Vehicle Self-Destruction

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
5.411 SELF-DESTRUCTION: Only an Inherent crew that voluntarily abandons a vehicle may turn it into a non-burning wreck or malfunction its weapon(s) as it leaves.

Does a crew that voluntarily abandons have the option of wrecking the vehicle - and taking removable weapons if it so choses... that is my inherent halftrack crew can abandon their vehicle, wreck it, and take the AA LMG with them as they go?

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, I believe it can do both as it abandons the vehicle.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
5.411 SELF-DESTRUCTION: Only an Inherent crew that voluntarily abandons a vehicle may turn it into a non-burning wreck or malfunction its weapon(s) as it leaves.

Does a crew that voluntarily abandons have the option of wrecking the vehicle - and taking removable weapons if it so choses... that is my inherent halftrack crew can abandon their vehicle, wreck it, and take the AA LMG with them as they go?
good thinking : I really should do this more going forward! esp those Bren carriers if I dun plan to remount

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would initially say yes one could do both, but the rules do not specifically allow such. It does say you can disable a weapon and turn the vehicle into a wreck (D5.411 as stated) and it does allow you to remove a SW (D6.631) but does not necessarilly allow one to remove a SW AND turn a vehicle into a wreck. If one follows COWTRA and doesn't assume just because one or more actions are allowed that a combined action is also allowed because it isn't specifically prohibited (Introduction), it may not be the case. I would hope that this action would be allowed, but as the rules stand I believe it is not allowed barring a Q&A to Perry as I have not seen any errata that allows such an action.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe COWTRA means you can do both because the rule allows for both while excluding neither. If the rules had to spell out every possible combination of statuses and actions before an action were allowed, very few actions would be allowable.

Ed Caswell

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
I believe COWTRA means you can do both because the rule allows for both while excluding neither. If the rules had to spell out every possible combination of statuses and actions before an action were allowed, very few actions would be allowable.
There is a Q/A in Bill Kohler's Notes (June 2015) saying a Crew can abandon a vehicle, wreck it, and remove the weapons.

Ed

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the replies all. How does COWTRA apply here -- Brian W's sense of it, or Eagle4tys? -- was exactly the general puzzle I was trying to resolve when I wrote my original question. I find Brian W's reasoning persuasive and it seems there's a Q&A that aligns with Brian's application of COWTRA on this specific question. It's something I think will be worth bearing in mind when thinking thru rules issues in the future.

Thanks again.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I would not invoke COWTRA at all in this case.
No rule excludes the other one.
Both actions are possible.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would not invoke COWTRA at all in this case.
No rule excludes the other one.
Both actions are possible.
I agree, they do not exclude each other and as I have stated it would be great if a simple "remove/...." were added to D5.411, however the rules as they are intended to work do not to exclude an action as you well know but allows one to do an action. Like yourself, I would more than likely not invoke COWTRA in this instance, but having said as much, I do not believe the rules as written allows it.:nod: (sure would like to see that small addendum made, but other than a short discussion here, I don't have a dog in the fight).:thumbsup:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I don't see any reason that COWTRA would prevent the same action from having multiple results or effects.If removing the weapons, wrecking the vehicle and abandoning it were separate actions, then you couldn't declare that you were doing all three at once, but removing the weapons and/or wrecking the vehicle are options to the main action, abandoning, not separate actions, and the rules don't say they are mutually exclusive options.

JR