Vehicle Free Facing Change

ds

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just read a reference stating that an AFV can rotate it's VCA during DFPh (if it hasn't fired), citing rule C3.22. However, I'm reading C3.22 as applying only to Guns.

I'm new to all this vehicle stuff, so I'm sure there's just something I'm missing/mis-reading.

Can some clarify?

UXB

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Vehicles too

NRBH, but we've always played it this way. If in the Defensive Fire Phase,
a vehicle has no DFF counter, it can change TCA or VCA at will.

One use of this is to avoid the Turret change DRMs in the upcoming Prep Fire
Phase, thus anticipating a currently out-of-LOS target coming into LOS in the Advance Phase.

I think there are weird situations like being in a AT minefield, changing VCA it
undergoes an AT minefiled attack. Or you can also Area Fire into an empty hex to gain acquisition, also anticipating that somebody will Advance there later, or to offer a little intimidation to make him rethink going there.

HTH
U

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ds said:
I just read a reference stating that an AFV can rotate it's VCA during DFPh (if it hasn't fired), citing rule C3.22. However, I'm reading C3.22 as applying only to Guns.

I'm new to all this vehicle stuff, so I'm sure there's just something I'm missing/mis-reading.

Can some clarify?
Hello,

First, note that for firing purposes, a weapon on a 5/8" counter and firing as ordnance is a Gun. (See the Index.) So C3.22 also applies to vehicles with Guns.

However, for more specifics on VCA changes, see D2.11, in particular this last sentence: "A VCA can also be changed ... at the end of any fire phase in which it is still eligible to fire a turret/bow-mounted weapon (3.12 and C3.22)."

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Bruce Bakken