VBM Freezing a Fortified Building

Arch71

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hey Everyone, I did try searching for a response so apologies if this has already been raised (im sure it has somewhere).

This came up in our game last night, it made a big difference but we played it that as we couldn't find anything in the rules then it worked, can't change the result as we played it that way and finished the game but I still don't think this is valid.

We played 800 heroes and the poor Chinese are defending a fortified factory, the japs are attacking and they have 4 x shitty tanks, basically used to VBM freeze across the map which is fine (he lost 3 x tanks eventually this way), but it hurt hard when it came to the fortified building, having my squad locked up in CC by a VBM freeze meant he could simply approach and run around the building freely.

If VBM freezing a fortified building cannot be done, would you be so kind as to reference the rules so I know for future lookups :)

Cheers,
Steve

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
If VBM freezing a fortified building cannot be done, would you be so kind as to reference the rules so I know for future lookups :)
There is no such exception in the Target Selection Limit rule, A7.212:

"A unit does not have the freedom to attack units in other Locations while its own Location is occupied by a Known enemy unit (even if disrupted) unless the only known enemy unit in its Location is an unarmed, unarmored vehicle..."

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I recall the scenario properly, the proper use for those tanks in that scenario is to crash into the fortified building and create a breach so the infantry can follow up and enter. The freeze up is just a bonus.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
but it hurt hard when it came to the fortified building, having my squad locked up in CC by a VBM freeze meant he could simply approach and run around the building freely.
It's worse than you think; if the tank is stopped and the CC continues into a Melee, the defending infantry are no longer Good Order and can no longer prevent enemy infantry from entering (B23.922).

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
It's worse than you think; if the tank is stopped and the CC continues into a Melee, the defending infantry are no longer Good Order and can no longer prevent enemy infantry from entering (B23.922).
Good catch, another -very- unsavory effect of VBM sleaze :(

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Good catch, another -very- unsavory effect of VBM sleaze :(
Yes, who would have thought that being actively assaulted by enemy AFVs could be such an annoying experience?

As vM notes, it's not necessarily all fun-and-games for those assaulting AFV, though. It's all a trade-off of risks vs. gains.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Yeah, even if you have Infantry ready to enter CC to protect the AFV, the risks are not negligible. I guess the biggest problem many players have with the tactic is that it's highly non-historical (though, overall, what you have in the situation I describe above is an AFV providing support to suppress fire from an enemy position for an Infantry assault).

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I've used the tactic many times in the history of my ASL games. It's been in the rules since 1985, that's over 30 years of history right there.

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
You may use an AFV with passenger/riders to get some protection vs CC

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I've used the tactic many times in the history of my ASL games. It's been in the rules since 1985, that's over 30 years of history right there.
A fine tactic, which should be used for the best effects.
I keep away from the "historical" and "realism" arguments, which are very weak and mutually contradictory.
VBM freeze can be countered in different ways (I am looking forward to the announced article on that topic in Journal 12).
In late war situations, with SCW around (in particular facing PF toting Axis forces) VBM freeze becomes less interesting.
My focus is on dice rolls, hex grid terrain and cardboard toy soldiers.
History is quite in the far background when the game has started.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
After you finish reading this thread, pick up ASL Journal 12 and read Peter Struif's fine article.