VBM Entry on a half hex?

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Should that matter? There's precedent for mutiple units occupying the same Location. Shrug?
It matters in this discussion given the specific prohibition of multiple vehicles sharing a common bypassed hexside, yet it allows for multiple units sharing a common CAFP vertex. Indeed, the precedent of allowing overstacking is there, however, do we have precedent of multiple units in the same Location above the stacking limit, that does not invoke the overstacking rules? You could easily have a situation with 3 vehicles sharing 1 CAFP and no overstacking, which would again, suggest the CAFP view is not as strongly supported.

Call it supporting evidence, perhaps just circumstantial evidence, although I am an engineer, not a lawyer. Engineers tend to work with "non-fungible" rules, and the law is very fungible given it was created by humans.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
The point that I was making was that the AFV could bypass L20/L21 in reverse and stop there,
Good point, BUT that is not part of the on board hex and therefore would be eliminated if it doesn't continue onboard.
You could do EXACTLY that BUT you'd have to continue to be on board. It's a half hex not a full hex...only the half hex exists for game purposes.
There are rules for movement offboard and those are sufficient to allow the bypassing, but not remaining on the half that doesn't exist.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm an engineer too and I just don't see your point. I've asked "how does that matter? " twice without understanding the relevance of your point. So let's call it a day and wait for the Perry Ex Machina to swoop in and set things aright.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A question was asked: In a specific situation, what is the on/off-board status of a unit?

Two answers are given, each with its own hypothesis on how to treat the unit.

Support of each of those hypothesis are being discussed.
Supporting "CAFP":
LOS to/from a vehicle in bypass is traced to the CAFP.
Supporting "Hexside":
LOS Hindrance is based on the entire hexside
Movement restrictions are based on the hexside
CAFP view requires vehicle facing to determine whether a vehicle bypassing the same hexside is on/off-board, Hexside view uses the hexside to determine on/off-board status.

In the end, the only thing that matters is how Perry answers the question.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kinda funny, Engineers vs Architect/Lawyers. I appreciate the spirited responses.

Is Perry more like a engineer or a lawyer/architect ?

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kinda funny, Engineers vs Architect/Lawyers. I appreciate the spirited responses.

Is Perry more like a engineer or a lawyer/architect ?
I couldn't tell. I have seen quick responses that didn't make sense to me, and then he reversed it later when it actually went to print. I have also seen responses that after going through the response I have understood the position better and have changed my interpretation to match. In the aggregate, I give him a big thumbs up in dealing with all these esoteric situations and making sense of it all. I believe his steady hand on it has greatly helped keep the game as popular as it is.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL appeals to the complicated mind. Many disciplines find attraction. History buffs, military tacticians, mathematically oriented ventures, and legalistic application of rules to situations. My perception is that ASL, like high end poker, is a mathematical exercise. Unlike high end poker, ASL rests on the legalistic application of rules to situations. The history and battles provide a stage for that application of math and law to a game. Why play games? Huberman thinks it is homeostatic -- it is good for our brains:

I listen on spotify. Available on youtube:

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL appeals to the complicated mind. Many disciplines find attraction. History buffs, military tacticians, mathematically oriented ventures, and legalistic application of rules to situations.
I completely agree with your first point. I find myself in the first two categories. However, what attracts me to ASL is not the opportunity to apply math and law to a game, but the opportunity to apply history to a game (to the extent that is even possible). But that's just me.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you don't enjoy the platform (military history), then the applications become tedious exercises. It takes both abilities and the interest in the platform to enjoy ASL.