Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
VASSAL 3.7.8 Released

Download: https://github.com/vassalengine/vassal/releases/tag/3.7.8

Release notes: https://vassalengine.org/wiki/VASSAL_3.7_Release_Notes

Changes since 3.7.7

New features
  • 12898: Improved "Refresh Predefined Setups": Expanded "orphan counter" functionality - reporting / ability to repair (sub-option); ability to do additional processing via a special post-refresh Global Hotkey, optionally without routine refresh reporting; new filter field and associated functionality for Predefined Setup Refresh; other UI improvements
Bug fixes
  • 13102: Current Location Fast Match was not recognizing pieces in same location but not same X, Y position
  • 13097: CountMap() by Property gives Bad Data error
  • 13087: Fix 'Apply on Move' description in Deck Send Key Command
  • 13083: Show Piece Property menu on Expression Builder trait fields
  • 13081: Sleep function now sleeps correct number of milliseconds instead of 2000
  • 13073: Attachments are lost after Undo
  • 13072: Cargo now correctly follows Mat after Moved Fixed Distance
  • 13057: Remove Unused Images does not find any images in use in an Extension
  • 13049: Compute correct _Degrees property for free rotations
  • 13040: Show correct sides in Wizard after using Prev button
  • 5813: Prevent Wizard crashing when using Prev/Next when no Password exist
Other improvements
  • 13119: Upgrade bundled Java to 21.0.2
  • 13101: Added Return to Deck to trait list in Reference Manual
  • 13092: Assorted documentation updates

Last edited:

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Any good reason to update VASSAL if the only module one uses is VASL? (sorry, but not knowing any of the VASSAL internals, I have some difficulty parsing the changelog)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Any good reason to update VASSAL if the only module one uses is VASL? (sorry, but not knowing any of the VASSAL internals, I have some difficulty parsing the changelog)
Even if VASSAL updates would not address its own bugs or some others that need to be fixed in conjunction with VASL, updating generally makes sense. At least for the included updated JAVA builds, which might address some security issues of that application.

I don't know if the latest two updates also address things related to ASL. in v3.7.7. and v3.7.8 the "Screenshot" function of VASL does not work anymore - it still did in v3.7.6. But this new bug has already been reported. As VASSAL updates are released frequently, hopefully, this one will be fixed soon.

von Marwitz

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The only support there is for versions of Vassal prior to the current version is the suggestion to upgrade to the current version. If you want to use a version containing bugs we've already fixed, that's up to you, but it's not what I recommend.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In my experience I have found that bug fixes in VASSAL sometimes fix things in VASL that I didn't even no were a problem. I am clearly an early adopter in that regard and highly recommend going with the latest. The update is extremely painless. For VASL I find it best to play with the latest release, in this case 667. I have the latest 668beta versions as well but usually restrict those for helping with bug fixes, etc until the team can work out any issues and release that build.