You aren't going to give me a chance to be mean, snotty and arrogant...bummer!

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The questions I submitted have been answered by Perry:

Q. In Red Barricades are Factory hexes with printed stairwells and no road hexside Vehicular-Sized Entrance hexes?

Yes.

....Perry
MMP

Q. If a Factory hex is a Vehicular-Sized Entrance due solely to a road into the factory does an infantry unit have to enter the hex across a road hexside in order to benefit from the vehicular sized entrance benefits of open ground movement cost?

No.

....Perry
MMP

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The questions I submitted have been answered by Perry:

Q. In Red Barricades are Factory hexes with printed stairwells and no road hexside Vehicular-Sized Entrance hexes?

Yes.

....Perry
MMP

Q. If a Factory hex is a Vehicular-Sized Entrance due solely to a road into the factory does an infantry unit have to enter the hex across a road hexside in order to benefit from the vehicular sized entrance benefits of open ground movement cost?

No.

....Perry
MMP
Update from RF
5.2 VEHICULAR-SIZED ENTRANCE: A non-rubbled RF Factory Location that has a road/Railroad entering it (EX: hex RBM29) is considered a Vehicular-Sized Entrance 3 (B23.742; B23.87-.88), but such a Location that only has a printed stairwell symbol (EX: RBK29) (while still a Factory Rooftop Access Point) is not considered a Vehicular-Sized Entrance.