Vehicle * Machine Gun

bocko57

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am looking at the Italian M14/41 tank. It has the following MGs 4*/4. What does the * stand for? From what I have read it means the MG cannot fire in the VCA but for some reason I think it means something else.

Thanks.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I would look on the back of the counter where all these extra little markings are often noted/explained.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I am looking at the Italian M14/41 tank. It has the following MGs 4*/4. What does the * stand for? From what I have read it means the MG cannot fire in the VCA but for some reason I think it means something else.
If a special note star has five points, there is short explanation on the back side of the counter and a more detailed explanation in chapter H. If it is six-pointed as for this star you have to refer to chapter H. Vehicle note 9 does not mention it, but if you look on the Italian vehicle listing table, under BMG you will see a dagger with a one (†¹) that sends you to the notes column of the table. Under the notes column †¹ refers to Italian MAVN B, which is, "The 4-FP BMG may be Scrounged as one or two LMG (as per D10.5); however, it is considered one MG for malfunction, repair and disablement purposes."

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
If a special note star has five points, there is short explanation on the back side of the counter and a more detailed explanation in chapter H. If it is six-pointed as for this star you have to refer to chapter H.
For the love of God - this subtle difference in meaning never occurred to me.

von Marwitz

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The "six-pointed" star is really an asterisk, BTW. Back then printing six-pointed starts was probably a lot of work. Today we have the marvelous, wonderful unicode, which makes it easy to add three-pointed stars (?), four-pointed stars (✦), six-pointed stars (✶), eight-pointed stars (✷), twelve-pointed stars (?) or even asterisms (⁂).

JR

JAGgamer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If a special note star has five points, there is short explanation on the back side of the counter and a more detailed explanation in chapter H. If it is six-pointed as for this star you have to refer to chapter H. Vehicle note 9 does not mention it, but if you look on the Italian vehicle listing table, under BMG you will see a dagger with a one (†¹) that sends you to the notes column of the table. Under the notes column †¹ refers to Italian MAVN B, which is, "The 4-FP BMG may be Scrounged as one or two LMG (as per D10.5); however, it is considered one MG for malfunction, repair and disablement purposes."

JR
At some point, frankly, one must wonder why the heck one plays a game that requires such explanations as that paragraph. I mean, really? I'm supposed to know all of that for something I do for fun? I will concede that I appreciate the fact that someone on this forum can keep all of that straight and recall it quickly.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
At some point, frankly, one must wonder why the heck one plays a game that requires such explanations as that paragraph. I mean, really? I'm supposed to know all of that for something I do for fun? I will concede that I appreciate the fact that someone on this forum can keep all of that straight and recall it quickly.
It's the same enjoyment everyone gets from slamming their head on a table. Would you give that up too?

I don't remember it. I just remember that an asterisk has some significance somewhere, possibly chapter H. The fact that there was no note on the backside told me that a six-pointed star (asterisk, really) is not the back (and that the five-pointed must be). Those notes on the backside generally aren't very useful anyway. So I dug through the vehicle notes. I knew that there was an explanation of the different kinds of note stars somewhere in the ASLRB, but I don't need to read the explanation to find the information, so I did not see C2.9, although I have probably read it in the past. The five- and six-pointed stars are also shown and explained on the inside cover of your ASLRB binder.

JR

Last edited:

JAGgamer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's the same enjoyment everyone gets from slamming their head on a table. Would you give that up too?

I don't remember it. I just remember that an asterisk has some significance somewhere, possibly chapter H. The fact that there was no note on the backside told me that a six-pointed star (asterisk, really) is not the back (and that the five-pointed must be). Those notes on the backside generally aren't very useful anyway. So I dug through the vehicle notes. I knew that there was an explanation of the different kinds of note stars somewhere in the ASLRB, but I don't need to read the explanation to find the information, so I did not see C2.9, although I have probably read it in the past. The five- and six-pointed stars are also shown and explained on the inside cover of your ASLRB binder.

JR

JR
No. I'm an old Infantryman and can hit my head against hard objects with the best of them. Never, ever give up.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
You don't remember these things to play the game. I play the game, and didn't remember reading about the difference between an asterisk and a five-pointed star. Actually, the difference comes into play once in a blue moon; plus, whenever you're preparing for a scenario, you should check the vehicle notes (and the back of the counter) anyway.

No, the real reason you remember these things is so people can marvel at your rules expertise on Gamesquad. I'd try to, but these guys have too much of a head start, I'll never be able to catch up with them.