Vassal EST

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
Retired gamer looking for VASL. Did tons of classic SL. Been playing ASL quite a bit but need more schooling. I'm open to any time since I have all the time in the world retired. woo hoo.

RigmorMalmsteen

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hello Neal,
Are you looking for a PBeM game (which I can do) or a live game via Skype? I used to play regularly some 25 years ago but life and kids put that on hold till this year. I have a half dozen FtF games under my belt thus far and things are coming back to me but I'm a passably mediocre player at best. How's that for a sales pitch!

Jean

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
live VASL and SKYPE. I'm afraid PBEM might be excruciatingly slow. I just can't imagine playing that way.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
live VASL and SKYPE. I'm afraid PBEM might be excruciatingly slow. I just can't imagine playing that way.
You set up a live VASL game and fill in with a PbeM game or two. The PbeM games are no rush and played at your leisure.

RigmorMalmsteen

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
No worries Neal. Alas I can do 30 minutes here and there after work or play time with the family, but just can't get that sweet 6 hour chunk of time to get a game down to conclusion these days.

SteelDragon

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Neal,
I am interested in live VASL with Skype. I am available most evenings from 6:30 to 11:30 CST during the week from Monday to Thursday. Most weekends I am busy with family. I would be available to play 1-3 times a week for 2-3 hours at a time. One of the good things about VASL is that it is easy to save the game and pick it back up later. No need to worry about leaving the maps and counters setup for your kids or pets to obliterate. Contact me if you are interested.

Ramon

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Live has a lot of advantages over PBEM... the whole back and forth of the Mph and Defensive Fire was designed for live play... it takes some minor PBEM skill to get that crucial phase right, and getting thru a single big active Mph can take several logs... days of back and forth logs to get thru one Mph... excruciating? No. It's slow, yes slow... but excruciating, not really. Excruciating slowness occurs in live play... as your opponent carefully looks under a concealment counter, scrunches up his eyes... sighs... looks under it again... frowns... brings his attention to a different concealed stack, peaks under that one too shielding it from your view .... shakes his head... returns to the first stack, peeks at it again. Places chin in hand. Thinks. Picks up rule book and begins looking for a rule, a particular rule, he'd ask you about the rule, but, well, that would give too much away, wouldn't it? ... now YOU sigh and He gives you a disdainful sniff -- "oh, so you're one of those 'in-a-rush' players?" It's been three hours. It's turn 1... It won't get better....

In PBEM... all that is on your opponent's time... you just get a log in the mail. Maybe it took a half hour to create, maybe 48 solid sleepless hours... what's it to you? PBEM is IMHO one of the best ways to avoid excruciating slowness! And don't get me wrong, I prefer playing live against most opponents.... most.

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
ha. you got me there. AP Analysis Paralysis is my pet peeve. I'm a quick player. But watching people hem and haw and fuss around is truly excrutiating. I literally won't play with some people because of this. You have me thinking..........................