VCA change Bog check

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
There's a German StuG in a woods hex. During the American's MPh, a Sherman appears behind of it out of nowhere. The StuG declares Defensive Fire and turns it's VCA, but fails to pass the Bog check.

Is it stuck in it's original or in the new position?

D8.2 BOG only says: "The Bog effect always takes place in the Bog hex, whether the vehicle is attempting to enter or (in the case of vehicles leaving a stream or trucks leaving a gully; B20.46) leave it."

Bonus question: Does a Mired vehicle count as Immobile?

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Original position. Yes, a Mired/Bogged vehicle is Immobile.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
D8.2 A vehicle must make a Bog Check as dictated by the Terrain Chart for ... making any VCA change (one Bog DR per hexspine)". If it does not make (not *attempt*) a VCA change, it does not make a Bog DR. I read it as the unit makes its Bog Check after it changes VCA (one hexside). I thought there was a Q&A on this but I can't find it.

Although the index forgets to mention mired, D.7 does.

JR

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The only two Q&A I found were for hedges (bogged in hex trying to leave) and woods/road (bogged ON road, not in woods portion of road). I've always played it that way, although it would be lovely to play the other way, increasing the effectiveness of vehicles in woods/buildings.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The only two Q&A I found were for hedges (bogged in hex trying to leave) and woods/road (bogged ON road, not in woods portion of road). I've always played it that way, although it would be lovely to play the other way, increasing the effectiveness of vehicles in woods/buildings.
My first thought was that there was a Q&A saying the bog happened before the CA change, but I can't find anything on the matter. I read the rule as saying the CA change has to happen in order to force the bog check.

JR

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Bog check before the change when turning VCA fire, after when turning VCA when moving.