Vehicle Platoon movement

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Can trucks and other unarmored vehicles use platoon movement? The rulebook doesn't explicitly say no, but the only, and repeated, references are to "AFVs". Logically it seems like they'd be able to (it's just one vehicle following another.) On the other hand, even radioless tanks often had signal flags or other means of communication with each other that, I guess, support vehicles may not have had?

The obvious exploit of their being able to use it would be forming platoon with single radioless AFVs to facilitate movement, though I'm mostly interested in the command roll drm pairs of trucks would get in SASL.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
D14.2 says that AFV can form platoons and trucks are not AFVs, so I would say no.

E11 talks about columns but they cannot be created during play.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Concentrate on what the rules allow" means that for trucks to be able to do this, you'd have to have a rules reference that said "trucks" or "vehicles".

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
As single unarmored vehicles are free to move without having to roll a TC to be allowed to, I wonder what situation would make platoon movement advantageous for them.
Platoon movement for radioless AFV at least frees them from making that TC.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Platoon movement lowers the risk of bog when driving over bog terrain. It also limits DFF opportunities in some cases.