Vehicle Mounted FT

asler

Reaction score
Probably just missing the obvious, but does a vehicle mounted FT (e.g. the bow mounted FT on the Russian OT-34) have to roll a To Hit when firing against another vehicle?

I realize the infantry SW version doesn't, but the vehicle mounted one would be considered a Gun by definition (5/8" counter). However, is it considered Ordnance - and thereby needing a To Hit roll? Couldn't locate the relevant rules to clear this up.

Chris

da priest

Reaction score
Non-ordnance:

3.31 MG/CANISTER/FT FIRE: Any non-ordnance weapon [EXC: FT; Gyrostabilized CMG vs acquired target (11.13)] using Bounding (or Bounding First) Fire has its FP halved. ...

[font=Times New Roman,Times]3.6 FT: Vehicular-mounted FT are often more powerful than the Infantry SW variety of A22 and may have more FP, range, and different X# as depicted on the counter, but otherwise work the same [EXC: Motion Fire; 2.42]. Case A To Hit DRM apply as IFT DRM unless using Bounding First Fire (C5.13).[/font]

asler

Reaction score
thanks, but not totally convinced yet...

da priest said:
Non-ordnance:

3.31 MG/CANISTER/FT FIRE: Any non-ordnance weapon [EXC: FT; Gyrostabilized CMG vs acquired target (11.13)] using Bounding (or Bounding First) Fire has its FP halved. ...

[font=Times New Roman,Times]3.6 FT: Vehicular-mounted FT are often more powerful than the Infantry SW variety of A22 and may have more FP, range, and different X# as depicted on the counter, but otherwise work the same [EXC: Motion Fire; 2.42]. Case A To Hit DRM apply as IFT DRM unless using Bounding First Fire (C5.13).[/font]
Thanks Ron. FWIW, I had looked at both of those rules. What throws me off (probably just over-thinking it) is that a vehicle mounted FT would not be considered a SW but rather a Gun that does not have an IFE equivelant. As a Gun not using IFE - shouldn't it use the To Hit table before resolving an effect?

I missed the significance of the "but otherwise work the same" which you highlighted in red. I'm assuming that that quote is the basis for assuming the Gun version of the FT does not use the To Hit table.

Chris

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The question would be whether A22.34 addresses SW FT only or all FT generally. The text of A22.34 could be read as applying to any variety and is thus not clear. The balance of A22 answers the question.

A22.1 ... (even vehicular FT) ...

A22.31 ... [EXC: OVR; D7.11].

A22.32 ... A vehicular FT with a Normal Range of two hexes ... No FT may attack more than one Location at a time. ...

A22.4 ... The PRC of a vehicle equipped with a FT ...

A22.1 through A22.5 address both kinds of FT, SW and vehicles equipped. The methodology described in A22.34 does not restrict itself ot SW and therefore applies to both varieties.