Vassal Q&A

KLG

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought this forum could use a topic like this. A place for users to ask questions and get some help from the more experienced module designers. I've already learned quite a few things just form the few days I've been visiting this board.

Here's a question to start it off...

One aspect of putting a mod together is whether the game is limited to the units in the counter set or not. The Game Piece Palette is a great tool for counters that are not limited in their use, but what is the best way of setting up force pools when there is a limit on each type of combat unit involved. I've been creating a force pool map and then placing the units on it using at-start-stacks. It can mean a lot of repetition in large games setting up each piece, even if it's just copying and pasting a piece definition multiple times.

Is there an easier way that I'm not thinking of? Thanks in advance :)

Swampwallaby

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi Kevin,

Personally, I can't stand At-Start stacks because of the way you have to redefine every piece. I have yet to define one in any module.

I always do Scenario start-up as save games and include them in the module. I don't include the Delete command on counters and usually use a Graveyard instead. The, you can create a second GamePiece palette for markers if needed and hide the main palette.

If the setup is variable, then instead of placing the pieces on the map, I make up a 'Scenario card' and put all the counters on that.

I try and create the Scenario start files as late as possible in the game cycle so that the design has settled down by then.

Cheers,
Brent.

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Kevin,

You're close to having it automated - load up the module, join as a "master" player (access to both sides if you have any restrictions) and then set up the pieces on the OOB chart. Save the game (.sav), exit. Start the editor back up again, and select that .sav as a pre-defined setup:

And then you can "hide" the game piece palette so that there is no "Pieces" other than what you set up in your pre-defined set up:

Check out my "Texas Revolution" mod if you want to see this "in action". :)

EDIT: Brent beat me to it!

KLG

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's cool. I was actually thinking about trying something like this today, which is what got me thinking about it.

Thanks guys, now I'm off to check out Texas Revolution.