Vehicle main armament fire

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
So my Tank is parked up (stationary) at the start of its Movement phase.

1. If i choose to fire my main gun before moving, do i still pay Case C bounding fire penalties (+2 case B, +2 Turreted)?

2. If my Tank remains stationary for all of its movement phase and doesn't fire, it incurs a +2 penalty for firing in AFPh even though it hasn't moved, correct?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
1 Yes. You are using Bounding First Fire (fire during your own MPh), which uses case C [C5.33], which uses case B. Or put another way, if you could fire in your own MPh without penalty, why would you ever Prep Fire?

2 Yes.

JR

Last edited:

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
so if my tank is stationary all game, it suffers case C+B in its own movement phase, but can fire in its defensive fire phase with no mods (i.e. my tank is more accurate in its own defensive fire phase than its movement?

Thats how i read the rules, and you've confirmed it - feels odd though.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
so if my tank is stationary all game, it suffers case C+B in its own movement phase, but can fire in its defensive fire phase with no mods (i.e. my tank is more accurate in its own defensive fire phase than its movement?

Why would a moving tank be more accurate than a stationary tank? As for the disparity between AFPh and DFPh, that is true of infantry as well-- if you want the full effect, use the PFPh. Waiting gives the unit more flexibility to move, but at a cost, even if the player decides not to move.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
First accuracy is not necessarily the cause of the difference. A vehicle that fires during the DFPh (when stationary) or PFPh is assumed to spend a substantial part of the turn lobbing shells at a target, meaning it is more likely to score a useful hit with one of them. A vehicle that fires during its MPh is assumed only firing a part of the turn.

During the DFPh a Motion vehicle also uses case C & case B, so it's not a question of comparing the accuracy of a vehicle firing in the MPh vs. the DFPh, you should be comparing the accuracy of vehicles that are stationary much of the time vs. vehicles that are moving much of the time.

JR

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Keeping in mind that if you remain in motion, those moving penalties apply during DFPh as well. If you're in motion there's no free lunch unless you happen to be armed with a FT.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Keeping in mind that if you remain in motion, those moving penalties apply during DFPh as well. If you're in motion there's no free lunch unless you happen to be armed with a FT.
A non-stopped FT is halved. The FT is an exception in that even during its MPh/AFPh, if the vehicle stops it fires as Bounding First Fire/Bounding Fire at full FP. A FT attack represents only a few seconds of fire at most.

JR

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, I know all that. I just wanted to make sure the OP realized that those penalties carried into other phases besides the "movement" phase.