Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Please refer to the attached map section.

An AFV in K6 moves into bypass of the L6 building on the L6-L5 hexside. Can it then spend 3 MP to pivot and move into bypass of the M6 building on the M6-L6 hexside?

I ask because it feels a little like teleporting from hex L6 to hex M6.

View attachment 53614

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
It's okay, there is no penalty for "jumping" from one side of the hexside to the other side one hex further.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
I actually don't think so. When bypassing in L5/L6, doesn't he have to physically be in ONE of those two hexes? However:

2.33 VCA CHANGES: VCA changes by a vehicle using VBM are limited to the two hexsides of the VCA at the CAFP (i.e., the two hexspines of its CAFP which are not straddled by its counter). Therefore, a Bypassing vehicle desiring to move must either move (outright or via Bypass) into the hex which forms the base of its VCA, or pay one MP for a VCA change to continue Bypass along a connecting hexside of that CAFP (other than the one it just traversed)...
If the tank is in L5, it can turn to move down the L5/M6 hexside. If in L6, it can turn into L6/M6. In both cases, I think it must remain in the hex...

Otherwise, I think all the AFV could do is ENTER (not bypass) M6 as it's two potential hexsides seem to be outside the VCA of a vehicle on L5/L6. Once again, I admit I am not sure about this!

I guess the real question is whether one of the M6 hexsides can be in the VCA of L5/L6.

Interesting problem!

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
See the D2.23 EX. Per the last sentence it cannot "jump hexes" from K2 to J2 but only because the building in J2 is too close to the hexside. If it were not for that, the vehicle could turn the corner and bypass in the other hex. Whenever moving into bypass on a hexside, as long as it is not otherwise prohibited (e.g. obstacle too close) and there are obstacles on both sides the vehicle may bypass in either hex of the hexside, whether or not it was in bypass before it moved into the new hexside.

JR

Last edited:

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
See the D2.23 EX. Per the last sentence it cannot "jump hexes" from K2 to J2 but only because the building in J2 is too close to the hexside. If it were not for that, the vehicle could turn the corner and bypass in the other hex. Whenever moving into bypass on a hexside, as long as it is not otherwise prohibited (e.g. obstacle too close) and there are obstacles on both sides the vehicle may bypass in either hex of the hexside, whether or not it was in bypass before it moved into the new hexside.

JR
Aha! The example does make it clear. Sorry to have misfired here!

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi Michael
You can bypass with no problems, 2 MP for L5-L6, a pivot for 1 MP , then 2 MP for L6-m6 then 1 MP for M7. You have space on both sides of the counter that is free of an obstacle on both L5- L6 and L6-M6. You could even bypass along L6-M7 for 3 more MP or along M6-M7 for 3 more MP. You can also choose what side of the hexside you want, I personally would choose the L6 side, That way if L5 is considered blocking or inhibiting the movement of the entire hex, then you can use the L6 side.

Shane

Last edited: