Vehicles in OBA

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
I probably knew this back in the day but I couldn't find a specific wording for the two situation below. Mr Honus and I are pounding away at each other in Sowchos 79 (U28 - Turning of the Tide)

Item 1 A tank is an FFE Blast Area and wants to start up and change its VCA before leaving the hex.

Reading C1.51 it notes that a unit in a hex is only attacked "...that is changing position (or becomes vulnerable) within a Blast Area hex if the unit/stack is becoming more vulnerable to the IFE that it was in its immediate-previous position...,snip...."

Examples go on to reference location changes in building hexes, choosing WA by exiting a building, etc., but no mention of VCA changes or Start MP expenditure triggering an OBA attack.

Reference the below screen shot

1) the KV-1 in L5 could start up for 1 MP and move out of the Blast Area without triggering an attack.

2) the two T-34 M41s using Platoon Movement (3K4-K5) could also start and change VCA within their starting hexes without becoming more vulnerable and therefore no OBA attack would take place.

3) Tank E could then move K3 without an attack but tank F moving from K5 to K4 would be attacked by the OBA.

Am I missing any clarifications or errata?

Item 2 - Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to recall that a tracked vehicle can drive into a hex with an unmanned gun and simply destroy it (driving over the gun trails). Am I remembering this correctly?

Last edited:

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I probably knew this back in the day but I couldn't find a specific wording for the two situation below. Mr Honus and I are pounding away at each other in Sowchos 79 (U28 - Turning of the Tide)

Item 1 A tank is an FFE Blast Area and wants to start up and change its VCA before leaving the hex.

Reading C1.51 it notes that a unit in a hex is only attacked "...that is changing position (or becomes vulnerable) within a Blast Area hex if the unit/stack is becoming more vulnerable to the IFE that it was in its immediate-previous position...,snip...."

Examples go on to reference location changes in building hexes, choosing WA by exiting a building, etc., but no mention of VCA changes or Start MP expenditure triggering an OBA attack.

Reference the below screen shot

1) the KV-1 in L5 could start up for 1 MP and move out of the Blast Area without triggering attack.

2) the two T-34 M41s using Platoon Movement (3K4-K5) could also start and change VCA within their starting hexes without becoming more vulnerable and therefore no OBA attack would take place.

3) Tank E could then move K3 without an attack but tank F moving from K5 to K4 would be attacked by the OBA.

Am I missing any clarifications or errata?

View attachment 15192

Item 2 - Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to recall that a tracked vehicle can drive into a hex with an unmanned gun and simply destroy it (driving over the gun trails). Am I remembering this correctly?
You are correct on both items. See A9.74 for destroying weapons with a tank.