VASSAL updates?

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since I've been off the web for months now, I decided to update my VASSAL/VASL through my work computer. When I went to the site and tried to download, it appreared all you can do at this time is download/install through the automatic loader.

Is there anyway I can download what I need to my memory stick, and then carry it home to install on my home computer?

Alan

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Your computer has to have the newest version of Java. Other than that, I think that VASL and VASSAL run without looking outside of the directory. If that is true, then you would only have to copy the directory onto a memory stick or other portable disk format to transport.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
the issue is that when I go to download the latest version, it automatically goes into an installation mode on my work computer. This is clearly not what I want (well, if they would pay me to play, sure), rather the previous versions downloaded a simple zip file you could then just unzip where ever you wanted to place the software.

Maybe I didn't wait long enough, but when it started to download java software that started changing my systray and doing who knows what else I had to stop. For now I am stuck on version 1.2.3, and since I'm not online it doesn't matter much anyway.

My big concern is it appears to automatically change things on the computer (like put in their background stuff on the systray that goes and looks for updates, etc.) that I will never know what happened, and when I have a problem with something else will never be able to correct. It is the standard these days - and just plain sucks. No piece of software should install that way. It should allow you to opt out of certain things you do not want that are not impaortant to you operating, rather they are important for the SW vendor to keep getting you to come back.

What are the latest versions of VASSAL and VASL?

Alan

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alan-

Have you emailed Rodney Kinney? It sounds to me like you are describing a phenomenon that didn't occur to either of my computers (1 work, 1 home) when I installed the latest VASSAL/VASL; nothing was re-written in any functional or noticeable way.

-Chas

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chas Argent said:
Alan-

Have you emailed Rodney Kinney? It sounds to me like you are describing a phenomenon that didn't occur to either of my computers (1 work, 1 home) when I installed the latest VASSAL/VASL; nothing was re-written in any functional or noticeable way.

-Chas
Alan,

Sigh, for once I have to agree with Chas. VASL runs in a JAVA sandbox outside most of your OS, the only connections or systray actions are when you click the webstart service (the jnlp file which uses the JAVA runtime enviroment) to connect to the VASSAL server. I really do not know how to explain to you what is going on without getting very technical. But the main plus to JAVA programs are their ability to run outside the OS basically. True, VASL does make one exception which you have to agree to, that it be able to write to the VASSAL directory on your PC for updates. I installed mine on drive E: so I do not know what you mean by not being able to put it where you want it.
The latest VASL version is 4.1.2 and VASSAL is 1.3.4.1.

As for a work PC, I certainly hope you checked with your IT dept before installing the latest JRE.

Keith

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, I went to www.vassalengine.org and see the problem, so to speak. I no longer have a selection to download the engine or the VASL file. maybe I am in the wrong place. The option I have is to use the "Web Start" to download. I have never used this before, and it installs on my computer in order to do anything. this is the stuff that gets loaded into my systray and causes havock with my work computer.

Is this what you guys used to download your latest copies? It also states the latest is 1.3.1.1. Clearly this is the wrong place to get 1.3.4.1. Is there another location?

I have multiple versions of VASL since 3.0 was around, with no problems. I know what it has allowed me to do in the past, I have copies in several locations (i.e., a VASL 3.0 and a VASL 4.0, with 2 different places for VASL 3.0 so I can save both the server IP and a direct IP).

I think I just have a link to the wrong place to get the latest ASL versions.

Alan

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First you want to install the new SUN JRE as noted on the webpage at http://www.vasl.org/ and then install the new VASL. It will then bring you up to the latest versions of both the engine and VASL. If you do not want the Java icon in your systray just right click on it and exit.

Basically if you follow the directions at http://www.vasl.org/, your chances are pretty good for a good install. Read all the directions and notes.

Keith

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What it seems ABills is attempting to do is this....

Download the items to his work computer WITHOUT ACTUALLY INSTALLING VASL OR the JRE, and then take the files home on a disc and install them on his home PC.

Previous versions of VASL allowed you to do do this, however the current one is set up to install over the web and not to be downloaded first.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mr Guest hit it exactly. I can not install it on my work computer - not allowed.

It appears the old methods have been changed to only allow the web install, hence my home computer needs an internet interface in order to load. In addition, it appears I can not load it on my laptop without giving my laptop an internet interface, therefore I can not work with it while on travel (i.e., working a setup, just mucking around, etc.).

Alan

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
ABills said:
In addition, it appears I can not load it on my laptop without giving my laptop an internet interface, therefore I can not work with it while on travel (i.e., working a setup, just mucking around, etc.).

Alan
Hmm, that has not been my experience.

After loading (and sometimes updating) via the automatic interrnet method, I can run VASL when not hooked up to the net. I verified this just a minute ago. Of course, I'm running the last version that was installed from the automatic method, but then, everybody else is too.

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jazz said:
Hmm, that has not been my experience.

After loading (and sometimes updating) via the automatic interrnet method, I can run VASL when not hooked up to the net. I verified this just a minute ago. Of course, I'm running the last version that was installed from the automatic method, but then, everybody else is too.
Agree.
I have had absolutely no problems using VASL offline.

Keith

pryoung

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think Alan's point was not that it wouldn't run offline. If I understood correctly, his home computer doesn't have an internet connection, so he can't download the program in the first place. Since the new version only installs with the web-install approach, there is no longer a handy ZIP file or something comparable he can download at work and bring home to install. Is that right?

Pete

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
And I have a similar problem... I'd like to be able to download VASL and burn it onto CD for a friend who only has a slow internet connection (28k!!!) and who keeps getting his connection cut off before he can download the full VASL. If VASL were to go back to being a downloadable .exe file, that'd solve the problem and make it much easier to distribute.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Exactly the soruce of my problem. Being extremely cheap, I have refused to pay for installation of cable in my temporary apartment. I also have no phone (cell phone works fine). That leaves my internet experience / connection at work.

The laptop problem still exists for me - my laptop is sooo old I do not have an ethernet card for it, and don't intend on updating anything on it. It still has the old VASL 3 on it, but not VASL 4.0. I suspect it will not even run the new java so it is most likely not a problem.

I have all the old versions of VASSAL/VASL. I was just looking to update because the last version I downloaded had a bug that wouldn't allow me to start VASL 4.0. I backed that out to the previous verion and can play now, but was looking to get the latest. I know the team is busy updating graphics and doing all sorts of great things to make it better.

I am in luck, COMCAST now has a special for free installation, so I may be getting it soon.....